Did Eric Berry play his last game as a member of the Chiefs?

www.arrowheadpride.com

The Kansas City Chiefs season is over at the hands of the Pittsburgh Steelers. The NFL moves quickly and so do we looking ahead to the offseason where the one story line will dominate: Eric Berry.

Berry is under the franchise tag which means he’ll hit free agency in March if the Chiefs don’t tag him again or sign him to a new contract. They tried to sign him last year but they reportedly weren’t close to a deal.

The Chiefs are in a tough spot. Tagging Berry again would be around $13 million. He had an All-Pro season so he has all kinds of leverage here. That’s what makes me nervous. Berry can rightfully ask for a lot of money, more than the Chiefs probably want to pay.

I know I keep saying it but after this season and the impact he had, I can’t imagine him playing elsewhere. Andy Reid called him the leader of the team after the game. This team would be totally different without him. Imagine Marcus Peters without him. Imagine someone else trying to pick this team up at halftime. It would be weird.

The Chiefs will have an opportunity to tag him again in February. We’ll see if they take it.

Maybe Dontari Poe's last game for the Chiefs but I really really hope we re sign Eric Berry.

PS..... Hopefully Albert Wilsons last game

Why the hate for Albert Wilson? I do not understand it.

Dontari Poe will have to sign a very reasonable contract to stay. My opinion is he will want to stay, but money talks. The Chiefs will let the market dictate his worth, and decide if he is worth it.

I do not believe Eric Berry has played his last game for the Chiefs. He will want to stay, and the Chiefs have plenty of reasons to want to keep him.  My guess is his agent will ask even more than what he wanted last season. The Chiefs will franchise him again.

After Sunday’s game one of the first stories we did was to point out that it could have been Eric Berry’s last game as a Chief.

Given everything he’s gone through the past two seasons, this is a big story line.

The two sides couldn’t cut a deal last year and all Berry has done since then is save multiple games and earn first team All-Pro.

“We have to see how that goes,” Reid said when asked if Berry would return. “I think everybody here would love to have Eric back.

We feel he’s a big part of the team and so on. I don’t think that’s different in the front office than it is right here as I’m speaking to you.

You just have to wait those things out and see how it goes. That’s one of those things that’s going to take time to see how it rolls.”

Reid has repeatedly called Berry the team leader. He did the same thing with Justin Houston a couple years ago, remember?

In the locker room after games it would be Houston breaking them down. Berry’s the same way right now.

It was rumored that he was looking for $12 million annually a year ago. That price won’t go down.

My line on this hasn’t changed: I can’t imagine Berry playing elsewhere. These financial implications, however, are real.

After Sunday’s game one of the first stories we did was to point out that it could have been Eric Berry’s last game as a Chief.

Given everything he’s gone through the past two seasons, this is a big story line.

The two sides couldn’t cut a deal last year and all Berry has done since then is save multiple games and earn first team All-Pro.

“We have to see how that goes,” Reid said when asked if Berry would return. “I think everybody here would love to have Eric back.

We feel he’s a big part of the team and so on. I don’t think that’s different in the front office than it is right here as I’m speaking to you.

You just have to wait those things out and see how it goes. That’s one of those things that’s going to take time to see how it rolls.”

Reid has repeatedly called Berry the team leader. He did the same thing with Justin Houston a couple years ago, remember?

In the locker room after games it would be Houston breaking them down. Berry’s the same way right now.

It was rumored that he was looking for $12 million annually a year ago. That price won’t go down.

My line on this hasn’t changed: I can’t imagine Berry playing elsewhere. These financial implications, however, are real.

