Tony Romo Landing Spot: Kansas City Chiefs?

Texans might be a good landing spot for Romo.

Unless Denver upgrades their OL, he won't see week 5.

Cardinals?? Maybe. Not sure what the hell happened to them this year.

KC? Same as Denver...dead man walkin'.

Texans would make a lot of sense so would the Vikes. But both sunk a lot into crappy QBs last year. Not sure they can. I would guess Denver.

Jets and 49ners could use him, but not sure he wpiuld want to go to a cellar dweller.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My opinion is the Chiefs should find a QB of the F. I like the potential of Pat Mahomes, but I like Josh Allen better. He won't be there for this draft, but probably will be next year.

Would it kill us to trade picks this year to a team to move up next year? If the Chiefs feel they can get a high first round pick in 2018 for the price of their 2017 first round pick, and their 2018 first round pick, then I say do it.

Mahomes may be available for the Chiefs this year, but I doubt it, especially if he performs well at the combine. Even still, I rate Josh Allen better. Allen has huge hands, plays in a cold weather stadium, and throws darts. In fact, he throws too hard. He is mobile, and has prototypical size. Allen has better vision, and is a better play maker.

Have Alex Smith sign an extension of five years. The final two should be throw away years. Included in the extension would be the remaining years of his contract. This would allow the Chiefs to lower his cap amount for 2017, and allow Alex Smith to tutor their next QB the following two seasons.

My opinion is the Chiefs should find a QB of the F. I like the potential of Pat Mahomes, but I like Josh Allen better. He won't be there for this draft, but probably will be next year.

Would it kill us to trade picks this year to a team to move up next year? If the Chiefs feel they can get a high first round pick in 2018 for the price of their 2017 first round pick, and their 2018 first round pick, then I say do it.

Mahomes may be available for the Chiefs this year, but I doubt it, especially if he performs well at the combine. Even still, I rate Josh Allen better. Allen has huge hands, plays in a cold weather stadium, and throws darts. In fact, he throws too hard. He is mobile, and has prototypical size. Allen has better vision, and is a better play maker.

Have Alex Smith sign an extension of five years. The final two should be throw away years. Included in the extension would be the remaining years of his contract. This would allow the Chiefs to lower his cap amount for 2017, and allow Alex Smith to tutor their next QB the following two seasons.

A little preemption here: Smith can teach a lot to a quarterback and that is not just checking down. And that second year, he could even mentor from the bench. Also, there is a lot for a quarterback to learn and catch up on so there is a benefit to wait a while.

The other argument is that our window is now. I understand that we have a talented team, but I also know that we have a good GM who is replacing the big-money guys. Yes, that includes Smith. If he were to replace some Smith with somebody who needed to set a year or two, that is still in line with success. There really isn't anyone that would start day one here. Might as well use this year for him to learn and the following year Smith could either start or not. Or they could draft that Allen kid and let him learn for a year.

I don't know if Smith would sign a contract like that because I think he wants to be free to go to any team he wants if he is released or finishes his contract. I obviously don't mean any team he wants, but I mean to look at his options. I don't think he would want to be in the position he was in when he left the Niners even though it worked out for him.

If he is looking for one more contract, he might be able to get something after playing here a year or two that would either be a better opportunity for him if he's going to be replaced anyway. I don't think he would get much longer than the five (unguaranteed) you were talking about, but as the last three are basically just to help the team and not his career, unless he wants to hang it up later, it doesn't make sense.

In other words, if he is OK retiring as a Chief in the next year too, that five-year deal would look pretty good for him. It would look good for Kansas City because the last three are not actually guaranteed. If he wants to start somewhere, Kansas City or not, I know that this board wouldn't care, but he would care. And he would still be trying to earn another contract that he would be trying to earn the last three and guaranteed years. I don't think he'd be just resigned to being replaced, but one indicates replacement and being at the mercy of the team regarding where he is traded and the other would be a free agent. At that point he would either go somewhere or retire.

A little preemption here: Smith can teach a lot to a quarterback and that is not just checking down. And that second year, he could even mentor from the bench. Also, there is a lot for a quarterback to learn and catch up on so there is a benefit to wait a while.

The other argument is that our window is now. I understand that we have a talented team, but I also know that we have a good GM who is replacing the big-money guys. Yes, that includes Smith. If he were to replace some Smith with somebody who needed to set a year or two, that is still in line with success. There really isn't anyone that would start day one here. Might as well use this year for him to learn and the following year Smith could either start or not. Or they could draft that Allen kid and let him learn for a year.

I don't know if Smith would sign a contract like that because I think he wants to be free to go to any team he wants if he is released or finishes his contract. I obviously don't mean any team he wants, but I mean to look at his options. I don't think he would want to be in the position he was in when he left the Niners even though it worked out for him.

If he is looking for one more contract, he might be able to get something after playing here a year or two that would either be a better opportunity for him if he's going to be replaced anyway. I don't think he would get much longer than the five (unguaranteed) you were talking about, but as the last three are basically just to help the team and not his career, unless he wants to hang it up later, it doesn't make sense.

In other words, if he is OK retiring as a Chief in the next year too, that five-year deal would look pretty good for him. It would look good for Kansas City because the last three are not actually guaranteed. If he wants to start somewhere, Kansas City or not, I know that this board wouldn't care, but he would care. And he would still be trying to earn another contract that he would be trying to earn the last three and guaranteed years. I don't think he'd be just resigned to being replaced, but one indicates replacement and being at the mercy of the team regarding where he is traded and the other would be a free agent. At that point he would either go somewhere or retire.

