Playoff odds

At present, Vegas has the Chiefs as 4 point favorites over the Chargers.  Denver is three point favorites over the Raiders.  The makes the odds of both games going the Chiefs' way at about 33%.  In simpler language, the Chiefs have about one chance in three of winning the west in spite of the Titans loss.  Some of us will get carpal tunnel syndrome from switching channels back and forth between the games if they're close.  I'm not sure the Donks will have their hearts into their game, but they hate the Raiders almost as much as the Chiefs do.

Edit:  Haven't checked, but the odds of the Chiefs losing and MIA winning are probably much longer.

At present, Vegas has the Chiefs as 4 point favorites over the Chargers. Denver is three point favorites over the Raiders. The makes the odds of both games going the Chiefs' way at about 33%. In simpler language, the Chiefs have about one chance in three of winning the west in spite of the Titans loss. Some of us will get carpal tunnel syndrome from switching channels back and forth between the games if they're close. I'm not sure the Donks will have their hearts into their game, but they hate the Raiders almost as much as the Chiefs do.

Edit: Haven't checked, but the odds of the Chiefs losing and MIA winning are probably much longer.

If we win and Raiders lose, the Titans game could serve us well. If one of those don't happen, then F the Tennessee game.

I know it was right after the game where emotions were all over the place but kubiak said this year was over and now will start looking at next year. One of the players pretty much said the same thing. As the week goes on things could change but I don't think they really care if they win and a win against Raiders won't really wash away a disappointing season.

Does make me wonder if Lynch won't start and they use it as a game to evaluate some other players and not play some starters.

Elway is fuming. Unfortunately, Elway is not suiting up Sunday against the Raiders. Their team was just too lean on talent. Maybe it was too much to ask. Their future Hall of Fame QB retired, and his backup, despite the current issues did not return. It was much more than that, because they lost a ton of other players to injuries and free agency.

Elway received accolades for returning his team to the Super Bowl, and winning it all. He did it by bringing in Peyton Manning, and leveraging that to bring valuable free agents, without busting the bank. Now he has to deal with the realities of the NFL. It isn't as easy as it seemed when he had Manning. Oh, and Romo is not Manning. 

I hope he mortgages the franchise to bring in Manning. I doubt he will, but we can hope.

Elway is fuming. Unfortunately, Elway is not suiting up Sunday against the Raiders. Their team was just too lean on talent. Maybe it was too much to ask. Their future Hall of Fame QB retired, and his backup, despite the current issues did not return. It was much more than that, because they lost a ton of other players to injuries and free agency.

Elway received accolades for returning his team to the Super Bowl, and winning it all. He did it by bringing in Peyton Manning, and leveraging that to bring valuable free agents, without busting the bank. Now he has to deal with the realities of the NFL. It isn't as easy as it seemed when he had Manning. Oh, and Romo is not Manning.

I hope he mortgages the franchise to bring in Manning. I doubt he will, but we can hope.

I hope they bring in Romo, that'll be fun. It's too easy beating Denver with these inexperienced QB's. Let's get some competition please

nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000763838/article/afc-playoff-picture-dont-count-out-raiders

Let's update as we get more info. AFC teams are set, it's all about seeding:

(1) New England - they win/tie OR the Raiders lose/tie and they get the #1 seed. If they lose and the Raiders win, the Raiders are #1.

(2) Oakland - see above for how they can move up. If the Chiefs win and the Raiders lose, they swap #2 and #5. Anything else, including ties, and the Raiders are #2 (or get to #1 with the above).

(3) Pittsburgh - locked in at #3

(4) Houston - locked in at #4

(5) Kansas City - we win and we are #2 or #5 depending on the Raiders. We lose and we are #5 or #6 depending on the Dolphins.

(6) Miami - they need to win and us to lose in order to swap spots. Anything else, including ties, and they stay at #6.

I don't care as much about the NFC, but if people want to discuss that too that's fine.

Thanks for the info. I always appreciate it. We really need to win and have those dog shit Donkeys pull it off. I think it can happen. Do you remember, I think it was one of Herm's years, when we needed to win and about 6 other teams needed to lose and it happened? On any Sunday...

So if the Raiders win, we would want the Patriots to lose because then we would play Houston and then Oakland and then New England most likely.

But if Oakland and we win and the Patriots win, the Raiders would be the second spot and we would play Houston, and the Patriots, provided we win. If we somehow beat the Patriots, we'd probably play Pittsburgh on the road.

We want to avoid 6th seed, of course, as that would be Pittsburgh, Patriots/Raiders, and then Raiders/Patriots, all on the road. Yes, I ruled out Houston or Miami in this situation. Almost Raiders, too, but then that might push Miami or Houston back into the fold.

If we get the sixth seed (KC loss, Miami win), I think the Steelers play the Patriots (beat Miami) in the AFCC. We can technically beat the Steelers anywhere, but on the road, I would bet a loss. At home, still not a clear favorite.

If we get the fifth seed, I see us beating Houston, and while we *could* beat the Patriots, I wouldn't bet on it. If Oakland steals first seed, we'd beat them I believe, and play Pitt/NE on the road. Miami at home, don't count on it.

If we get the second seed, we would get a bye week and likely play Pittsburgh at home. We *could* beat them or lose with no surprise from me. But if we did, we'd go on the road to play the Patriots.

If we win, Patriots lose, Oakland loses, we'd still get second seed to Patriots, I believe. Damn Tennessee, Houston, and Tampa Bay! (Thank you, Denver road win, Carolina, Atlanta.)

Yes, I do realize that I just said that we most likely won't get to the SB, but that was true before the season started. Getting that first seed was a major key. I will not say that we can't win it all, though. We needed to ask for the impossible – Bellicheat not winning with Garropolo. Or for us to not lose to freaking Tennessee, Tampa Bay, and Houston.

Archived