Thanks for the memories

Dee Ford was really poor against the run, and a non factor rushing the QB. Houston did not look his normal self. I don't think he has the quickness he had before his injury. Tamba Hali looked old. He was just a step slow. Ramik Wilson and Frank Zombo had good games. 

The loss of Derrick Johnson was really difficult to overcome. Mitchell played a good game, and is a keeper. Peterson is elite. Nelson is a good third corner. Parker and Berry are very good safeties. Still, I do not understand how Jesse James was open so much, with uncontested catches. Poe had a good game, but I don't know how the Chiefs can afford to keep him. Chris Jones is going to be a tremendous player, especially when he learns the game better. RNR, and Dadi Nicolas were great value picks. D J White was pressed into duty before he was ready. I think he has a future, but it will take some more time. 

The loss was hard to take. Kelce got mugged on an obvious PI missed call. He has to get ahold of his emotions. That 15 yard penalty was horrible. The holding call on Eric Fisher was border line stupid. One, it is not one that is usually called, but also... Fisher did not have to make it as Smith was not in jeopardy of being sacked. Alex Smith missed a few open receivers. Still, it was a 2 point game that was lost on a holding call when the conversion was completed successfully otherwise. 

It's never as bad as it seems, and seldom as good either. 

when you lose in the play offs YET again, its as bad as it seems. Its to the point where you expect them to lose, because thats who they are.   When you dont have that elite qb, more often then not in the play offs, you end up losing the first game in the play offs.    There are always exceptions to the rule, but even during them exceptions, them teams are usually  done after that because they cant keep their "defense" together due to salary caps.

Like I said in another thread...Not good enough.in too many areas to get to the Super Bowl. 

QB...not good enough. Oline...not good enough. Running game...not good enough. Run defense....not good enough.

We need an ILB who is a run enforcer in the worst way. Another pass rusher. A couple of Olinemen...but most of all, we need a franchise level QB and stop with the leftovers. I like Alex Smith but we saw his ceiling last night...and it ain't very high.

The Chiefs did not match up well against the Steelers, especially after the loss of Derrick Johnson. That is the way it works. Teams have to build according to CAP restraints, and they all have weaknesses. Dallas may have been the most solid team out there (with the possible exception of New England), but they were a bad fit against the Giants, and lost to Green Bay at home yesterday. 

The Chiefs lost Johnson, Bailey, Charles, Nicolas, Ehinger, Howard, and Mauga for the season. I am sure the Chiefs could have used each of them. Houston played, but he did not seem to be as sharp as he was when he returned to play Denver. 

This is a team that gave it their all, and went a long way. It was a fun ride. The results were greater than the sum of the parts. Alex Smith is a flawed quarterback. However, it was not on Alex as much as it was on Ware for missing that first down opportunity, by not coming up with the pass. There was plenty of blame to go around. Kelce missed a catch, and the refs blew a couple of important call. One was an obvious pass interference call that cost the Chiefs a huge play to Kelce. There were missed holding penalties, and other mistakes that any which one may have turned the game. 

The Chiefs or any team has to get extremely good or extremely lucky. The Chiefs were the benefactor of luck much of this season. They won many games they would have lost in other years. I was at the Atlanta game. The Chiefs dominated the entire game, except for the final quarter. The falcons could have sealed the game, but went for two, and were picked off by Eric Berry. The Chiefs were not efficiently moving the ball at the end of the game. It could have easily gone the other way. 

It would have been sweet for the Chiefs to make it to the Super Bowl in Houston. However, it was not to be. In truth, New England looks to be a formidable opponent for the the Steelers, and may have been for the Chiefs. 

Alex Smith did begin to play better towards the end of the season. There is always hope next year. No time to despair. Enjoy the rest of the season, if you can. Return next year. The Chiefs will have ten to fifteen new faces, and will be busy trying to solve the puzzle once again. 

Wish he could just throw it. Raplisberger, Brady, Rodgers or Ryan will win a SB. Dink & dunk is dead in this league. Time to adapt.

Look at it this way. The one deep pass anyone completed all day was Ben to Brown. That FG was the difference in the game. Large chunk play. 3rd and 13....

Hats off to the defense. Holding that team to 18 points is a minemental task. That brought it and fought their asses off. It's to bad the offense could not make a decent effort.

When your 2 glaring weaknesses are Oline and QB, it's a tough combination to over come.

There is only one reason why this team lost.  I hate to say this, because I have always been a big Alex Smith supporter, and he is a good QB.  But we lost the game simply because AS  missed seeing wide open receivers all night, usually Tyreek Hill.  But others as well.  He has done this all year and in previous years.  He has tunnel vision, and his mind, vision, and decisions are focused only on the designed play.  He simply cannot see what is actually developing on the field.  A great QB is needed to get to the dance.  AS is the best we have right now, but he will never get us to the dance. Period. It's taken me a lot to get to this realization, but I have seen it enough this year to make me want to throw up.  These open receivers were there, even when he had an extra second to see them.

This is the truth.  By the time we get and develop a truly great QB, the window will be long closed.

There is only one reason why this team lost. I hate to say this, because I have always been a big Alex Smith supporter, and he is a good QB. But we lost the game simply because AS missed seeing wide open receivers all night, usually Tyreek Hill. But others as well. He has done this all year and in previous years. He has tunnel vision, and his mind, vision, and decisions are focused only on the designed play. He simply cannot see what is actually developing on the field. A great QB is needed to get to the dance. AS is the best we have right now, but he will never get us to the dance. Period.

Finally. A good qb overcomes, an average one not so much.

Archived