Could Dorsey Leave the Chiefs for the Pack?

When the Packers face the Giants in Sunday's wild-card game, the focus will be on the field. But the future of the man who built the Packers is one that is being fiercely debated in Green Bay. How long 63-year-old general manager Ted Thompson, with two years left on his contract, continues in his current job is an open question. 

Now, an intriguing name has emerged as a potential successor: Chiefs GM John Dorsey.

Dorsey, a former Packers player who cut his teeth in Green Bay under Hall of Fame architect Ron Wolf, has not yet signed a contract extension, sources said. He's in the final year of his deal, potentially opening the door to him leaving what he helped build in Kansas City to work at Lambeau Field.

Sources said Dorsey is incredibly well-regarded by the Packers executive committee, including President and CEO Mark Murphy, from his time as a scout, Director of College Scouting and Director of Football Operations. Timing would have to be perfect, but if Thompson steps away to take a senior scouting role as some involved believe, Dorsey would be in a position to step in this year.

Dorsey and coach Andy Reid have worked hand-in-hand over the past four years to build the Chiefs into a consistent winner, and they are seeded second in the AFC playoffs. The Chiefs intend to give a contract extension to Reid this offseason, a source said. After this year, Reid will be in the final year of his deal.

The list of successors to Thompson is an intriguing one. It includes Director of Football Operations Eliot Wolf, who interviewed this week for the 49ers' open GM job. While he was blocked from interviewing for the Lions' GM job last year, his interview this year means he could be leaving. There is also Russ Ball, the vice president of football administration, who is universally respected in the NFL and by the executive committee. Director of Player Personnel Brian Gutekunst and Senior Personnel Executive Alonzo Highsmith are among the talented members of the Packers' front office.

With Dorsey entering the picture, it adds some intrigue to the future of the Packers' front office.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000771313/article/chiefs-gm-john-dorsey-emerges-as-a-potential-packers-chief?campaign=Twitter_atn

I very seriously doubt he is going anywhere. This is his dream job. Here is an article from when he first took the job. While he may really enjoy GB he is exactly where he wants to be.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8844211/john-dorsey-introduced-kansas-city-chiefs-new-general-manager

Clark said before the season he wants both Reid and Dorsey to stick around.

lets not forget that Dorsey's wife is from KC. also just to throw  gas on the fire if things start going south  the Packs HC 's "fantasy" job is with Notre Dame who will be looking for a new HC  next year if the trend continues.. I dont see Dorsey going anywhere and Clark has deep pockets and realizes you got to pay to play much unlike his dad.

The only way Dorsey leaves is if he really wasn't making the decisions and wants to be the man. It hunk he is making the personnel decisions and stays. I think thus is his first gig at being a GM and it is going well. I can't see him wanting to roll the dice in GB.

It makes sense combined with the news yesterday that the Chiefs actually BLOCKED Ballards interview with the 49ers.

I'm fine with this, except how is Dorsey supposed to draft us the next Aaron Rogers late in the 1st round if he's doing it for Green Bay?

He's had 4 years to get a QB in the draft.

He's had 4 years to get a QB in the draft.

Carr is the only guy they should have drafted in first round (I know, he went in the second round so we could have targeted him there). Lynch would be an option if he fell. Bridgewater would be ok and better with Reid than in Minnesota and maybe better sitting a year, but I'm hoping the next guy > Bridgewater. QBs in this draft are too high (Trubinsky) or could be had at our pick or lower.

Dorsey will get his man, but one dropping like Rodgers is rare. Heck, Rodgers is rare. Build the team, make QB a priority, draft.

Carr is the only guy they should have drafted in first round (I know, he went in the second round so we could have targeted him there). Lynch would be an option if he fell. Bridgewater would be ok and better with Reid than in Minnesota and maybe better sitting a year, but I'm hoping the next guy > Bridgewater. QBs in this draft are too high (Trubinsky) or could be had at our pick or lower.

Dorsey will get his man, but one dropping like Rodgers is rare. Heck, Rodgers is rare. Build the team, make QB a priority, draft.

Usually elite QBs win Super Bowls but we're going to change that this year!!

I thought this was just smoke, but maybe not. Since Dorsey hasn't been extended and Ballard did not interview, it looks like Dorsey could be leaving. If so...

You don't leave a roster you built that went from worst to first. You are the guy that took a 2-14 team to regular double digit wins regardless of injury or play calling issues.

You would be walking into a franchise that you could take from first to worst. If something happens to Rogers, that place is a dumpster fire.

I he leaves, it means Andy built this roster. If that is the case, it is no loss. Just like Peterson. He didn't call the plays in the second half. That was Andy and Andy helping the guy get a good job. I watched every game and I don't remember any game where Andy wasn't covering his face and barking into that mic.

I thought this was just smoke, but maybe not. Since Dorsey hasn't been extended and Ballard did not interview, it looks like Dorsey could be leaving. If so...

You don't leave a roster you built that went from worst to first. You are the guy that took a 2-14 team to regular double digit wins regardless of injury or play calling issues.

You would be walking into a franchise that you could take from first to worst. If something happens to Rogers, that place is a dumpster fire.

I he leaves, it means Andy built this roster. If that is the case, it is no loss. Just like Peterson. He didn't call the plays in the second half. That was Andy and Andy helping the guy get a good job. I watched every game and I don't remember any game where Andy wasn't covering his face and barking into that mic.

Some Offensive Coordinators call the play into the head coach and the head coach mic's it over to the quarterback. This can cause delay of game situations or times where they have to call timeout or audible a play. So there's a chance that Pedersen called second half but Reid was the one with the microphone.

I just think that Childress is a much more accomplished play caller than Pederson and would be the guy if Andy wanted to take a break. However, I don't think Andy would want to take a break. On top of this, there was the hot water Pederson was in that made an exit out of town because of a new job better than explaining why Pederson was let go. It was just the perfect storm.

It makes sense combined with the news yesterday that the Chiefs actually BLOCKED Ballards interview with the 49ers.

I'm fine with this, except how is Dorsey supposed to draft us the next Aaron Rogers late in the 1st round if he's doing it for Green Bay?

Story I read was Ballard declined the interview, can't blame him one bit. The 9ers job is a dumpster fire

Archived