Tony Romo Landing Spot: Kansas City Chiefs?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it was said earlier, chargers would never make that trade with a division rival and rivers probably would not want to come here anyway

He wants to stay in California is what we are hearing here. He's super disappointed in the Chargers. In the SF, they are saying he may end up in SF.

Let's not be silly. The Chiefs do not have the CAP space to waste on a veteran QB. Also, both Romo, and Rivers are under contract. A team will have to bid for either one, and that bidding will start with a first round pick for Rivers, and perhaps for Romo too.

It Will Not Happen!

The Chiefs can save CAP money by cutting or trading Alex Smith. However, they do not have what it will take to move up in the draft to draft a decent QB, and this is not a good year for QBs. Also, the current backup did not demonstrate the ability to do better than Smith. In fact, Foles was shown to be much worse. Foles will count $10.75 M against the CAP if he remains on the roster.

The Chiefs may add a QB, but it will not likely be a first round or even second round pick. Unless the Chiefs have been hiding Tyler Bray's talents, they have no alternative but to keep Smith.

My guess is the Chiefs will try to make a deal with Alex Smith that will enable them to reduce the CAP implications next year, and allow them to part with him after two or three seasons. Alex Smith is said to want a lot of money next time around. I don't think he will get it. I think he will ultimately be forced to settle for a CAP friendly extension that will allow for his salary to escalate with incentives or be cut free if things do not work out.

Let's not be silly. The Chiefs do not have the CAP space to waste on a veteran QB. Also, both Romo, and Rivers are under contract. A team will have to bid for either one, and that bidding will start with a first round pick for Rivers, and perhaps for Romo too.

It Will Not Happen!

The Chiefs can save CAP money by cutting or trading Alex Smith. However, they do not have what it will take to move up in the draft to draft a decent QB, and this is not a good year for QBs. Also, the current backup did not demonstrate the ability to do better than Smith. In fact, Foles was shown to be much worse. Foles will count $10.75 M against the CAP if he remains on the roster.

The Chiefs may add a QB, but it will not likely be a first round or even second round pick. Unless the Chiefs have been hiding Tyler Bray's talents, they have no alternative but to keep Smith.

My guess is the Chiefs will try to make a deal with Alex Smith that will enable them to reduce the CAP implications next year, and allow them to part with him after two or three seasons. Alex Smith is said to want a lot of money next time around. I don't think he will get it. I think he will ultimately be forced to settle for a CAP friendly extension that will allow for his salary to escalate with incentives or be cut free if things do not work out.

We know. KC will dink and dunk their way to another "we can beat anyone when everything is perfect season".

10-6

It Will Not Happen!

Where are you getting that "it is said he wants a lot of money next time around"?

This was all about the usual suspects bitching about the Chiefs being non-aggressive about finding a franchise QB in the draft.

The bottom line:  Chiefs are on the right track building a VERY solid roster with tons of young talent that is only going to get better.

Alex Smith or Nick Foles ( I do not see KC Keeping both) will be the starter next year barring a BLOCKBUSTER deal that would be very expensive.

There are no obvious "franchise QB's" in the draft this year so unless the Chiefs take a runner on a couple of guys, the odds of us finding the next Dak Prescott are pretty low.  What should change is the Chiefs QB criteria.  Smart, highly mobile QB's with Big Arms have the most potential vs traditional pocket passers in today's game.

The Chiefs have the potential to repeat 12-4 in 2017. The biggest challenge will be the Raiders....

w

Where are you getting that "it is said he wants a lot of money next time around"?

Could be sour grapes, but a retired player said as much.

Last go round, his agent started the discussion with Cutler's contract as a standard.

Alex's contract negotiations really don't have to start until next year. However, the Chiefs can cut him this year or extend him in order to save CAP money. So, in a way, this could be a contract year for Alex. I know there was a lot on the line for him to do well this season. He did OK. 

