QB Prospects for 2017 Draft

ughh, since 1970 the Chiefs have nothing to show for anything!  SO, if they miss, what does it matter in the grand scheme of things if they lose out on a talented player if they "try" to draft a QB if he does indeed fail. I dont see a difference.

Because the cost is falling behind other teams in the division trying to replace a player at a position where it's unlikely you'll do better. The end result? A team that has made the post-season three out of the last four years starts missing the post-season because rather than bringing on a pair of players that could make an impact as rookies, as well as a couple more players that could eventually progress to be starters, you're investing in a player that will most likely stay on the bench for the duration of his rookie contract.

You're fixating on something that has no relationship to actually winning games. That's why this conversation comes to its end with you saying, "So what if in trying they lose?" This is what: The Chiefs are not the embarrassment they were in 2012. Your "idea" is one of the surest routes to returning to the dregs of the NFL.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think most fans have the stomach to watch a 1st round QB sit behind Alex Smith, so people can say we should do like the pack did with Rodgers, and that sounds good, but they'll be back here crying about him not playing.

Others are saying draft one high and take your lumps, but I doubt they have the stomach for multiple losing years it would take to finally find the guy.

That said, I would trade picks and go get the QB Dorsey and Reid like. I think we need quality over quantity with drafts at this point so I am not opposed to that. Just saying be careful what you wish for.

That said, I would trade picks and go get the QB Dorsey and Reid like.

And if the Chiefs don't take a quarterback high, what does that say about Dorsey and Reid? That they are pawns of an organization committed to drafting at every position except quarterback? Some would insist that is the case.

And if the Chiefs don't take a quarterback high, what does that say about Dorsey and Reid? That they are pawns of an organization committed to drafting at every position except quarterback? Some would insist that is the case.

Meh. Just says they didn't like the options, or the price, or both.

People insist on lots of things. Doesn't make it true. But they're entitled to their opinion.

I don't think most fans have the stomach to watch a 1st round QB sit behind Alex Smith, so people can say we should do like the pack did with Rodgers, and that sounds good, but they'll be back here crying about him not playing.

Others are saying draft one high and take your lumps, but I doubt they have the stomach for multiple losing years it would take to finally find the guy.

That said, I would trade picks and go get the QB Dorsey and Reid like. I think we need quality over quantity with drafts at this point so I am not opposed to that. Just saying be careful what you wish for.

If I knew they were building for the future, I could handle even 2 more years of Alex.

How would you know "they are building for the future" after this draft vs the last 2 drafts?

Man o man, we have one of the youngest rosters in the league and we are now one of the deepest teams in the league. We went 12-4 with a ton of 2nd string guys getting huge reps....all over the lineup.

Your fixation is seemingly tainting your mental clarity.

w

If I knew they were building for the future, I could handle even 2 more years of Alex.

I would imagine they will really look this year or next year for QB to take over after Alex. Reid traded McNabb when he was 33. Pack drafted Rogers when Favre was 35. Smith will be 34 when his contract expires.

I think they will be ready.

im a Lakers, fan im used of the Lakers winning over and over and over and over and over. 10 titles in my life. They have recently sucked but the team is building the right way with young talent.  Most laker fans are ok with this.    That's what you want from your front office,

I have never in my 40 years on this planet seen the Lakers so bad for so many years, this is 100 percent new to me, but im ok with it.  Do it the right way to set you up for long term suceess. 

I am a Lakers fan as well...

You forgot to add that the Lakers screwed the pooch letting the Logo go to Golden State. Did you know the Warriors were set to trade Clay Thomson to the lakers for Kobe 3 years ago and Jerry West told Lacob to stop the process immediately?

You also know that the latest collective bargaining agreement places huge fines on teams that overspend vs the Cap vs the 80's and the 90's.  lakers have had trouble attracting ANY real free agents...(Melo?)

You also know Dr. Jerry Buss is dead and Magic is on the outside looking in right now.

You also know that Jim Buss is under heavy fire for his dumbassery and Jeannie may take over after this season.

You also know the Lakers have been lucky as hell with the Ping Pong Balls lately....

I am a Lakers fan as well and truthfully, I am far less convinced that they got this rebuild correct.

w

How would you know "they are building for the future" after this draft vs the last 2 drafts?

