Something Has To Change

The Chiefs....along with all the other teams in the NFL(or at least the AFC), need to get their crap together.  I just saw a graphic on espn talking about the Patriots 9th superbowl appearance, breaking a tie with the Steelers, Cowboys, and broncos for most in NFL history.  What disturbed me is that three of these teams are AFC teams.  That means that THREE TEAMS account for 25 of 51 AFC representatives.  This is absolutely pathetic considering there are 16 teams.  This is why ratings are down.  This is why people aren't as interested.  Nobody wants to watch the same crap over and over and over again.    Revolving theme among these teams?  Elite QBs throughout their history(at least recent history with new England).  Lets just draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round EVERY year moving forward until something sticks...tired...just tired...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are forgetting one MAJOR element here:  Tom Brady

If you remove Tom Brady from Belichick he has ZERO Super Bowl wins.  Tom Brady is one of the all-time great QBs and he sets the tempo for every game the Patriots play.  No doubt the Belicheat is a great HC and talent evaluater, but the reason the Patriots keeping winning is Tom Brady.  We will see how this goes after he retires or age catches up to him, which will happen very soon.

You are forgetting one MAJOR element here:  Tom Brady

If you remove Tom Brady from Belichick he has ZERO Super Bowl wins.  Tom Brady is one of the all-time great QBs and he sets the tempo for every game the Patriots play.  No doubt the Belicheat is a great HC and talent evaluater, but the reason the Patriots keeping winning is Tom Brady.  We will see how this goes after he retires or age catches up to him, which will happen very soon.

Yep. Belicheat was 5-11 in his 4th year at CLE. Not his 1st year, his 4th.

Yep. Belicheat was 5-11 in his 4th year at CLE. Not his 1st year, his 4th.

Yeah but that was the year that they knew the Browns were moving. I watched the documentary about that when I had the NFL Network. That had to have some effect on their play. 

The best coaches IMO are the ones who teach, and are very detailed. I haven't watched anything about Reid to know if he's like that.  I've watched Belichick, Parcells, Marty, Jimmy Johnson, and Vermeil to an extent. They all seemed very detailed.

I used to think Marty Schottenheimer was just a yeller and motivator until I watched a film of him coaching. It was awesome and made me realize there is much more to it.

Everyone loves Belichick so I've seen several films and highlights of him coaching. What I noticed about him is he doesn't let up, and makes sure the guy is understanding what he's saying.  I agree with Bstud about Brady being a big factor. 

Lets just draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round EVERY year moving forward until something sticks...tired...just tired...

The Chiefs could have traded up to pick Paxton Lynch, instead of down for Chris Jones.

The Chiefs could have reached for Garrett Grayson instead of taking Mitch Morse.

The Chiefs could have taken Teddy Bridgewater instead of Dee Ford.

The Chiefs could have taken E.J. Manuel instead of Eric Fisher.

The Chiefs could have traded up to take Ryan Tannehill instead of taking Dontari Poe, or as an alternative they could have reached for Brandon Weeden. A second alternative involves taking Brock Osweiler instead of Jeff Allen.

The Chiefs could have taken Andy Dalton instead of Jonathan Baldwin.

By the time the Chiefs were finished stocking the pond with quarterbacks, they would have had no offensive line or defensive line to speak of.

The Chiefs could have traded up to pick Paxton Lynch, instead of down for Chris Jones.

The Chiefs could have reached for Garrett Grayson instead of taking Mitch Morse.

The Chiefs could have taken Teddy Bridgewater instead of Dee Ford.

The Chiefs could have taken E.J. Manuel instead of Eric Fisher.

The Chiefs could have traded up to take Ryan Tannehill instead of taking Dontari Poe, or as an alternative they could have reached for Brandon Weeden. A second alternative involves taking Brock Osweiler instead of Jeff Allen.

The Chiefs could have taken Andy Dalton instead of Jonathan Baldwin.

By the time the Chiefs were finished stocking the pond with quarterbacks, they would have had no offensive line or defensive line to speak of.

Following my logic of drafting until we hit...we would have stopped at Dalton for Baldwin...

There's also the misses...like kevari Russell instead of Dak Prescott. Or Russell Wilson instead of Donald Stephenson...

Following my logic of drafting until we hit...we would have stopped at Dalton for Baldwin...

There's also the misses...like kevari Russell instead of Dak Prescott. Or Russell Wilson instead of Donald Stephenson...

Wow... how many playoff games would the Chiefs have won with Andy Dalton? He's a poor man's Alex Smith. Once Dalton didn't have weapons to run through the secondary (A.J. Green and Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones), he didn't do much at all on offense. His numbers weren't as good as Alex Smith, although Smith had a higher turnover rate this year.

I'm curious: How would you feel about the Chiefs' character if they had taken a guy with a DUI arrest* in addition to Tyreek Hill?

* About his arrest, which ultimately resulted in a non guilty verdict, Prescott said, "I'm very remorseful for my misjudgment."

Wow... how many playoff games would the Chiefs have won with Andy Dalton? He's a poor man's Alex Smith. Once Dalton didn't have weapons to run through the secondary (A.J. Green and Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones), he didn't do much at all on offense. His numbers weren't as good as Alex Smith, although Smith had a higher turnover rate this year.

I'm curious: How would you feel about the Chiefs' character if they had taken a guy with a DUI arrest* in addition to Tyreek Hill?

* About his arrest, which ultimately resulted in a non guilty verdict, Prescott said, "I'm very remorseful for my misjudgment."

