Sweeping the Division

Anybody done any research on teams that have swept their division to go on and win the Super Bowl? I believe Pittsburgh did it against AZ.

This is correct. Pittsburgh is the only team to sweep their division and win the Super Bowl in the same year since the realignment to four-division conferences in 2002. Out of 19 divisional sweeps since 2002, six of those teams to do so went on to play in the Super Bowl that season. In the year in which the Steelers beat the Cardinals, both teams swept their respective divisions, so someone had to win.

So you're saying there's a chance?

I'm pretty sure that no previous Super Bowl champion earned their Lombardi Trophy by defeating a division rival in the ultimate game of the season. Sweeping a division contributes to a record likely to earn a playoff berth, but if the Patriots can finish a season 18-1, it's hard to imagine that the regular season holds much relevance at this point. The Chiefs need to win their matchups come Sunday: They need to be steady in their pass protection, not give up the big plays over the top of the defense, protect the football, and matriculate the ball down the field. Not necessarily in that order.

I was surprised someone said the last team to sweep was the Raiders and they didn't even win the division.

Not only did they not win the division...they didn't even finish with a winning record. Finished 8-8. Only team in history ever to do that. Leave it to the Raiders to add another negative record to their resume :)

Archived