Since we are going to win the Super Bowl!

How did you become a Chiefs fan? I'm sure most are Kansas City natives and it's a no brainer. For me? Grew up in AZ before the Cardinals arrived. We got a lot of Cowboys games on local TV so a lot of my friends grew up Cowboy fans....... couldn't do it. So I jumped in to the Chiefs Kingdom.

My uncle went to law school in St. Louis when the Rams weren't there. He's a Bears fan, but as he put it, "you wouldn't want to go through that." Not sure why he felt being a Chiefs fan was any better? Regardless, I started watching the Chiefs and rooting for us as time went on.

I went to USC and so I was happy when Casel came, but I wasn't sold on him. He never actually played for USC, only help the clipboard. I was also weary of quarterbacks who leave the Patriots system. The first year here was a surprise, but it was unsustainable.

I have two uncles who live in the bay area. I used to watch Niners games with them. I worked at my uncle's law firm for a little bit and that's when Smith went to Utah. I was upset that the Niners got Smith, because I didn't want my uncles' interests in the Niners to be in conflict with Smith's career if he floundered, but when he came here I was happy. I know he wasn't the best quarterback, but it was interesting to me.

Born and raised by another Life long Chiefs fan growing up in Kansas... 

My earliest memory involving the Chiefs include a private Arrowhead tour when I was 4.  One of my dad's best friends worked in marketing for the team and personally gave us the tour, including the locker room and Lamar hunt's private apartment.  I received a team signed ball as well.  This was in early 1983, so I got the 82 ball, which has Joe Delaney's autograph on it and is one of my most treasured chiefs items.    

My earliest memories of chiefs in general is watching games alone with my dad in the basement while he taught me how to play various card games.  The ritual was we'd play cards before, after, and during halftime and he taught me about football the rest of the time.  At the time we lived in Western Kansas while my dad worked M-F in Wichita, which meant he wasn't around much.  This was really the most important bonding I ever had with my dad growing up.

My earliest actual game memory was the 1991 playoff game against the dolphins.  I was 11 at the time.  My favorite player was Okoye and watching him barrel down the field to the 15 yard line in a one point game with less than two minutes remaining made me feel like king of the world.  Then Dave Szott got caught holding, Lowry missed the FG and we lost.  To this day I still HATE Dave Szott for that reason...my dad thinks its hilarious and brings it up pretty much anytime a holding call pushes the chiefs out of field goal range...LOL

My earliest memory involving the Chiefs include a private Arrowhead tour when I was 4.  One of my dad's best friends worked in marketing for the team and personally gave us the tour, including the locker room and Lamar hunt's private apartment.  I received a team signed ball as well.  This was in early 1983, so I got the 82 ball, which has Joe Delaney's autograph on it and is one of my most treasured chiefs items.    

My earliest memories of chiefs in general is watching games alone with my dad in the basement while he taught me how to play various card games.  The ritual was we'd play cards before, after, and during halftime and he taught me about football the rest of the time.  At the time we lived in Western Kansas while my dad worked M-F in Wichita, which meant he wasn't around much.  This was really the most important bonding I ever had with my dad growing up.

My earliest actual game memory was the 1991 playoff game against the dolphins.  I was 11 at the time.  My favorite player was Okoye and watching him barrel down the field to the 15 yard line in a one point game with less than two minutes remaining made me feel like king of the world.  Then Dave Szott got caught holding, Lowry missed the FG and we lost.  To this day I still HATE Dave Szott for that reason...my dad thinks its hilarious and brings it up pretty much anytime a holding call pushes the chiefs out of field goal range...LOL

That's awesome!

so of all the players  you could hate you picked Dave Szott. One of the members of the O-Line other  than the 69 Chiefs that I can remember every name of..not for Nick "the kick" who missed the FG ..or  He Who Shall Not Be Named but Dave Szott  who got called on something that happens on every snap of every game since the beginning of NFL's time. Jan Stenerude lost the Longest Game but I find it hard to hate on him but you picked Dave Szott...utter disbelief. But congratulations you got me back on here to respond, something no one else on this board has been able to do for weeks.

