QB Prospects for 2017 Draft

But it's ok for you to reference writers just a few hours ago in another thread? Bay Area writers said it was a mistake to trade Alex???... something of that nature you said..

Lol, it's ok for you? Genius.

Man, you are something else...

You clearly believe who you want to, but then you accuse me of doing the same? Interesting.

The Bay Area is writing about this now. I wrote about this more than four years ago. The Bay Area is just coming to terms with what happened. They credit Alex Smith with the turnaround of the Chiefs' franchise. I know it's not a popular view here, but the idea isn't wrong because it's unpopular. It used to be unpopular to believe that Colin Kaepernick might not develop and could have a very short career.

Anyway, when you catch up, I'll still be here.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You clearly believe who you want to, but then you accuse me of doing the same? Interesting.

The Bay Area is writing about this now. I wrote about this more than four years ago. The Bay Area is just coming to terms with what happened. They credit Alex Smith with the turnaround of the Chiefs' franchise. I know it's not a popular view here, but the idea isn't wrong because it's unpopular. It used to be unpopular to believe that Colin Kaepernick might not develop and could have a very short career.

Anyway, when you catch up, I'll still be here.

I'm just fine.

You used writers to back and or justify your argument but no one else can.

Walterfootball mock (Jan, 19 version) has 4 quarterbacks taken in the first round.

pick 2   San Francisco    - DeShone Kizer - ND

pick 6   New York Jets     - Mitch Trubisky -  NC

pick 10 Buffalo Bills         - Pat Mahomes -  TexTech

pick 23 New York Giants - Deshaun Watson - Clemson

pick 89 Houston              - Nathan Peterman -  Pitt

pick 99 Jacksonville        - Brad Kaaya - MIA

pick101 LA Rams            - Jerod Evans - Va Tech

pick106 Chicago              - Davis Webb - CAL

Four rounds, there you go. Which one is going to put us over the top, and how much will it cost us? Getting to the Super Bowl is something that has eluded the Chiefs. The Chiefs lack a Super Bowl quality QB, so some say. OK, let's look at the recent participants. Since the Tom Brady era, these are the participants.

50 Peyton Manning over Cam Newton

49 Tom Brady over Russell Wilson

48 Russell Wilson over Peyton Manning

47 Joe Flacco over Colin Kaepernick

46 Eli Manning over Tom Brady

45 Aaron Rodgers over Ben Roethlisberger

44 Drew Brees over Peyton Manning

43 Ben Roethlisberger over Kurt Warner

42 Eli Manning over Tom Brady

41 Peyton Manning over Rex Grossman

40 Ben Roethlisberger over Matt Hasselbeck

39 Tom Brady over Donovan McNabb

38 Tom Brady over Jake Delhomme

37 Brad Johnson over Rich Gannon

36 Tom Brady over Kurt Warner

Every year someone mentions Tom Brady was a 6th round selection. Tom Brady, Matt Hasselbeck, Brad Johnson, Jake Delhomme, and Kurt Warner are exceptions.

pick # 1 Peyton Manning, Cam Newton, and Eli Manning

pick # 2 Donovan McNabb

pick #11 Ben Roethlisberger

pick #18 Joe Flacco

pick #22 Rex Grossman

pick #24 Aaron Rodgers

pick #32 Drew Brees

pick #36 Colin Kaepernick

pick #75 Russell Wilson

pick #98 Rich Gannon

pick#187 Matt Hasselbeck

pick#199 Tom Brady

pick#227 Brad Johnson

UDFA Jake Delhomme

UDFA Kurt Warner

12 of the 15 players drafted to play in the Super Bowl in the Tom Brady era were taken in the first four rounds. Three were taken in the sixth round or beyond in the draft, and two went undrafted. One of those was a check out boy in a grocery store, and played in the Arena league before getting a shot at the NFL.

Alex Smith was a #1 pick in 2005. He is probably about as good as Flacco, maybe better. Grossman, Kaepernick, Gannon, Hasselbeck, Brad Johnson, and Jake Delhomme were not as good as Alex Smith. Argue with me, but it isn't even close. Gannon, for all the love, had a noodle arm.

Guys, and Gals... this is over a 15 year span of time. Then entrants in the Super Bowl this year will be either Tom Brady or Ben Roethlisberger from the AFC, and either Matt Ryan or Aaron Rodgers in the NFC. The only possible addition to our role of Super Bowl participants would be Matt Ryan. Matt Ryan was picked #3 in the draft by the Atlanta Falcons.

