Will Jamaal Charles be a member of the Chiefs next season?

Agreed. I think he'll try to play elsewhere though. Perhaps somewhere in his home state of Texas. He may even have a good season left in him. Done in KC. That's a shame but the smart thing is to move on.

I like the kid on the practice squad. Look out for Reaves next year. Dorsey may have found another gem.

Agreed. I think he'll try to play elsewhere though. Perhaps somewhere in his home state of Texas. He may even have a good season left in him. Done in KC. That's a shame but the smart thing is to move on.

I like the kid on the practice squad. Look out for Reaves next year. Dorsey may have found another gem.

does he try to hook on with another team like Arian Foster? would be strange to see him in another uni,

but we should not hang on too long as we have done with Hali

I disagree. Hali has been good this year in a limited role. He's still the best pass rusher on the right side.

i base my statement on how little i hear him mentioned either on the tv or radio broadcasts...or maybe it is because we are not getting into the opponents

backfield as much as we did before

I disagree. Hali has been good this year in a limited role. He's still the best pass rusher on the right side.

He's done a lot of things that haven't shown up on the Stat sheet. He goes against NFL LT's week in and week out. That's tough - Ford has struggled to get pressure on the right side in place of Hali.

I believe Nick Jacobs offered his opinion on the matter, and I agree with him...

Jamaal will be with KC next year, under and reworked contract.  There are three factors that make this most likely possible.

1.  No team will pay any decent amount of money for him given his current situation

2.  Kansas City would be smart to keep him, as the dead money paid will probably be equal or less than what he would sign for elsewhere anyway

3.  This years draft is about as DEEP as it will ever get for RBs.  And I'm not talking about just at the top.  Its realistic to believe a RB taken in the 6th-7th Round will be expected to be a contributor from day

one. 

He stays or retires... 

I have to believe Jamaal Charles wants to return, and he wants to end his career with the Chiefs. A few years ago, Charles contemplated retiring, and the last place he wanted to be was with this team. With the help of his wife, and a new staff, Charles has developed a passion for the team, and it's followers. He still lives in Texas, and has roots there. However, he is now balanced, and at peace.

I agree with Nick Jacobs, whose comments nearly mirror what I sent him in the way of a tweet. Charles can extend, and moved some of his money around to help the Chiefs in terms of their cap. I do not know if Jamaal Charles is done or not. I don't think he knows. I don't believe the Chiefs' organization knows. What we do know is his knee is not responding as they would like. Last I heard, Charles still experienced swelling in his knee following exercise. This was after they cleaned up both knees. The same can be said for Justin Houston, who is still having difficulty with his surgically repaired knee. Coach Reid called his knee "tender". We do not know the extent of cartilage damage, or whether either player tried to do to much too soon in their recover.

Both, Charles, and Houston may return for a few more good seasons, but it is also possible their careers may be done, or over soon.

Love them or hate them, there's one thing NE does better than most teams that keep them on top.  They let players go once they're past their peak.  KC can lose Charles, Hali, and maybe DJ and still have a competitive team via draft and FA with the extra cap space.  Time to move on.

Love them or hate them, there's one thing NE does better than most teams that keep them on top. They let players go once they're past their peak. KC can lose Charles, Hali, and maybe DJ and still have a competitive team via draft and FA with the extra cap space. Time to move on.

If there's one thing the pats do better than other teams it's to draft Tom Brady. End of story. The rest is fluff.

Love them or hate them, there's one thing NE does better than most teams that keep them on top. They let players go once they're past their peak. KC can lose Charles, Hali, and maybe DJ and still have a competitive team via draft and FA with the extra cap space. Time to move on.

But...they are also good at bringing in guys just past their prime, on low cost deals, who want a chance at a ring. Junior Seau, Corey Dillon, etc.

If there's one thing the pats do better than other teams it's to draft Tom Brady. End of story. The rest is fluff.

That certainly helped, but it takes more than one player to have continual success over that many years.  The Pats let players go before it's obvious to everyone else that they're slowing.  Ty Law and Wes Welker are just two examples off the top of my head.  I think most teams hang on to their aging stars too long and of course the fans base would scream if the Chiefs cut JC and Hali.  But a healthy rookie running back would have done a lot more for the Chiefs than Charles the past two years and even if Hali is accomplished and experienced, it's time to move on to a cheaper option to develop as backup to Ford and Houston.  DJ is about done even if he comes back next year.  Pay the players that have some milage left like Poe and Berry and stop using so much cap space on those about done.  It's a hard business, but it's also all about winning.

No, NE is cheap has nothing to do with productivity.

Don't see them as cheap, just smart about how they handle the cap issues that lots of less successful teams seem to face every year.  Shedding vets is one way.  Not tying up too much money on FAs is another.  Many don't like the organization or the coach, but that doesn't take away from how they manage.

Don't see them as cheap, just smart about how they handle the cap issues that lots of less successful teams seem to face every year. Shedding vets is one way. Not tying up too much money on FAs is another. Many don't like the organization or the coach, but that doesn't take away from how they manage.

Meh. Having an all time great QB covers up a lot of issues. Put a normal QB on that team and they don't even sniff the same success.

That's why the so called patriot way has not been duplicated elsewhere, though many have tried, including KC.

Meh. Having an all time great QB covers up a lot of issues. Put a normal QB on that team and they don't even sniff the same success.

That's why the so called patriot way has not been duplicated elsewhere, though many have tried, including KC.

It takes more than a Hall of Fame QB to maintain a top team for so many years.  Look at Indy in Mannings last year there.

Archived