Andy Reid says Justin Houston will be good for Steelers game, let’s hope he’s right

The weirdness with Justin Houston’s knee injury last year and the ensuring ACL surgery that knocked out half of his 2016 season has led some of his to be a little skittish when it comes to updates on his knee. That’s OK if you are. It just means you remember last year.

Houston is expected to play this weekend against the Steelers but we’re still going to parse every word from Andy Reid to make sure he’s actually going to play well ... and not just eight ineffective snaps like he did last year in New England.

Here’s how Reid opened his presser:

“Don’t have any injuries to announce to you,” Reid said. “Everybody that was banged up is good to go now. Justin (Houston) and (Spencer) Ware they’ll be ready to go.”

Someone asked what the plan for Houston is this week.

“Practice,” Reid answered. “We’ll see how he does.”

That “we’ll see how he does” leaves the door open a little and makes me a little nervous if we’re being honest. It’s not just whether Houston dresses for the game, it’s how effective can he be. The Chiefs proved last year they could send a hobbled Justin Houston out there. This year they need a healthy Justin Houston out there.

The weirdness with Justin Houston’s knee injury last year and the ensuring ACL surgery that knocked out half of his 2016 season has led some of his to be a little skittish when it comes to updates on his knee. That’s OK if you are. It just means you remember last year.

Houston is expected to play this weekend against the Steelers but we’re still going to parse every word from Andy Reid to make sure he’s actually going to play well ... and not just eight ineffective snaps like he did last year in New England.

Here’s how Reid opened his presser:

“Don’t have any injuries to announce to you,” Reid said. “Everybody that was banged up is good to go now. Justin (Houston) and (Spencer) Ware they’ll be ready to go.”

Someone asked what the plan for Houston is this week.

“Practice,” Reid answered. “We’ll see how he does.”

That “we’ll see how he does” leaves the door open a little and makes me a little nervous if we’re being honest. It’s not just whether Houston dresses for the game, it’s how effective can he be. The Chiefs proved last year they could send a hobbled Justin Houston out there. This year they need a healthy Justin Houston out there.

Well stated. Not going to be convinced he's fully ready to go until Rapelisberger is laying on his ass looking at the sky after a Houston strip sack.

Does game conditioning really play a factor? He only played 1 game before that Denver breakout and looked fresh. I think the man has been keeping himself in good shape

I'm in no way concerned about conditioning. I hope this has just been a strategy to simply save him for the playoffs knowing we were going to make the playoffs no matter what.

Speaking of Houston, what the hell happened to Dee Ford? He's had like 10 tackles and 1 sack since Nov. 13.

cant sack a qb when your getting run at..he has been there to pressure tho. i think he snuck up on people but he's still a  1 trick pony. That trick only is tricky for a short period of time.

Ford has been on the left side in event games, but just hasn't looked very fast. I hope he steps up and gets pressure, because he doesn't offer a lot against the run. Hopefully he spells Houston and Hali with them as the starters through the Super Bowl.

How much is teams adjusting to ford and chipping, doubling him, etc...?

Without Houston they can afford to.

The other teams can afford to, but that was when he was most effective. He was coming from the other side and got all those sacks. When Houston came back, he didn't. He was coming from the other side and not as effective. They couldn't really afford to double-team him if Houston was back here.

Correct me if I am wrong, I'm not much of a defense guy, I just read your guys' comments and it sounded like he started off really well and it does sound like he switched sides and wasn't as effective down the stretch. I know that Houston did come back for a while.

Are you talking about when Houston left again? And when he did, did Ford go back to the side he started the season?

How much is teams adjusting to ford and chipping, doubling him, etc...?

Without Houston they can afford to.

Again, a lot of folks looking for sack numberes. Against Denver, ford was constantly in the back field. He's also very good in coverage.

Again, a lot of folks looking for sack numberes. Against Denver, ford was constantly in the back field. He's also very good in coverage.

I agree but sacks are so important. Loss of yardage, possible fumbles, take a team out of FG position and just a momentum changer. Pressure and almost getting there can be effective against lesser QBs but the 2 guys coming up will tear you up if you don't get there. 

Archived