Chiefs - Steelers: Divisional Round Game Thread

Here are my thoughts on the game.

1. Bob Sutton outsmarted himself. He put Houston in coverage against Antonio Brown (terrible match up) and Brown burned them. Critical 3rd down to have one last chance and Sutton put Houston on Brown again. Brown beats his coverage and gets a first down. Excellent.

2. Dontari Poe should be wearing a different uniform in 2017. He's not the same player anymore.

Dontari in the past would still disrupt the pocket if he faced multiple blockers. Now, he goes into the blockers and mostly submits. Nose tackles are cheap and easy to find. Do not give him a big money contract.

3. The Chiefs need to stick with paying Berry high end S money. If he doesn't agree, franchise again.

4. I think the Chiefs have an alright line. Ehringer will shore up LG and they could stand to get better at RG. I think a lot of the issues comes down to coaching. The Chiefs took a mediocre line coach from Jacksonville years ago because idk lol. The Steelers brought in the best Offensive Line coach in the NFL. One line played great and one line played mediocre. Hm!

5. Alex Smith didn't play terrible, but it wasn't good enough. It takes excellent QB play to get beyond this level beyond maybe if all the stars align just right, and you're just not going to get that out of Alex.

6. Alex has completely regressed as a dual-threat QB. He looks awkward and very haphazard when he scrambles with the ball anymore, when he used to loom smooth and graceful a year ago. I think he knows it and tried to compensate with better passing, with mixed results.

Next is going to be his ability to move around and find time, which is probably coming soon.

7. When you need 2 scores to take the lead, you really should operate with more urgency. Driving for 7 minutes late into the 4th and burning a time out because fuck it why not, was absurd.

8. Not going for an onside kick when you have no time left, a single T.O and your Defense forced one single punt was insanely stupid. Andy Reid shit.

9. Chiefs might need to look elsewhere for OC. Nagy and Childress have struggled to come up with concepts, during the game, if Kelce and Hill are bottled up.

10. Sutton waits far too long to adjust, if he does.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw that as well.  Toub wanted to go on-sides and Reid said no.

The KO was a homerun as it pinned them deep.  If we made a play on the 3rd and 4....we would have gotten ball back and Pitt would have had to give Hill a chance at a return....

I do not know why Sutton had Justin Houston in coverage?

also, I was not a fan of the holding call on Fish....Total Bullshit call.

w

I saw that as well.  Toub wanted to go on-sides and Reid said no.

The KO was a homerun as it pinned them deep.  If we made a play on the 3rd and 4....we would have gotten ball back and Pitt would have had to give Hill a chance at a return....

I do not know why Sutton had Justin Houston in coverage?

also, I was not a fan of the holding call on Fish....Total Bullshit call.

w

Grunny disagrees with you

Here are my thoughts on the game.

1. Bob Sutton outsmarted himself. He put Houston in coverage against Antonio Brown (terrible match up) and Brown burned them. Critical 3rd down to have one last chance and Sutton put Houston on Brown again. Brown beats his coverage and gets a first down. Excellent.

2. Dontari Poe should be wearing a different uniform in 2017. He's not the same player anymore.

Dontari in the past would still disrupt the pocket if he faced multiple blockers. Now, he goes into the blockers and mostly submits. Nose tackles are cheap and easy to find. Do not give him a big money contract.

3. The Chiefs need to stick with paying Berry high end S money. If he doesn't agree, franchise again.

4. I think the Chiefs have an alright line. Ehringer will shore up LG and they could stand to get better at RG. I think a lot of the issues comes down to coaching. The Chiefs took a mediocre line coach from Jacksonville years ago because idk lol. The Steelers brought in the best Offensive Line coach in the NFL. One line played great and one line played mediocre. Hm!

5. Alex Smith didn't play terrible, but it wasn't good enough. It takes excellent QB play to get beyond this level beyond maybe if all the stars align just right, and you're just not going to get that out of Alex.

6. Alex has completely regressed as a dual-threat QB. He looks awkward and very haphazard when he scrambles with the ball anymore, when he used to loom smooth and graceful a year ago. I think he knows it and tried to compensate with better passing, with mixed results.

Next is going to be his ability to move around and find time, which is probably coming soon.

7. When you need 2 scores to take the lead, you really should operate with more urgency. Driving for 7 minutes late into the 4th and burning a time out because fuck it why not, was absurd.

8. Not going for an onside kick when you have no time left, a single T.O and your Defense forced one single punt was insanely stupid. Andy Reid shit.

9. Chiefs might need to look elsewhere for OC. Nagy and Childress have struggled to come up with concepts, during the game, if Kelce and Hill are bottled up.

10. Sutton waits far too long to adjust, if he does.

Childress will likely be gone shortly.  He is a candidate for a couple of OC spots

I really don't think the plan was for Houston to cover Brown 20 yards down field. I think that the safety was supposed to take him, but jumped that crossing route. Houston just saw the blown assignment and hustled to try and save the touchdown. He did a hell of a job and nearly broke it up.

Grunny would know much better than I.....but Kelce is apparently on my side :lol: :lol:

w

according to Grunny  O-linemen are taught in that situation where a smaller person  ( i think Harrison is like 6'0") that make a move like that is to keep the hands out and lay on them

It is soooo demoralizing to see the team come back and tie the game...only to see it ripped away by a holding call.

There is holding on every play in the NFL and the refs had not been calling it all night long.  Why on this play?

w

It is soooo demoralizing to see the team come back and tie the game...only to see it ripped away by a holding call.

There is holding on every play in the NFL and the refs had not been calling it all night long.  Why on this play?

w

Outcome based officiating. You have to be that much better to break through the ceiling. 

w

That's what got me. I was so happy when the Chiefs scored, and figured it was just another game were the Chiefs made a comeback. I had hope that the Chiefs would win, only to have that hope go away once I  saw there was a flag.

Just read a tweet from Elias Sports Bureau. Chiefs are the first team to lose a playoff game when scoring at least 2 more TDs than their opponent. Prior teams were 245-0.

Wow. Does KC own every shitty record?

probably, its just who they are. How many times during the season or regular season do the Chiefs find a way to break record books for all the wrong reasons.  Hell, i remember when the president of the USofA made fun of our fucking defense back in what was it 2004?

They  just keep finding new ways to embarrass their fanbase.  12-4 doesnt mean a fucking thing when you never make it out of the divisional rounds.

The NFL wanted the Steelers to play the Patriots and that's what they got. Chiefs would have had to definitively won this game and not have to rely on a two point conversion to move on. We all know that if the Chiefs had advanced it would have been a replay of last years game at Foxboro. Chiefs are a good team but lacking that one crucial element all other playoff teams that have advanced have. A QB that can take the team on his shoulders and will them to victory. That's what is missing and has been missing through all of these miserable years of playoff exits. Draft and develop a QB. That's it. Not somebody else's QB with all their baggage and bad experiences that created them.

Archived