Man o man, we have one of the youngest rosters in the league and we are now one of the deepest teams in the league. We went 12-4 with a ton of 2nd string guys getting huge reps....all over the lineup.

Your fixation is seemingly tainting your mental clarity.

w

What in the fuck are you talking about? Building for the future at the QB position is exactly what it means.

Had nothing to do with the overall roster.

I was quoting a post about a future QB, in a thread about future QB's. Good god.

But to respond to your drivel, the Chiefs do have some pieces that need to replaced and things that need to be improved. Rebuilding doesn't always equate to tearing down everything and sucking for years. It's not a total rebuild ala the Browns.

The Chiefs have aging players on Defense, a salary cap dilemma and a stop gap QB that has already hit his ceiling and who knows how soon the bottom is going to fall out.

The Chiefs keystone players for years were Charles, Hali, DJ and Colquitt. They are all old and losing effectiveness.

Great answer.....

You acknowledge that the Chiefs have a young roster, they are rebuilding through any means  possible to replace aging vets   and you still  have no real suggestions about who the next QB should be other than " keep drafting QB's ".

w

Joel Stave

300px-Joel_Stave_hand_off_to_Melvin_Gord
Stave handing off to Melvin Gordon in 2014
No. 8 Kansas City Chiefs Position: Quarterback Personal information Date of birth: May 16, 1992 (age 24) Place of birth: Greenfield, Wisconsin Height: 6 ft 5 in (1.96 m) Weight: 230 lb (104 kg) Career information High school: Greenfield (WI) Whitnall College: Wisconsin Undrafted: 2016 Career history  * Offseason and/or practice squad member only Roster status: Reserve/Future Career highlights and awards Career NFL statistics Player stats at NFL.com

Joel Stave (born May 16, 1992) is an American football quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for the Wisconsin Badgers.

High school career

Stave attended Whitnall High School in Greenfield, Wisconsin, where he was a three-year letter winner in football and track and field and two in basketball. As a junior, Stave passed for 2,459 yards and 19 touchdowns and ran for an additional five touchdowns. He was honorable mention all-state by the WFCA, first-team all-region, all-suburban, all-conference and second-team all-area as a junior. As a senior, Stave threw for 2,635 yards and 22 touchdowns and ran for an additional seven touchdowns. He earned first-team all-state honors by the WFCA, honorable mention A.P. all-state honors, unanimous conference player of the year, first-team all-conference and second-team all-region as a senior. In his career with the Falcons, Stave threw for 5,094 yards and 41 touchdowns and added 12 rushing touchdowns.

Following his high school career, Stave was rated a two-star recruit by both Scout.com and Rivals.com. He was also rated the number 17th rated or top 10th player from the state of Wisconsin and the 110th ranked quarterback in the country.

College career

Stave left Wisconsin as the school's all-time winningest quarterback with a 31-10 record as a starter. His .756 win percentage ranks No. 3 among Wisconsin quarterbacks. In his career with the Badgers, he started 41 games (third-most by a quarterback in school history) and went 22-6 (.786) as a starter against Big Ten opponents, setting school records for wins and winning percentage in conference games. He threw for 7,635 yards and 48 touchdowns, ranking second in school history in both categories. He also finished his career ranked No. 2 in passing attempts (1,031) and completions (613) and No. 4 in completion percentage (59.5%). He threw for over 200 yards in a game 18 times, the most in school history and became the first quarterback in school history to post a 4-0 record against an opponent, doing so against Purdue, Illinois and Minnesota.

Redshirt season (2011)

Stave enrolled in spring semester and took part in spring practice.

Freshman season (2012)

On September 15, Stave made his Badgers debut against Utah State. Stave made his first career start on September 22 against UTEP and became the first Wisconsin freshman quarterback to start since Jim Sorgi on October 21, 2000. He recorded a career high 254 passing yards on October 6 against Illinois. Stave was injured on October 27 against Michigan State missing the rest of the regular season and the 2012 Big Ten Football Championship Game. He returned in the 2013 Rose Bowl and attempted one pass in the game.

Sophomore season (2013)

Stave recorded his first career rushing touchdown on August 31 against UMass. Established new career highs in completions (24), attempts (29) and touchdown passes (3) against Tennessee Tech on September 7.