Being paid over 12 million as an emotional leader. Berry, struggled against Pittsburgh. They made Jesse James look like the next Gronk. He provided no deep coverage on the Brown deep ball. He also was beat on a double move by the TE, made up for it with the INT. I want Berry here in KC. He is the heart beat of the team - but my goodness that's a lot of doe to shell out. In 3 playoff games Berry was virtually a non-factor. Couldn't stop the bleeding against Indi, no where to be seen in NE, and now the Pittsburgh debacle. We need to try to resign him, but it won't be the end of the world if we couldn't. We'll probably franchise him once again. Earl Thomas is the best out there when it comes to a roaming FS. Seattle, took a tremendous downfall when he went out. 

Yeah I keep coming back to the money and thinking it's too much. I remember what a game breaker polamalu was in the playoffs. same with earl Thomas and Ed reed. We just haven't seen that kind of production out of berry in the playoffs. Would love to keep him and should be priority 1, just don't think they can reach a reasonable deal.

I think they will ultimately franchise him again. I do not foresee the Chiefs coming to terms with Berry on a contract. A one year franchise deal would be worth the extra CAP hit, IMO. Berry will be 29 at the  end of the 2017. It is more reasonable to pay a little too much now than to benefit from a slightly less CAP number, but be tied to a contract that they will have to eat later.

Steelers, showed how a young defense can be lethal. Being healthy and young is highly underrated. We're showing signs of age all over the D. Poe, is not his formal self or even close to what he was in 2013, DJ is off and on now may not return, J Houston hasn't played in 2 years in actuality, Hali has dipped off a minute ago, & Berry may not be worth the large contract. I say franchise him. We have Peters and Jones to work with for the next few years - we need to build on them before the injury bug bites before age or the injury bug bites.Definitely need ILB and OLB help - Ford is a situational pass rusher and his run defense presents him very vulnerable on 1st and 2nd down.  We can still win with this core, but we need to mix in some new young talent through the draft. I think we can do it. 

Steelers, showed how a young defense can be lethal. Being healthy and young is highly underrated. We're showing signs of age all over the D. Poe, is not his formal self or even close to what he was in 2013, DJ is off and on now may not return, J Houston hasn't played in 2 years in actuality, Hali has dipped off a minute ago, & Berry may not be worth the large contract. I say franchise him. We have Peters and Jones to work with for the next few years - we need to build on them before the injury bug bites before age or the injury bug bites.Definitely need ILB and OLB help - Ford is a situational pass rusher and his run defense presents him very vulnerable on 1st and 2nd down.  We can still win with this core, but we need to mix in some new young talent through the draft. I think we can do it. 

is Mitchell old?, Soreson? Howard? ..I think the Chiefs are middle of the pack in age 

Harrison is not young..do you have a age "ranking"  for the Steelers D compared to the Chiefs D?

is Mitchell old?, Soreson? Howard? ..I think the Chiefs are middle of the pack in age

Harrison is not young..do you have a age "ranking" for the Steelers D compared to the Chiefs D?

The Steelers were very old and very cold a few years back. They were rolling with Polamalu, Ike Taylor, Casey Hampton, Larry Foote, etc who were all in their 30s easily. They made it a great deal to bring in younger talent like Dupree and Shazier. Harrison, is the only exception he left for Cinci , played an unproductive year and everyone thought his career was over. He reammerged with Pitt as of late. Good for him.

The Steelers were very old and very cold a few years back. They were rolling with Polamalu, Ike Taylor, Casey Hampton, Larry Foote, etc who were all in their 30s easily. They made it a great deal to bring in younger talent like Dupree and Shazier. Harrison, is the only exception he left for Cinci , played an unproductive year and everyone thought his career was over. He reammerged with Pitt as of late. Good for him.

Rapelisberger is the key. As long as he's there. They'll compete for Super Bowls. 

Harrison is not young..do you have a age "ranking" for the Steelers D compared to the Chiefs D?

We are the 4th youngest team in the NFL! 25.4 years old

Harrison, is the only exception he left for Cinci , played an unproductive year and everyone thought his career was over. He reammerged with Pitt as of late. Good for him.

It's amazing how a player can look good or bad solely on the basis of the players surrounding him and the scheme employed. James Harrison is James Harrison.

Archived