Key to winning IMO

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spencer Ware is not the issue. It's Fulton, who is not a capable starting Guard that is the problem. 

I agree that it's not Ware. Don't know that I can say the problem is solely Fulton although he is an issue. I just don't think the front 5 is a great run based offensive line. They do not blow anyone off the line. Often they are giving up space at the snap. Our most effective run plays have been to the outside. I would be shocked if we had any effectiveness between the tackles.

Ware is not as good as advertised. The same thing can be said about the Chiefs' offensive line. Ware is the sort of runningback that benefits most from a quality run-blocking offensive line.

Pass blocking has been superb. Hopefully, that can continue tomorrow and I think it will.

Hey, at least we don't have Seattle's O-Line. Wilson, was running for his life ALL game long. Reminded me of the Chiefs a few years back where Smith constantly was under duress. Give credit to our O-Line they'll show up Big tomorrow.

Chiefs have to figure out a way to score over 30 points.

No, they don't. They just have to not give up turnovers, and when Ben Roethlisberger inevitably throws a ball directly to a Chiefs player, that player has to make the pick.

Four of the five teams to beat the Steelers this year held the Steelers to 16 or fewer points. It's time for the Chiefs' defense to play up to its reputation.

Pass blocking has been superb. Hopefully, that can continue tomorrow and I think it will.

It's been OK. It looked more to me like Smith was getting the ball out quickly, and that's in part due to improvements in the receiver corps. The team has improved as a whole. As for improvements by unit, the offensive line seems least improved.

The Chiefs aren't going to have a good answer for Bell and Antonio Brown.  I think its going to end up being a shoot out.

The best way to have an answer for both is to have an answer for Ben Roethlisberger. He can't run the entire offense through only two players.

I'll tell you this: If the Chiefs' defense shows as poorly as you argue, the Chiefs' shouldn't retain either Dontari Poe or Eric Berry next year. Clearly the Super Bowl window wouldn't really be open for the Chiefs (who don't have the offensive line to support a shootout offense), and it would be time to can Bob Sutton and bring on the next generation of defenders to support players like Chris Jones and Marcus Peters.

The best way to have an answer for both is to have an answer for Ben Roethlisberger. He can't run the entire offense through only two players.

I'll tell you this: If the Chiefs' defense shows as poorly as you argue, the Chiefs' shouldn't retain either Dontari Poe or Eric Berry next year. Clearly the Super Bowl window wouldn't really be open for the Chiefs (who don't have the offensive line to support a shootout offense), and it would be time to can Bob Sutton and bring on the next generation of defenders to support players like Chris Jones and Marcus Peters.

I think we're jumping to conclusions here. Let's see what this game presents first.

The Steelers are a top 3 Offense and what that means is they're a top 3 Offense that typically score a lot of points. 

Sometimes, especially in the playoffs, your opponent is just a good squad.

Win The Trenches.

In the Steelers 5 losses, they were out-rushed in every game. Not only were they out-rushed, but they were completely shut down in 3 of those contests (29, 36, and 48 yards) on the ground. The average rushing for the winner was 133 yards while the Steelers averaged 67. It may sound like a good idea to "let Bell have his," but when Bell doesn't get his, the Steelers are a losing football team. 

Make Big Plays.

With the exception of the New England game, the winning team had a play of at least 60 yards in every game (and Gronk had one for 37 by the way). You have to capitalize on the big shots you get against the Steelers.

Cut Off Their Head

You have to get some pressure on Roethlisberger. In the Steelers losses, they gave up 9 of their 21 sacks on the season. They also gave up quite a bit of pressure. If you bring pressure against the run, you also tend to bring it against the pass. It might be a good idea for Sutton to release the hounds this week.

What Probably Doesn't Matter

The guy that got his in the Steelers losses was Antonio Brown. Brown is not their X factor. Brown gets his week-in and week-out. Don't focus the defensive game plan on trying to shut down Brown.

Producing turnovers against the Steelers likely won't be an enormous factor. The Steelers lost the overall turnover battle 6-4 in their 5 losses, but tied TO margin in 2 of those outings and won the TO margin in another.

Ware is not as good as advertised. The same thing can be said about the Chiefs' offensive line. Ware is the sort of runningback that benefits most from a quality run-blocking offensive line.

Wow, we agree on something. Ware is great if has a little space to get going. He's a load and hard to tackle when he has some momentum.

It's been OK. It looked more to me like Smith was getting the ball out quickly, and that's in part due to improvements in the receiver corps. The team has improved as a whole. As for improvements by unit, the offensive line seems least improved.

He gets it out faster than anyone in the league but also has the shortest yards per attempt in the league. It's been working..

Mitchell, is the difference this game. Last time we DJ White was getting roasted.

Even peters misplayed a few balls. One thing is for sure, those little dumps to brown are going to get swallowed up. If they beat us, it will be big plays in the run game.

Even peters misplayed a few balls. One thing is for sure, those little dumps to brown are going to get swallowed up. If they beat us, it will be big plays in the run game.

That was the only game we'd given up big plays. Bailey and Howard were getting no push inside. We now have Chris Jones applying pressure up the middle. He will have a monster day. Ben, will not have time to step up this time. We don't have Kendrick Lewis anymore - Parker Berry are rangy and can be a ball hawks if Ben floats up a few ducks.

Archived