We Need A Franchise QB

No, you are taking what I said and twisting it into your own narrative.

The 49ers made it to the Super Bowl the year they benched Smith for Kaepernick and were a black out away from winning it, so yes I'd say it did work out. Since than, the talent level in SF has diminished greatly and the people that were committed to tutoring Kaepernick into a well-rounded starter were forced out the door.

I think you're being quite disingenuous by passive-aggressively laying a vast majority of the blame on the QB in one town, while throwing everything else under the bus before the QB in another town.

A blackout away from winning? The blackout before the almost comeback helped the Niners come back, not hurt their chances of holding on. So it was a close to winning due to a blackout, I guess.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A blackout away from winning? The blackout before the almost comeback helped the Niners come back, not hurt their chances of holding on. So it was a close to winning due to a blackout, I guess.

Er yeah, I guess I remembered that Super Bowl incorrectly.

Point remains, they were one play away from being SB champs.

The 49ers made it to the Super Bowl the year they benched Smith for Kaepernick and were a black out away from winning it, so yes I'd say it did work out.

No, the 49ers were down 6-28 before the blackout. Colin Kaepernick's offense had seven consecutive drives without reaching the end zone.

Or did you mean that the 49ers needed the assistance of another stadium blackout so that a Ravens defense further iced would be unable to respond to his read-option college-ball nonsense?

No, the 49ers were down 6-28 before the blackout. Colin Kaepernick's offense had seven consecutive drives without reaching the end zone.

Or did you mean that the 49ers needed the assistance of another stadium blackout so that a Ravens defense further iced would be unable to respond to his read-option college-ball nonsense?

Didn't Utah run read-option college-ball nonsense when Smith was there? Just asking.

Didn't Utah run read-option college-ball nonsense when Smith was there? Just asking.

It was a spread option offense, not an NFL pro-set offense. NCAA accolades, his performance on the Wonderlic and at the combine, his age, and his personality buoyed his draft stock. When Smith was drafted first overall, it wasn't deemed as a reach, although the lack of pro-set experience assured that there would be a learning curve, and that he would need time to adapt to the league.

It means a lot when you see a player come out of college with pro-style offense experience. Smith's struggles early in his career had much less to do with the system he worked with in collegiate football, and more to do with mismanagement by the franchise from coaching to scheme to roster. The 49ers had been dysfunctional for years prior to Smith's being drafted, and a lot of that dysfunction has persisted even through the Jim Harbaugh years.

Manziel rushed for 108 yards against the Chiefs in 2015 and almost won the game, he basically had nobody at WR worth a crap.

Andy Reid signed Michael Vick after serving 21 months in prison, so don't rule it out.

The way Manziel scrambles outside of the pocket to find an open WR, reminds me of Aaron Rodgers.

Manziel rushed for 108 yards against the Chiefs in 2015 and almost won the game, he basically had nobody at WR worth a crap.

Andy Reid signed Michael Vick after serving 21 months in prison, so don't rule it out.

The way Manziel scrambles outside of the pocket to find an open WR, reminds me of Aaron Rodgers.

The difference between Johnny Manziel and Mike Vick is that Vick tried to better himself as a football player. Manziel came into the league with an entitled attitude. Athletes that enter the NFL with the view that they've already 'made it' end up being the most worthless players.

I don't believe Manziel is willing to compete for a backup role, and to grow in that role over a succession of seasons to the extent that he could be a legitimate starter. It's one thing to make a criminally prosecutable offense. It's another to be a head case.

Manziel was an addict through college, and there is really no assurance he is not still an addict. It was not addressed in college, and I doubt no one knew it at the time. They were getting production. He was Johnny football, and the coach was not going to address the matter, perhaps because he did not want to ruin a good thing. When Manziel entered the NFL, he had money, and his habitual problems were better financed. In college, the NCAA should have suspended Manziel. They had him for illegally taking money for selling his autograph. There was only one charge, but it is generally accepted Manziel received a steady flow of income off autograph sessions before the NCAA cracked down.

The talent was there, but in the NFL, most players cannot sustain a career with significant chemical addictions. Manziel's lack of ideal size is a contributing factor, but it was his addictions that made him unable to sustain a career.

Great, I am all for drafting him.

The odds of him becoming a Franchise QB are about 1000:1 so I would not get rid of Smith.

w

We need to try at least. I think Reid can develope a 1st round QB into a winner. We haven't drafted one since 1983. We have plenty of compensatory picks this draft let's do it!

