Do we rest starters?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Play them to win, but don't be playing them like Dallas played theirs with a 21 point lead in the 4th. If we lose a 21 point lead with backups in the 4th, it wasn't meant to be. Dallas had the number one seed locked up and they are trotting out Prescott for deep attempts. Come on, man!

Play the starters.  Maybe Houston is questionable and if so, give him another week off.  Surely, the staff will be watching the scoreboard and if OAK is winning or the Chiefs are well ahead or behind, then start moving in the subs.  Until then, gotta go for the bye week and home game.

Alex Smith should play at least the first half. He is the type of player who seems to need to play in order to stay in rhythm. Most of the players should play. Maybe start Charcandrick West in place of Spencer Ware. Ware hurt his ribs, and could use an extra week of rest. Let Houston have the day off. No one knows if he will be healthy during the playoffs. Give him some more time to rest that knee. I would play Justin March-Lillard sparingly, but enough to get him involved. Others, we may want to limit, such as Tyreek Hill who got pounded late in the game against Denver, and maybe Tamba Hali.

If the Chiefs develop a big lead, or if Denver shows they quit, then put some of the subs in, and let them finish. First, it is good to give them a chance to play. San Diego doesn't have a strong running team. I'd like to see what Bray can do out there in a real game. When else are you going to find out?

Winning the division would be huge. However, winning this game, losing the division anyway, and getting key players hurt would not be so great. The Chiefs can beat San Diego, and may be able to do it with some of their subs, such as Knile Davis, and Charcandrick West. I don't think Denver is going to put up much of a fight against Oakland. I think you have to be willing to be flexible on this one.

Guess you missed the JAX game.  We sat through that and Foles was awful.

Interesting. So I had to go back and check some games. Foles didn't have a great game vs JAX.

Foles vs JAX: 20/33 187 yds 1 TD 0 INT. 

Smith vs. TEN: 15/28 163 yds 0 TD 1 INT

Smith vs. CAR: 25/38 178 yds 0 TD 1 INT

JAX pass defense is ranked high than CAR or TEN and it's not even close.

They both played against the same defense in IND:

Smith vs IND: 9/19 127 yds 1 TD 0 INT  47%

Foles vs IND; 16/22 223 yds 2 TDs 0 INT 72%

So we write off Foles after one mediocre game that we won. Foles can easily fill in for Smith. It is one of the most replaceable positions on our team. We're lucky to have him.

I don't see why we should sit the starters unless someone is hurt. Fear of injury? That could happen any given week...not just week 17. Remember a few years ago when we played Indy in the playoffs? We lost how many players? In the playoff game.

Also there is still a chance we fall to the 6th seed isn't there? I think if we lose and Miami wins they move into the 5th spot. Meaning we would go on the road to face the Steelers as opposed to the Texans. Also, I think the Raiders might flounder without Carr. We have to play like we are fighting for the division title...not playing backups due to fear of injury. We have a shot at a bye week and a home playoff game. That is huge. I'm not satisfied with just making the playoffs this year. Our best chance at making some real noise is winning the West.

It doesn't matter, since Smith is not a gun slinger many in here will never support him. They will support the team and he is on the team so in essence say all the right things but at times like this they can't hide it.

Joe Montana was not a gunslinger. I supported him. I have been a huge Chiefs fan all my life. Am I just supposed to think everybody that puts on a Chiefs uniform is a superstar? I will support Alex on every snap he takes as a Chief. If we win the Super Bowl he'll become my all time favorite QB. I'm not trying to hide anything. I think people on this board know how I feel about Alex.  I want him to absolutely succeed. Whether he's a Chief, 49er or ends up in Cleveland I'll always consider him to be an average NFL QB. My point is, the difference between him and Foles, if needed, would be negligible. Kelce gets hurt. Serious drop off. Schwartz? Serious drop off. Tyreek, Berry, Peters, etc. We've seen what happened when DJ went down.  Some of you guys are a little too sensitive about Alex. Maybe we shouldn't say anything nice about other Chiefs (Foles) because it might insinuate bad things about Smith.

Joe Montana was not a gunslinger. I supported him. I have been a huge Chiefs fan all my life. Am I just supposed to think everybody that puts on a Chiefs uniform is a superstar? I will support Alex on every snap he takes as a Chief. If we win the Super Bowl he'll become my all time favorite QB. I'm not trying to hide anything. I think people on this board know how I feel about Alex. I want him to absolutely succeed. Whether he's a Chief, 49er or ends up in Cleveland I'll always consider him to be an average NFL QB. My point is, the difference between him and Foles, if needed, would be negligible. Kelce gets hurt. Serious drop off. Schwartz? Serious drop off. Tyreek, Berry, Peters, etc. We've seen what happened when DJ went down. Some of you guys are a little too sensitive about Alex. Maybe we shouldn't say anything nice about other Chiefs (Foles) because it might insinuate bad things about Smith.

