Solution at FS?

Chiefs third-round CB Phillip Gaines could be moved to free safety.

Gaines was a four-year starter at cornerback for Rice, but the Chiefs are looking at him as a single-high safety in OTAs. He reported to minicamp at just 183 pounds, so Gaines needs to get his weight back up. Gaines is more likely to see snaps as a boundary corner in Bob Sutton's press-man scheme, and is a candidate to replace Brandon Flowers on the outside in nickel packages.

--  Associated Press via Rotoworld

Interesting indeed.

I'm not discounting the importance of covering the slot, but Flowers makes a lot of $$$ to be playing that position.  I think he's still the starting CB and will take most snaps covering the WR.

Don't misunderstand.  Flowers will still start outside in base sets then move inside on 3/4/5 WR sets.  Against a team like DEN, its absolutely the right thing to do.  The smaller shiftier guys like Welker are the ones usually in the slot.  Those are the ones Flowers is better suited to match up with and they need as much attn as the WR1 & 2.  WR3 is practically a starter these days.  Often times WR1 or 2 moves into the slot in 3 wide sets, ala Welker.

Flowers is not becomng Javier Arenas.

Flowers salary is an issue regardless of where he plays and will probably be resolved next offseason.

Don't misunderstand. Flowers will still start outside in base sets then move inside on 3/4/5 WR sets. Against a team like DEN, its absolutely the right thing to do. The smaller shiftier guys like Welker are the ones usually in the slot. Those are the ones Flowers is better suited to match up with and they need as much attn as the WR1 & 2. WR3 is practically a starter these days. Often times WR1 or 2 moves into the slot in 3 wide sets, ala Welker.

Flowers is not becomng Javier Arenas.

Flowers salary is an issue regardless of where he plays and will probably be resolved next offseason.

Wow

We agree

I think Chris Owens will be playing in the slot all year long.

I still wish they would give Flowers a look at FS but, I still think they'll cut him if they can't trade him.

Gaines seeing time at FS is not a good sign imo. We drafted the second fastest player in the draft to play CB. They would have to be desperate to waste that speed at FS. Maybe I am over thinking it? Maybe they just want to use him in the role Demps played last year or something?

I still wish they would give Flowers a look at FS but, I still think they'll cut him if they can't trade him.

Gaines seeing time at FS is not a good sign imo. We drafted the second fastest player in the draft to play CB. They would have to be desperate to waste that speed at FS. Maybe I am over thinking it? Maybe they just want to use him in the role Demps played last year or something?

Good point.  If they want to continue using Berry as a nickel LB, they have no one to play Demps' role.  Jerod McMillian is the only other SS on the roster.  Unless they move Abdullah or Commings over.

Speed is what we lack over the top. We need speed back there. Lewis was pulling diesel trailers back there.

Archived