Smith was a highly sought after prospect in the draft. He only lost 1 game in college, and was largely responsible for his team's success. At the combine, he impressed everyone with his maturity, confidence, and intelligence. He put up strong numbers during the routine exercises, and threw the ball well. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000139236/2005-NFL-Scouting-Combine-Alex-Smith

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=7256

Also: http://www.footballsfuture.com/2005/prospects/alex_smith.html

Alex Smith displayed good velocity on the ball, which is an indication of a strong arm. The only thing the scouts mentioned (too many instances to record here), and they were all fairly uniformed, was he needed to sit for a season or two in order for his body to develop because he was so young. Smith was just 20 years old during the draft, and it is assumed most adults do not develop physically until they are 22 or 23 at the earliest.

Smith never got that opportunity to sit, and work on his physical condition. Instead, San Francisco (a troubled organization at that time), hurried Smith into a backward system without a supporting cast. They befuddled him with three straight coaching changes in his first three years, and four soon thereafter.

Ladies and gentlemen, Alex Smith was a better prospect in the draft than we have had in recent years. None of the current cast of quarterback hopefuls in the 2017 draft come close. Things did not work out for Smith as was forecast by the experts, but there were reasons. Often, it is luck as much as talent that determines the fate of a player at the next level.

Len Dawson was the fifth player taken in the first round of the draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1957. Ted Marchibroda was entrenched as a starter the preceding year when Dawson was drafted. But, they brought in Earl Morrall to start. The following season Morrall hit the pines, and Bobby Layne was brought over from Detroit to be the starter. Dawson completed three passes in 1959, and was traded to Cleveland the following spring. Dawson was elated to play for a better coach, and Paul Brown thought Dawson could be their eventual starter. After two seasons, Dawson continued to rest on the pines. In two years with the Browns, Dawson had completed just 7 passes in two clean up scenarios. His career was going nowhere. If not for Lamar Hunt's insight, and the new American Football League, Lenny Dawson might have been an asterisk.

I don't give a rip if the Chiefs ever draft their own guy. As long as they find a quarterback who can put them in a position to win, it does not matter how he gets employed. Right now Alex Smith is our best shot at winning. We don't have a better option even if we really wish it to happen. New England didn't succeed with Tom Brady because they wished it to succeed. Bledsoe was their veteran quarterback when Belichick took over for Pete Carroll. Carroll left the NFL to be the coach for USC, and many believed the NFL Carroll was unfit to coach at the NFL level. The Patriots hired Belichick, who failed at Cleveland, and was seen by most as a defensive coordinator, and unfit to be a head coach. Still, Bledsoe was the quarterback, and if not for an injury, Tom Brady may have not had a chance. Luck is probably the most overlooked, and underrated quality that leads to success.

If we keep Alex we really need to load up on defense through both the draft and FA. The offense can be average at best as we've seen for 4 years. We need a dominant defense. Horse Face went and got Ware, Talib and Ward and won a SB. We are definitely going to have to Dilfer our way to the Super Bowl. We'll need a top starter at ILB and some depth. Another CB and an aggressive edge rusher opposite of Houston who shows up every play.  Get Berry signed

If we keep Alex we really need to load up on defense through both the draft and FA. The offense can be average at best as we've seen for 4 years. We need a dominant defense. Horse Face went and got Ware, Talib and Ward and won a SB. We are definitely going to have to Dilfer our way to the Super Bowl. We'll need a top starter at ILB and some depth. Another CB and an aggressive edge rusher opposite of Houston who shows up every play.  Get Berry signed

donkey boy had manning...still a big reason why they won the SB last year

i still want us to go after a QB but to be honest..those guys at the Senior bowl SUCK and unless someone like watson falls to us (highly unlikely) i would like to see us go after Hassan Reddick in the first (dude has big time motor and could be the future replacement for DJ...maybe we move up a bit in the 2nd and grab Mahomes

Josh Allen is my pick, but he did not declare this season. Look him up. Size, mobility, rocket arm, and good mechanics. He needs a little work. He has a little Brett Favre type qualities. Some are good, and others drive you crazy. He will tear up receivers' hands. He throws it hard.

This year, my pick would be Mahomes, but I don't think he will fall far enough for the Chiefs to get to him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STF6piOtIP0

Neither player is ready to go off the shelf. They need to sit on the bench behind a smart quarterback, and ruminate a while. That is why the Chiefs have two rather apparent choices, in my opinion. They can try to move up or hope Mahomes comes to them. They also could decide to make a few trades, perhaps even trade their first pick this season to get a higher selection next, and snag Josh Allen. Allen is my favorite player in terms of raw talent and ability. Neither is polished.

CBS has us picking a MLB from Florida.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/nfl-mock-draft-defensive-needy-cowboys-find-a-pass-rusher-in-auburns-carl-lawson/

Archived