Junior season (2014)

Stave passed for 1,350 yards, nine touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Senior season (2015)

As a senior, Stave passed for 2,687 yards and 11 touchdowns. In winning his final game of his collegiate career Joel Stave was named Holiday Bowl Offensive MVP and captured the title of winningest quarterback in Badgers history with 31 career wins, surpassing Brooks Bollinger's record set in 2002.

Stave finished his career at Wisconsin as program's all time leader in wins as a starting quarterback, with 31. Stave, a civil engineering major, also finished All-Academic Big Ten four times, breaking a record previously held by Drew Brees. He was also given the Big Ten Medal of Honor in 2016

Statistics Collegiate career statistics Wisconsin Badgers Season Games Games

started Record Passing Rushing Comp Att Yards Pct. TD Int QB rating Att Yards Avg TD 2011 Redshirt 2012 8 6 4–2 70 119 1,104 58.8 6 3 148.3 19 −51 −2.7 0 2013 13 13 9–4 208 336 2,494 61.9 22 13 138.1 37 −22 −0.6 1 2014 10 9 8–1 110 206 1,350 53.4 9 10 113.2 13 −70 −5.4 0 2015 13 13 10–3 225 370 2,687 60.8 11 11 125.7 33 −123 −3.7 1 NCAA Career Totals 44 41 31–10 613 1,031 7,635 59.5 48 37 129.9 102 -266 -2.6 2

Source:[1]

Professional career Pre-draft measurables Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP 6 ft 5 in 236 lb 33 14 in 10 34 in 4.80 s 1.63 s 2.77 s 4.33 s 7.29 s 33.5 in 9 ft 7 in   All values from NFL Combine[2][3] Minnesota Vikings

Stave signed as an undrafted free agent with the Minnesota Vikings in 2016. On September 3, 2016, he was released by the Vikings as part of final roster cuts.[4] The next day, he was signed to the Vikings' practice squad.[5] He was released by the Vikings on October 25, 2016.[6]

Seattle Seahawks

On October 26, 2016, the Seattle Seahawks signed Stave to their practice squad.[7] He was released by the Seahawks on November 1, 2016.[8]

Kansas City Chiefs

On November 8, 2016 Stave was signed to the Chiefs practice squad.[9] He signed a reserve/future contract with the Chiefs on January 19, 2017.[10]

My best value pick of the draft in 2017 is Pat Mahomes, who has horrible mechanics, but has a live arm, and can create on the spot. Makes decisions very quickly. He is really raw, and whomever takes him must realize he is a project. If they decide to keep him on the bench, and coach him up, he could be a very good player in the NFL. If they stick him as a starter, he will be run out of football.

The best QB in draft is Mitch Trubisky. He is the most pro ready guy in the draft. He has the best mechanics, and the tightest throws.

DeShone Kizer has poor mechanics, but he has a strong arm, and can move in the pocket. He does not see the field well.

Deshawn Watkins is a winner, but that may not translate to the next level. He is a run first QB, and not too many of them make it far. Watkins has a decent arm, but he is really inaccurate, and some of that is due to his horrible mechanics, but a lot of it is he is inaccurate.

Brad Kaaya is immobile, but can learn how to operate within the pocket with little steps in or out. He has does not seem to have good vision of the field. This could be due to his immobility and the fact he faced a lot of pressure. He is tough, but I would not draft him. He does have a strong arm, and can be precise.

Davis Webb was the starter for Texas Tech, but he got hurt, and TT moved on from him to Mahomes. This may have been a blessing in disguise, because he was able to move to Cal, and play in a pro style offense. He has a good arm, and can put some touch on the ball. He has some injury issues. He does not see the field well, and his mechanics can get out of sorts. 

A guy I like next year is Josh Allen. Allen is wild. He needs to receive some good coaching. He will make some back foot throws, and can be prone to do some bone head things. However, he is also a play maker. He reminds me of Brett Favre because of the good throws, and the bone head plays.

Should the Chiefs take a QB this year? It depends on where the players fall. If Mahomes does poorly at the combine, and falls to the second round, the Chiefs should snatch him up. I don't think he will fall to the Chiefs in the first round. He is not a sure thing, but he has the type of arm that is strong enough to throw off his back foot, and still get the ball there.

