2017 CAP Implications

The Chiefs were had a deficit of over $3 M for their cap in 2017. They transferred about $4 M from this year. Perhaps there were other changes to contracts, because the deficit is not a surplus of $4,896,080.

Here is a website detailing current cap numbers for the Chiefs. It can be altered to show how possible changes affect their cap numbers. http://overthecap.com/calculator/kansas-city-chiefs/

In addition, here is another page that indicates cap savings by personnel, according to cut,, trade, restructure, or extension. http://overthecap.com/transactions-table/

The Chiefs can gain considerable cap relief next year. Justin Houston has the fifth largest cap number in the NFL. Alex Smith's cap number is the 25th largest in the league. The next largest is the cap number of Jeremy Maclin. Then the next largest cap for the Chiefs belongs to Nick Foles, and 100% of that number can be salvaged by cutting him.

That may happen, win or lose in the playoffs.  The Chiefs could draft Smith's replacement and Foles would become an expensive extra.  It would be tough to be in the same position as OAK is right now, but only so much can be set aside for insurance.  Either a cheaper Foles, or next year will be Smith, Bray, and new guy.

The Chiefs likely will want to take care of Berry, and maybe Poe too. Foles will be released or traded. Alex will get an extension. Houston may have his contract restructured.

Watson will go too early. King has him Watson going to the Bills http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/04/2017-nfl-draft-first-round-myles-garrett-cleveland-browns-mitch-trubisky-san-francisco-49ers

Can they not get a deal done with Poe and Berry? Reid said himself they do not let good players leave. I'm fully confident Dorse can get it done. We need these two to sustain our elite defense, which is all we'll need with the weapons we got on offense to make the playoffs every single freaking year

It's an option year on Foles. Either they pick it up or decline it, so not sure where this release talk is coming from.

They will certsinly decline it and he will get paid and have a chance to start elsewhere. Charles is also certainly gone, too.

There's 17.75 mil, which they could fit Berry and Poe into. Just would need to find some more space for draft class and RFAs (Don't have many this year).

It's an option year on Foles. Either they pick it up or decline it, so not sure where this release talk is coming from.

They will certsinly decline it and he will get paid and have a chance to start elsewhere. Charles is also certainly gone, too.

There's 17.75 mil, which they could fit Berry and Poe into. Just would need to find some more space for draft class and RFAs (Don't have many this year).

If DJ couldn't make it back, what would that free up?

If DJ couldn't make it back, what would that free up?

Not much. Hali would be an extra 300k cap hit if the Chiefs elected to not try to recover any bonus money.

They can free some money by getting Houston and Maclin to take a paycut, extend MVP and push some money into later years and tack another year onto Alex with a small cap hit on the last year, with a rebalamcing of remainjng money to smooth out things.

This is the last year the Chiefs should be crunched vs the cap like this.

Not much. Hali would be an extra 300k cap hit if the Chiefs elected to not try to recover any bonus money.

They can free some money by getting Houston and Maclin to take a paycut, extend MVP and push some money into later years and tack another year onto Alex with a small cap hit on the last year, with a rebalamcing of remainjng money to smooth out things.

This is the last year the Chiefs should be crunched vs the cap like this.

I love Dj, can't see him really coming back solid after this one.

I think Foles will really help a team with a good line. Pro Bowl type of QB in the right situation. If our O line settles in for next year, there may be some advantages to moving on to Foles.

To another point, yes it is possible to sign both Berry and Poe. You can't sign both to franchise money. One is a safety and the other is playing very average football at a premium position. I think you try to keep one and the playoffs will tell us which one IMO. The regular season suggests Berry even though I don't want to drop that kind of bank on a safety. I hope Poe bounces back.

The Chiefs need to keep Berry.  I'm not sure what he'd get on the open market, but there always seems to be some team willing to overpay so he may be unsignable.  Poe is more replaceable and with Jones playing so well, the Chiefs can keep Poe's contract reasonable or let him walk.  If Howard and Bailey can both come back 100%, the team will still be okay on the D-line.  Foles will want a starting job somewhere and I don't think it will be in KC next year.  Smith and Foles is just too much tied up in the QB position.  Better to draft a QBOTF and let Foles walk.

The Chiefs need to keep Berry.  I'm not sure what he'd get on the open market, but there always seems to be some team willing to overpay so he may be unsignable.  Poe is more replaceable and with Jones playing so well, the Chiefs can keep Poe's contract reasonable or let him walk.  If Howard and Bailey can both come back 100%, the team will still be okay on the D-line.  Foles will want a starting job somewhere and I don't think it will be in KC next year.  Smith and Foles is just too much tied up in the QB position.  Better to draft a QBOTF and let Foles walk.

I agree with all of that with one note and you know what it is: If we get to the Super Bowl, bringing back Smith next year and drafting a QBOTF would be fine. If not, Smith will have had a 4 year opportunity. Give Foles a chance next year but still draft the QBOTF

At this time there are a lot of teams that could throw stupid money at someone like berry, a lot will change between now and the draft & FA but

the numbers don't look really to be in our favor right now

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

also feel that poe is not going to get as much attention due to his back issues so he will not command as much $$ as we think

At this time there are a lot of teams that could throw stupid money at someone like berry, a lot will change between now and the draft & FA but

the numbers don't look really to be in our favor right now

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

also feel that poe is not going to get as much attention due to his back issues so he will not command as much $$ as we think

Out here, the 49ers are all over Poe...

Archived