About 1 player in each draft year has been fortunate to make it to the Super Bowl. Of those, three were taken #1 overall. Nine were taken in picks 1 through 32 (1st round this year). Twelve of the fifteen drafted players to play in a Super Bowl were taken in the first four rounds of the draft. Tom Brady, and two others were later draft picks. Kurt Warner, and Jake Delhomme were not even thought of in the draft.

Feeling confident to roll that pair of dice?

Walterfootball mock (Jan, 19 version) has 4 quarterbacks taken in the first round.

pick 2 San Francisco - DeShone Kizer - ND

pick 6 New York Jets - Mitch Trubisky - NC

pick 10 Buffalo Bills - Pat Mahomes - TexTech

pick 23 New York Giants - Deshaun Watson - Clemson

pick 89 Houston - Nathan Peterman - Pitt

pick 99 Jacksonville - Brad Kaaya - MIA

pick101 LA Rams - Jerod Evans - Va Tech

pick106 Chicago - Davis Webb - CAL

Four rounds, there you go. Which one is going to put us over the top, and how much will it cost us? Getting to the Super Bowl is something that has eluded the Chiefs. The Chiefs lack a Super Bowl quality QB, so some say. OK, let's look at the recent participants. Since the Tom Brady era, these are the participants.

50 Peyton Manning over Cam Newton

49 Tom Brady over Russell Wilson

48 Russell Wilson over Peyton Manning

47 Joe Flacco over Colin Kaepernick

46 Eli Manning over Tim Brady

45 Aaron Rodgers over Ben Roethlisberger

44 Drew Brees over Peyton Manning

43 Ben Roethlisberger over Kurt Warner

42 Eli Manning over Tom Brady

41 Peyton Manning over Rex Grossman

40 Ben Roethlisberger over Matt Hasselbeck

39 Tom Brady over Donovan McNabb

38 Tom Brady over Jake Delhomme

37 Brad Johnson over Rich Gannon

36 Tom Brady over Kurt Warner

Many of the losers were exceptional qb's as well

Many of the losers were exceptional qb's as well

Yes, many of them were exceptional. Jim Kelly was a prime example of an exceptional QB, who just could not win the  SB game. Making it to the event is a tough task. It gives you a shot of winning. Just think, if Rex Grossman could have had a great game, he might be in the Hall of Fame. Well, maybe not.

That kind of thinking has lead us to not drafting a QBOTF  for almmost 30 years. IF they like him in round 1, then better fucking draft him.   This is a talented roster, it needs a QB that will take charge and throw downfield when the WR's are open. They need a QB that can take a game over. 

We always draft the linebacker, the CB, the offensive line, the safety. its time to draft THE QB.

Okay, who?

Okay, who?

Only they know.   Its their job to do it, i could toss out names like everyone else, but why?   I just know 1 thing. I have already seen this same ass script from the last 20 years with the Chiefs and its all ended the  same.

You are not watching what i am watching...You are taking the same end result and then making the assumption we failed each time for the same reason.  That is not accurate.

Trent Green and Priest Holmes lead teams lost because we had ZERO defense.

Marty Inc Lost because he redefined conservative offense.

Today's Chiefs have youth and great balance. 

I believe that the Chiefs are 2-3 players away from being dominant.  The Oline is getting better, our young running backs are getting better, our special teams are solid, Our DB;s are borderline fantastic. Our D-Line is only going to get better with key starters returning.

I'll say it again.  If there is a better option at QB, then get it.  But to throw out a known commodity without a real plan is silliness.

w

Only they know.   Its their job to do it, i could toss out names like everyone else, but why?   I just know 1 thing. I have already seen this same ass script from the last 20 years with the Chiefs and its all ended the  same.

If you're going to complain about the Chiefs draft picks, then man up a state alternatives.  I'm not defending Smith or the Chiefs for having him as their starter, but compared to Palko, Huard, Cassel, and Croyle, Smith is a huge improvement and makes watching games interesting again.  Is he flawed in some aspects?  Yes.  Could Brady or Rodgers lead the Chiefs to a SB?  Probably.  I just don't see how the Chiefs get an all-star QB in the first round this year and any of the past five.  They drafted a QB in two of the last three drafts and signed Bray earlier.  So they missed on Prescott and Carr.  So did a lot of other teams needing a QB more than the Chiefs.  It's a craps shoot and the Chiefs haven't struck gold yet, but I don't accuse them of not trying.

I am not saying to send Smith packing. But, what the hell is wrong with taking a shot at say, DeShaun Watson, and letting him sit behind Smith or Foles for a couple of years and develop? Green Bay had Farve, and still drafted Rogers. San Fran had Montana and still signed Young. San Diego had Brees and still drafted Rivers. Etc.