I don't know where Josh Allen will end up next year. He could receive some attention. I hope not, and maybe he can fly under the radar.

I'm not sure that there's any QB except Trubisky that's going to help the Chiefs any more than Bray or even Murray would have.  They'll probably draft one hoping to catch lighting in a bottle, but the odds of the next starter coming out of this draft are long.  Either get ready for another Smith season (he's not as bad as some here like to suggest), trade him and go with Foles, or go through the agonies of a "not ready" new guy who will make the fans wish for a return of Smith.  JMHO

I'm not sure that there's any QB except Trubisky that's going to help the Chiefs any more than Bray or even Murray would have.  They'll probably draft one hoping to catch lighting in a bottle, but the odds of the next starter coming out of this draft are long.  Either get ready for another Smith season (he's not as bad as some here like to suggest), trade him and go with Foles, or go through the agonies of a "not ready" new guy who will make the fans wish for a return of Smith.  JMHO

I know who you're talking about when you say "some here". :) I think a lot of these prospects can throw bubble screens, slant passes to the best TE in the game, rush for 130 yards for the season and throw for 15 TDs in 15 games. The shoes to be filled aren't that big.  I wonder if any of them can stretch the field and get Hill's speed involved. I agree with E, Mahomes would be good value. If not, give Foles a shot next year and let Bray back him up. If we go with the same formula as we have the last 4 years, we'll be sitting at 27 again next year saying "We can't move up, too risky" 

I know who you're talking about when you say "some here". :) I think a lot of these prospects can throw bubble screens, slant passes to the best TE in the game, rush for 130 yards for the season and throw for 15 TDs in 15 games. The shoes to be filled aren't that big.  I wonder if any of them can stretch the field and get Hill's speed involved. I agree with E, Mahomes would be good value. If not, give Foles a shot next year and let Bray back him up. If we go with the same formula as we have the last 4 years, we'll be sitting at 27 again next year saying "We can't move up, too risky" 

Point taken, but I don't see any rookie coming in and winning 12 games with a beat up lineup and DJ and JC on the bench.  Your description of Smith leaves out the fact that he wins.  Okay, he didn't win over the Steelers this year of the Pats last year, but do you really think Mahomes could do it next year?  Are you willing to wait three years for the next QBOTF to get up to speed after the Chiefs turn over what's now a pretty good roster?  I want a new starting quality QB, but don't think he will be an instant winner like Prescott, at least not in this draft.

Point taken, but I don't see any rookie coming in and winning 12 games with a beat up lineup and DJ and JC on the bench.  Your description of Smith leaves out the fact that he wins.  Okay, he didn't win over the Steelers this year of the Pats last year, but do you really think Mahomes could do it next year?  Are you willing to wait three years for the next QBOTF to get up to speed after the Chiefs turn over what's now a pretty good roster?  I want a new starting quality QB, but don't think he will be an instant winner like Prescott, at least not in this draft.

I don't know what Mahomes could do next year or Foles or anybody else. I do know that Smith hasn't gotten it done. He's 0-3 vs Roethlisberger, Luck & Brady. Same thing over and over and over and over. Same results. That statement that Alex wins is interesting. We give credit to Smith because he just wins. Yet when he loses, excuses fly. So is it fair to say that he wins in the regular season and he loses in the post season? Some will bring up the New Orleans game while he was with SF. Means nothing to me. I don't even remember that. Not important. I'm a Chiefs fan. So. Alex Smith is a good man. He's had his shot. Hope we have someone better that stretches the field, looks down field under pressure, throws beyond the sticks on 3rd & 8. But if Alex is our QB again next year, I'll cheer for him and my Chiefs. Always do. But I think we have a pretty good sample of what to expect. I'm not one who believes that if we plug in an ILB or an OL we are suddenly going to beat the Bradys and Roethlisbergers of the world. Again, hope I'm wrong. That plate of crow is getting cold but I'll gladly eat it.

Until there is a viable option presented, it will be Smith or Foles......

As I said earlier, I would trade the house for Andrew Luck...but nobody trades Franchise QB's.

...and its about 2000 : 1 odds playing the draft based on history.

w

Archived