This was an up and down season for Smith. With the addition of talent, I expected Smith to throw for 4000 yards this season. If Smith did not get hurt in the Indy game, he may have come closer. Still, he threw for more yards than he has in the past.

Three things derailed Smith. One, his injury. Two, the loss of Parker Ehinger. Three, Jeremy Maclin had his worst season in his career. This third thing may have affected Smith most. Maclin's friend passed, and he was in a funk. Following that, Maclin was injured, but tried to play through it. Maclin had the fewest yards, and fewest yards per game in his career.

Smith could have been absolved of his poorer than expected results, if he only performed better in the playoffs. He normally plays well in the post season. His QBR was only 69.7, which was even lower than the debacle that occurred when they first played Pittsburgh this season.

I think we just wait till the Raiders slap the tag in Carr...I'd give up two 1st rounders and a huge contract for him in a heartbeat

Do you really think the Raiders are going to let go of a franchise QB?   Do you realize how hard they are to go? You are a Chiefs fan so you should. No one is that stupid.   Carr is playing in his home state and all his family is here in Cali.  he's not going anywhere.

This was all about the usual suspects bitching about the Chiefs being non-aggressive about finding a franchise QB in the draft.

The bottom line:  Chiefs are on the right track building a VERY solid roster with tons of young talent that is only going to get better.

Alex Smith or Nick Foles ( I do not see KC Keeping both) will be the starter next year barring a BLOCKBUSTER deal that would be very expensive.

There are no obvious "franchise QB's" in the draft this year so unless the Chiefs take a runner on a couple of guys, the odds of us finding the next Dak Prescott are pretty low.  What should change is the Chiefs QB criteria.  Smart, highly mobile QB's with Big Arms have the most potential vs traditional pocket passers in today's game.

The Chiefs have the potential to repeat 12-4 in 2017. The biggest challenge will be the Raiders....

w

IDK West, have you seen the final 4 QBs.? They are pocket passers that can extend plays with their pocket presence. Rodgers is just another level. I agree that Wilson fits the bill.

w

Swing and a miss

Okay, How about more like Carr....Mobile Guys that have a big arm....

w

Carr is mobile in the pocket and rolling out. Only 70 yards rushing all season. Smart and big arm sounds good. Mobile would be a bonus. Manning, Manning, Flacco, Rapelisberger, Brady, Brees.  All pocket passers that move just well enough inside the pocket and they're Super Bowl champs.  But to your point, it seems that  the colleges are kicking out these read-option QBs so a few years down the road we might not have a choice.

really/ thats where you draw the line with Romo? not with Cassel? not with Alex? not with Bono? no with Brodie Croyle, but Romo? lol

Reading comprehension is well with this one.

Yes. All of those guys suck, too. No more retreads! Draft a quarterback or two every year if you have to. I don't care. Retreads have never gotten us to the dance. At least since Lenny Dawson was here. We have been doing this crap over and over since 1983. Enough.

It Will Not Happen!

You kinda said it yourself...cut/trade Alex and Foles and Romo becomes affordable...don't want him...but just sayin

Reading comprehension is well with this one.

Yes. All of those guys suck, too. No more retreads! Draft a quarterback or two every year if you have to. I don't care. Retreads have never gotten us to the dance. At least since Lenny Dawson was here. We have been doing this crap over and over since 1983. Enough.

i dont want a retread!, but if its Alex or Romo, i choose romo, but not for the reasons you think. My reasoning is because he'sg going to get hurt and the back up whoever the fuck that is will get his shot.

• 2 weeks later...

While I think their is zero percent chance of this happening I do think it's interesting that supposedly 1 of the 4 teams that Romo wants to play for is KC.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/here-are-the-front-runners-to-land-garoppolo-romo-in-nfls-qb-shuffle/

Texans might be a good landing spot for Romo.

Unless Denver upgrades their OL, he won't see week 5.

Cardinals?? Maybe.  Not sure what the hell happened to them this year.

KC?  Same as Denver...dead man walkin'.

Archived