How was our roster built?

What choices are out there?

Do you want to go through all the Draft Picks at QB over the past 20 years?

I said Smith is the answer unless KC goes after a franchise QB. If the Chiefs can get Brees, Rivers, Romo...go for it.

w

How about the QBs we've drafted in the last 40 years? Can't get one if you don't make the effort.

We just cut 3-4 of them this past year....Do we need to go down the list?

w

Please let me know since Todd Blackledge where we actually attempted to draft what was considered a top prospect. We always go after someone else's cast off. THAT is a long list. After finding out what a horrible QB Kaepernick is, shouldn't Alex have been so much better than Kap that no none would have considered letting Smith go. How could these to even be considered as being close enough to even consider letting Smith go ILO Kap. Harbaugh knows more football than we'll ever know and that's the choice he made. So we put a chiefs uniform on him and now he's a QB that's going to lead us to the Super Bowl? Take a chance, move up. Get a young prospect. Here I go again....Grbac, Bono, Cassel, Smith. Same thing over and over. Same results.

What choices are out there?

Do you want to go through all the Draft Picks at QB over the past 20 years?

I said Smith is the answer unless KC goes after a franchise QB. If the Chiefs can get Brees, Rivers, Romo...go for it.

w

no way could the Chiefs afford any of those 3 and no way would I support Romo  for even 1/2 of Smith's salary because he cant stay on the field.

but lets go with this thought for arguments sake.  Tyrod Taylor skill set about the same as Smiths but younger and more mobile. Reid is supposed to be some sort of offensive genius so surly he could game plan  around him. Smiths Cap hit is $17 mil +/- lets just say the Chiefs could sign Tyrod for $6 mil + incentives  the savings altho not a great deal because of Smiths cap hit if cut would most likely help pay for another quality  player in a position of need. So my point being if the Chiefs can get 85% of Smiths skill set for 35% of the cost the Chiefs could strengthen the supporting cast. I know its not the Draft a Franchise QB solution but its another thought other than paying Foles who will demand a lot more $$.

Personally  I think we will hear that Dorsey is gone to GB within a week. Reid has a year left and to be truthfull who knows if he has the fire to  have his contract extended? With Dorsey gone he may think he has shot his wad  and retire.

Alex is the answer for KC unless the Chiefs try for a Franchise QB....

You keep acting like all we have to do is cut the guy and Franchise QB's will rain from the sky.

w

West, nick foles has one of the best seasons as a qb. He can at least push the ball. I'd rather start foles and fall apart then go through the inevitable. Alex smith has the lowest ypa in the NFL since 2010. That doesn't work anymore.

Let's revist at the draft.....

So far all we agree on is that we have tried and tried again and failed.

w

West, we have never tried for a franchise QB. We draft somebody in the 5th then cut him the next year. The excuse is always "he'll be gone when we draft" Then move up. Do we wait til we have the #1 overall pick and hope someone is available? 

I am all for replacing Smith, IF we can do better. That's the hard part. Easier said than done.

That said, trade up for Deshaun Watson. I think Reid can do wonders with that kid and unlike the other so called first round qb's, he's a winner. I think he gets picked apart in draft season and drops a bit. Not as far down as we pick but maybe far enough to make a trade reasonable.

Kid murdered bama's defense 2 years in a row. That ain't easy.

What did anyone do on Sunday to justify keeping their job?

It's not about just Sunday. He was ok. Average. Run of the mill. Nothing spectacular. He was just out there. Average Alex. He didn't lose it. And again he didn't win it. If you saw Rodgers against Dallas, that's how you win. Now I know many say we can't get lucky and get a Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Raplisberger, Ryan, Carr, Prescott, Rivers, Luck but we have to at least try and get a little closer to that talent level than Average Alex. I just want somebody we don't have to make excuses for every week. Somebody who can overcome adversity not use it as a crutch.  Remember the "Alex would be great if he didn't have so many different coaches and offenses at SF" Well he's had Andy and the same offense for 4 full years. He's still just average. His inability to mix in the long ball totally neutralized Hill's blazing speed.  When you game plan for Alex just take away the first ten yards. No fear of going over the top. Which hampers the run game with so many defenders up near the box. With Rapleslisberger he could throw a 60 yarder to Brown or Bell could run for 60, you have to defend it all. With us, take out Kelce and we're done. It's time to move on. 4 years is plenty. How many more seasons does he need? He wasn't a rookie when he got here.

You'll never have that guy. He doesn't exist. Quarterbacks will always disappoint you. Even the Rodgers' among them.

Loved Dawson and Montana. Cassel, Smith, Grbac, Bono, Thigpen, Krieg, disappointed me. I enjoy football and like to watch the really talented QBs. So Quarterbacks in general don't disappoint me. But it seems the QBs that weren't good enough for other teams that end up here always disappoint me. Hope I didn't disappoint you with how many times I used disappoint. ;) 

Archived