I think there could be a serious drop off if Foles played. I also think that there could be a push. I do think that there could be an unsustainable streak of good or bad luck. I also know that Smith can get hot (or cold) as well. Sustainable success, I think Smith has the nod. If both got hot (first half Indy, not just winning/efficient hot), you would go with the better deep passer (because by the definition of "hot" above, that would mean the gunslinger would succeed).

Smith playing well is better than Foles' average or floor. I think that the starter who has had all the reps, would be more likely to play well. Banking on Foles ceiling instead on floor, ehh. Smith's ceiling, where Foles may or may not match, can win it all for us. If I didn't think he could and I know that Foles could play conservative or better as well, I would go the other way. But since I think it's possible, I'll go with the guy who has had all the reps and the coaches backing (in action, not just words).

Basically, that's a lot of words to say that none of us knows shit about what would happen.

Interesting. So I had to go back and check some games. Foles didn't have a great game vs JAX.

Smith vs IND: 9/19 127 yds 1 TD 0 INT  47%

So we write off Foles after one mediocre game that we won. Foles can easily fill in for Smith. It is one of the most replaceable positions on our team. We're lucky to have him.

That's definitely one way to say thay the Chiefs need to draft a QB.

Smith vs IND: 9/19 127 yds 1 TD 0 INT 47%

If this should have been interception that Foles threw in the first quarter of the Jacksonville game had been intercepted, I still don't think it would be fair to compare games the other way like this. Foles numbers in the Jacksonville game may have been Reid forcing him to not play his game. Just win the game, like Smith has been told to do (though I have been disappointed in our third-down conversions and red zone).

The games you cited by Smith were his poor games but he has certainly played better than that. Hand picking those games to compare it, doesn't seem fair (just like handpicking his good games or Foles bad games) and when we nurse leads, I don't think an average is representative compared to a game or so of someone else playing under a different context (aggressive OC or garbage time). Again, this could be unfair to Foles as well. With full reps, game plan, and support, perhaps he can play better. Perhaps he would fail. I think there would be a little bit of both. Most quarterbacks have this.

I realize that you were not the person who brought up the Jacksonville game, but I'm saying either way, I don't think that people could select certain games and say "see!" While in average is more fair, we would have to understand that we do sit on leads. Now, I wish we were better on third-down conversions and red zone conversions and therefore the stats will succeed regardless, but we are not trying to go deep like some teams or keep pushing ( yes, Smith contributes to this!). We sit on leads and I hope that we learned something as a team about that in the Tennessee game. I don't think Reid has learned, because he's been here so long, but players can show urgency.

That's definitely one way to say thay the Chiefs need to draft a QB.

I support drafting the best guy we can get and to give anyone who is under center the most tools to succeed. Then let the best man win whenever he is ready. A rookie might not be the best guy to start right away but he might be better eventually. If not, draft the best guy you can, the next time you can - just try to have some foresight. Can't get stuck with nobody.

If this should have been interception that Foles threw in the first quarter of the Jacksonville game had been intercepted, I still don't think it would be fair to compare games the other way like this. Foles numbers in the Jacksonville game may have been Reid forcing him to not play his game. Just win the game, like Smith has been told to do (though I have been disappointed in our third-down conversions and red zone).

The games you cited by Smith were his poor games but he has certainly played better than that. Hand picking those games to compare it, doesn't seem fair (just like handpicking his good games or Foles bad games) and when we nurse leads, I don't think an average is representative compared to a game or so of someone else playing under a different context (aggressive OC or garbage time). Again, this could be unfair to Foles as well. With full reps, game plan, and support, perhaps he can play better. Perhaps he would fail. I think there would be a little bit of both. Most quarterbacks have this.

I realize that you were not the person who brought up the Jacksonville game, but I'm saying either way, I don't think that people could select certain games and say "see!" While in average is more fair, we would have to understand that we do sit on leads. Now, I wish we were better on third-down conversions and red zone conversions and therefore the stats will succeed regardless, but we are not trying to go deep like some teams or keep pushing ( yes, Smith contributes to this!). We sit on leads and I hope that we learned something as a team about that in the Tennessee game. I don't think Reid has learned, because he's been here so long, but players can show urgency.

Wait. Somebody threw out one specific game and wrote Foles off just totally ignoring that Foles lit up the Colts. That was 10 yds/att and 72%. We aren't talking about Tim Tebow or Mark Sanchez, this guy had 27 TDs and only 2 INTs in the NFL. If he had a chance to work with Hill, Kelce, Maclin, Conley, Ware on a regular basis...who knows. But to write him of after he has one game that is average is silly. Smith has had a lot of games as a Chief that were worse than Foles vs. JAX. and he's had 4 years to work with this offense. Foles has had 6 quarters.

Here are Foles stats as a Chief so far. This is not a drop off. Sorry

36 55 65.5 27.5 410 7.5 205.0 3 0 15 27.3 49 7 1 4 105.9

Archived