Alex Smith is not Brett Favre. However, he is a team player, and he is gifted. I just do not see anyone in the draft this year the Chiefs will be able to use to replace Alex Smith right away. Even those who are likely to be drafted ahead of the Chiefs' pick do not seem ready to start right away. If the time is now, then you don't waste that time on a new untested player. A has been, who does not seem to fit the system (enter Romo's name here) does not seem to be the answer either.

Alex Smith's contract:

Year

Age Base Salary Signing Bonus Roster Bonus Workout Bonus Cap Hit Dead Cap

2014 kansascity.png 29 $1,000,000 $3,600,000 - - $4,600,000 $30,000,000

2015 kansascity.png 30 $11,900,000 $3,600,000 - $100,000 $15,600,000 $40,500,000

2016 kansascity.png 31 $14,100,000 $3,600,000 - $100,000 $17,800,000 $25,000,000

2017 kansascity.png 32 $10,800,000 $3,600,000 $2,000,000 $500,000 $16,900,000 $7,200,000

2018 kansascity.png 33 $14,500,000 $3,600,000 $2,000,000 $500,000 $20,600,000 $3,600,000

2019 kansascity.png 34 UFA

Reworking Smith's contract to add three more does several things. First, it can provide an additional $6 M to the cap in 2017. Perhaps that can be used to keep Eric Berry. It will be fairly neutral the following season, but may even provide some cap relief then too. It secures Smith for a third, and maybe even a fourth season, should the replacement need time to develop on the bench. It will enable the Chiefs to drop Smith during the final year, trade him, or perhaps even keep him, if things do not work out.

In my view, the Chiefs should consider trading their first round pick this season to one of the bottom teams in the draft. The Rams do not currently have a first round pick. They may want to trade the future in order to get something now. Trade the first round pick this year, and the first round pick next year for a chance to get a high first round pick in 2018.

The Rams, Browns, Jags, Bears, 49ers, and maybe a few others too, may be willing to listen. I'd throw the dice, and see if the luck changes. The Chiefs are not likely going to get a QB this year with any chance of making a difference. 2018 is a much better year for selecting a QB. Makes sense to me, but it would take a lot of guts for Dorsey.

2017 draft

Rd 1 trade for a future selection in 2018

Rd 2 Forrest Lamp - LG/LT

Rd 3 Montavius Adams - NT

Rd 3 Comp #8 Kendell Beckwith - ILB Strong Side

Rd 4 Daeshon Hall OLB

Rd 5 Adam Shaheen - TE

Rd 5 Comp #21 Marlon Mack RB

Rd 6 Jon Toth C/G

Rd 6 Comp #27 Michael Roberts TE

Rd 6 Comp #29 Jor Mathis OLB

Rd 7 Dylan Cole - OLB

2018 draft

Rd 1 (trade with Rams, Jags, Browns, or 49ers - 2017 and 2018 Rd)

Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, or Josh Rosen  to be the QB of the F

2017 draft

Rd 1 trade for a future selection in 2018

Rd 2 Forrest Lamp - LG/LT

Rd 3 Montavius Adams - NT

Rd 3 Comp #8 Kendell Beckwith - ILB Strong Side

Rd 4 Daeshon Hall OLB

Rd 5 Adam Shaheen - TE

Rd 5 Comp #21 Marlon Mack RB

Rd 6 Jon Toth C/G

Rd 6 Comp #27 Michael Roberts TE

Rd 6 Comp #29 Jor Mathis OLB

Rd 7 Dylan Cole - OLB

2018 draft

Rd 1 (trade with Rams, Jags, Browns, or 49ers - 2017 and 2018 Rd)

Josh Allen, Sam Darnold, or Josh Rosen  to be the QB of the F

No way Marlon Mack gets out of the 3rd round.

I would be hesitant to trade firsts with a bad team hoping to get a QB in 2018. They could turn around a go 10-6 thus year.

We have a young team, but cap issues. Letting Poe and Berry walk would fix that. It is tempting. If it means we can build a dominate O line, we will be significantly better. But having money and quality FAs being available are two different things.

I would pick between Foles and Smith and let one go. I wouldn't extend Smith yet. Let 2017 be a make or break Year if you chose Smith.

Bottom line to me is, if you can't run the ball and you can't stop the run, that is a bigger problem than Smith.

No way Marlon Mack gets out of the 3rd round.

His production is there, but he is not fast. I believe he will run 4.6 in the 40, which may push his value down. At 205 lbs, one would anticipate his 40 time should be 4.4. You may be right. He might go earlier.

That's a terrible idea.

It is a bad idea if the Chiefs are unable to pick up one of the three first round QBs next year. Next year is a better QB draft, according to most experts. There are three who are already regarded better than what is out there now.  There is some sentiment that the NC, Trubisky, is better, but he has a lower ceiling, and might not go above Deshone Kizer. You are entitled to your opinion, and you could be right.

its a great fucking idea, if the CHiefs draft a QB in the draft they are serious about. If they think they have a franchise QB. Romo would be a  fucking awesome pick up. If they do NOT draft a QB they want to groom to be the guy for the next 10-15 years, then its a horrible idea.

Archived