Take a shot, for crying out loud. Don't wait until Smith is all but done and trade for another retread. That philosophy has been unsuccessful.

Agree.... I am fine taking a QB....But we all know the odds of that guy putting THIS team over the top in the SB over the next couple of years.

It is also  unfair to say KC is not trying to Draft / Develop a young QB.  It is fair to say that they have FAILED miserably in Drafting and/or developing the next Franchise QB.

w

If you're going to complain about the Chiefs draft picks, then man up a state alternatives.  I'm not defending Smith or the Chiefs for having him as their starter, but compared to Palko, Huard, Cassel, and Croyle, Smith is a huge improvement and makes watching games interesting again.  Is he flawed in some aspects?  Yes.  Could Brady or Rodgers lead the Chiefs to a SB?  Probably.  I just don't see how the Chiefs get an all-star QB in the first round this year and any of the past five.  They drafted a QB in two of the last three drafts and signed Bray earlier.  So they missed on Prescott and Carr.  So did a lot of other teams needing a QB more than the Chiefs.  It's a craps shoot and the Chiefs haven't struck gold yet, but I don't accuse them of not trying.

^^^^ this

If you're going to complain about the Chiefs draft picks, then man up a state alternatives. I'm not defending Smith or the Chiefs for having him as their starter, but compared to Palko, Huard, Cassel, and Croyle, Smith is a huge improvement and makes watching games interesting again. Is he flawed in some aspects? Yes. Could Brady or Rodgers lead the Chiefs to a SB? Probably. I just don't see how the Chiefs get an all-star QB in the first round this year and any of the past five. They drafted a QB in two of the last three drafts and signed Bray earlier. So they missed on Prescott and Carr. So did a lot of other teams needing a QB more than the Chiefs. It's a craps shoot and the Chiefs haven't struck gold yet, but I don't accuse them of not trying.

I don't think they have really tried yet. Hogan and Murray were 5th round guys. Chances are they were just hoping they could develop them into being decent backups more than anything. I doubt they looked at either of them as the heir apparent to Smith.

Smith is going to be 33 going into the season and i think it's time they actually start looking for someone to take his place. Tired of going down the same road and getting some other teams cast off so why not draft someone within the first 3 rounds and let the guy sit for a year or 2.

I am not saying to send Smith packing. But, what the *** is wrong with taking a shot at say, DeShaun Watson, and letting him sit behind Smith or Foles for a couple of years and develop?

Opportunity cost. If DeShaun Watson doesn't prove to be better than what the Chiefs are already starting, you end up losing out on a talented player that could have made an impact, and you end up with nothing to show for it.

If we look at Dorsey's MO the last 4 drafts he tends to draft a player to eventually replace an impact player in the last year of his contract. I absolutely expect the Chiefs to draft Smiths eventual replacement in the first two rounds of this years draft.

Like our 3rd round pick last year.

Yeah, but for the Chiefs to draft Watson, you may be looking at multiple high-round draft picks spanning several years.

Again, this fascination with the ideas that franchise quarterbacks come exclusively through the draft is not founded on anything real. It's a fan perception. Nothing more. Fortunately fans aren't running the Chiefs' franchise.

Get back to me when you can even define what a "franchise quarterback" is. If the definition has anything to do with carrying a franchise, the response is automatically disqualified from consideration.

If we look at Dorsey's MO the last 4 drafts he tends to draft a player to eventually replace an impact player in the last year of his contract. I absolutely expect the Chiefs to draft Smiths eventual replacement in the first two rounds of this years draft.

Unless Smith gets an extension. The Chiefs didn't draft a quarterback early when Smith was down to the last year of his 2012 contract.

Opportunity cost. If DeShaun Watson doesn't prove to be better than what the Chiefs are already starting, you end up losing out on a talented player that could have made an impact, and you end up with nothing to show for it.

ughh, since 1970 the Chiefs have nothing to show for anything!  SO, if they miss, what does it matter in the grand scheme of things if they lose out on a talented player if they "try" to draft a QB if he does indeed fail. I dont see a difference.

Starting with 1980 their have been 37 super bowls played. 27 of the SB winners got their QB they won the SB with on draft day.

The odds are overwhelming that teams find the QB that eventually gets them to a SB on draft day. It can be done the way the Chiefs but the odds are very much against it. Its hard enough to get there to begin with but we are trying to take the most difficult path and have been for 30 years and have come close only once.

Archived