West, If you want OT to come back, you should change your signoff from "w" to "God, I hate Dave Szott more than {insert He Who Should Never Be Named]" We have found his weakness. Just kidding. I suppose finding weaknesses amongst us isn't that difficult. Leave me alone! I already know my weaknesses!!

Born and raised near KC.

Ditto. Never actually watched a playoff win until Houston last year. I started watching football after the Montana era in fact. I was a bit too young too remember anyhow. Ironically, SB 51 in Houston - I'd love for us to win one. I think we can do it. :D

Born and raised in Leavenworth, Kansas. Dad was a Chiefs fan since they came to Kansas City...and everyone else had better follow suit or face the penalty...lol.

So I come by it honestly. 

Many of my fondest memories of football were watching some of the old AFC battles and listening to Curt Gowdy call the game. Loved him and enjoyed watching the old St. Louis Cardinals football team with Jim Hart...broadcast was almost always Lindsey Nelson. Loved him too.

I re-read some of the fictitious stories I wrote, which seemed funnier to me when I originally wrote them. I must have told my story a hundred times, but for those who never heard it, it is brand new. So, I will do it again, and this time be serious.

In 1965, Rick Mount was my hero, and basketball was my favorite game. I knew very little about football, except that I could throw one pretty good. My best friend in school told me he was moving one day while we were in gym class. He said they were moving to Kansas. I asked him if there were Indians. He said it was a modern city that was part of Kansas City, and they had a baseball team. He never mentioned football, but that wasn't a major sport for us back then. In a few weeks it was Christmas break, and I never saw him again. I remembered the stories about that city in Kansas. Besides the Wizard of Oz, I hadn't a clue about Kansas or Kansas City, Missouri, but I knew I wanted to go.

A few years passed, and my family decided to travel out west. On the way back, we traveled through Kansas It was the summer of 1968. A lot was changing. Despite my pleas, Kansas City wasn't on the agenda. We went through Joplin, and then to Columbia, where I got to play basketball at a gym at MU, while my older sister visited the campus. We stayed in East Saint Louis, Illinois, because my dad was afraid of staying in Saint Louis. I guess they didn't have the Internet back then, and he was not aware. It was not a great hotel or hotel stay.

I did not remember the first Super Bowl. Most of my friends were Green Bay Packer fans. The third SB was on TV, at my grandparent's home, and we watched it there. The next game was a bigger event due to Joe Namath. A family invited our family to their home. The guys all sat around their new TV, and the women stayed in the kitchen to gab. Everyone was a Vikings fan. I remembered my friend, and the trip I never got to take to Kansas City. I was the lone fan of the Chiefs. Not long into the game, my dad figured out Lenny Dawson played for Purdue, and Dad was a huge Purdue fan. So, midway through, there were two of us rooting for the Chiefs.

In the end of Super Bowl IV, there were two happy people, and there was one new fan. This is how I became a fan of the Chiefs.

I think we have posted this a few times.   I'll try to do the condensced version this time.   My long range plans to be a professional football player fell through when I was cut from the Kansas jayhawks.   I decided that I wanted to major in journalism...particularly sports journalism.   My professor was Tom Headrick.   Professor Headrick was coincidentally the voice of the Chiefs on KCMO radio 810 in those days.   I was afforded an opportunity to get first hand experience in the booth on Sunday afternoons.  I was really Bill Grigsby's go for  but it was the beginning of a lifelong passion.   I got to help set up the remote broadcasts from the CHiefs lockeroom after the games that Grigsby hosted.   I found myself planning my Sundays around the Chiefs games.    I got to know some of the players.  I also had the distinction of being kicked out of a Chiefs lockeroom by Jack "Bigfoot" Steadman for not having a press pass.   Its been a 49 year love affair.   I had my girlfriend mail me taped football games of the Chiefs when I was overseas.  That's how big a fan I have become. They have a solid grip on me.  Even in the horrible years of the 1970s when Paul Wiggin was coach,  I still watched every Sunday. 

Archived