Poor mans Alex smith? I would argue Alex smith is a poor mans Andy dalton...let's look at this year's stats(while considering dalton is still young and growing while Alex has Plateaued)

Yards: Dalton had 704 more pass yards

TD: Dalton had 4 more(in his lowest career total btw)

Int: Dalton had only one more, with 74 more pass attempts

Rushing yards: Dalton had 18 more yards with 4 fewer attempts

Fun fact...Alex smith has 15 more career TDs than Dalton...but has played in 43 more games....but yeah...poor mans Alex Smith.

Poor mans Alex smith? I would argue Alex smith is a poor mans Andy dalton...let's look at this year's stats(while considering dalton is still young and growing while Alex has Plateaued)

Yards: Dalton had 704 more pass yards

TD: Dalton had 4 more(in his lowest career total btw)

Int: Dalton had only one more, with 74 more pass attempts

Rushing yards: Dalton had 18 more yards with 4 fewer attempts

Fun fact...Alex smith has 15 more career TDs than Dalton...but has played in 43 more games....but yeah...poor mans Alex Smith.

Only one problem: Andy Dalton sure had a lot of garbage time this year. Alex Smith had all of one game that involved garbage time.

Andy Dalton is not a great quarterback. He's OK. He was surrounded by a ton of talent until this past season, and although the team made the playoffs every year, Dalton played some of his worst games of the season in week 18. Then the defense isn't what it was, and Dalton disappears entirely.

Andy Dalton's career arc is much like Colin Kaepernick's: He was signed to play for a quality team, the team has carried him for a time, and then finally the team began to decline, and Dalton went right down with it. Dalton's a much better quarterback than Kaepernick, but he didn't show much upside when he was lacking top-end talent at the receiving and offensive line positions.

Only one problem: Andy Dalton sure had a lot of garbage time this year. Alex Smith had all of one game that involved garbage time.

Andy Dalton is not a great quarterback. He's OK. He was surrounded by a ton of talent until this past season, and although the team made the playoffs every year, Dalton played some of his worst games of the season in week 18. Then the defense isn't what it was, and Dalton disappears entirely.

Andy Dalton's career arc is much like Colin Kaepernick's: He was signed to play for a quality team, the team has carried him for a time, and then finally the team began to decline, and Dalton went right down with it. Dalton's a much better quarterback than Kaepernick, but he didn't show much upside when he was lacking top-end talent at the receiving and offensive line positions.

It's gonna be an agree to disagree here...you take Andy Daltons worst season in virtually any stat and compare it to Alex smiths best season in the same category. Not much difference...it's basically saying that statistically Daltons floor is right in line with Alex's ceiling.

It's gonna be an agree to disagree here...you take Andy Daltons worst season in virtually any stat and compare it to Alex smiths best season in the same category. Not much difference...it's basically saying that statistically Daltons floor is right in line with Alex's ceiling.

Yes sir

"Stat". This is your problem. Look past the numbers. Look for a quarterback that makes the whole better than the sum of its parts. Smith is that. Dalton is not.

Stop using the calculator. Start using your eyes. Watch a complete Dalton game. Then watch a Smith game. Then make a decision. But the math stuff is irrelevant.

I never said Dalton was the answer.  I'm just saying we could have been sitting here with two extra picks in the draft and about 12 million in extra cap space had we sacked up and started drafting QBOTFs instead of retreads...  My whole argument was supporting to just go out and draft until you hit and that in the first year I looked at we could have done that instead of the bust of Baldwin.  But there has to be something said for coaching as well.  Arguably, Reid and his staff probably could get more out of Dalton than the Bengals.  Again...I know Dalton isn't elite, but under Reid, with the right style of offense...maybe he could be...

Reid and Dorsey ARE pretty big change...

The franchise was a laughingstock under Herm Edwards and Todd Haley.

Let's not even get into Scott Pioli.

I just can't put my head around all this panic talk as the team just went 12-4.

Do they need to be better, yes.  Are they on the right track...YES as well.

w

Reid and Dorsey ARE pretty big change...

The franchise was a laughingstock under Herm Edwards and Todd Haley.

Let's not even get into Scott Pioli.

I just can't put my head around all this panic talk as the team just went 12-4.

Do they need to be better, yes.  Are they on the right track...YES as well.

w

Regular season heroes. Fold like a lawn chair in the playoffs. 4 full years. Many said give them 3 years. We're going in to year 5. If you're ok with 12-4 with a one and done in the playoffs then it was a very successful season. BTW....no panic here, I expected it. I don't think a new ILB and a new O lineman will put us over the top next tear. Status quo will reap the same results.   

I never said Dalton was the answer.  I'm just saying we could have been sitting here with two extra picks in the draft and about 12 million in extra cap space had we sacked up and started drafting QBOTFs instead of retreads...  My whole argument was supporting to just go out and draft until you hit and that in the first year I looked at we could have done that instead of the bust of Baldwin.  But there has to be something said for coaching as well.  Arguably, Reid and his staff probably could get more out of Dalton than the Bengals.  Again...I know Dalton isn't elite, but under Reid, with the right style of offense...maybe he could be...

So you're OK with being a fan for a team that wouldn't have contended in the post season? Because that's the likely reality of the 2012-2016 seasons with a "Quarterback of the Future" anything like most of the quarterbacks to come into the NFL. Including Andy Dalton. If in place of Matt Cassel Andy Dalton had been throwing to Dwayne Bowe as opposed to A.J. Green, the Chiefs wouldn't have been significantly better off, and possibly could have been worse. Again, when has Andy Dalton done anything to distinguish himself from other league quarterbacks when it comes to the true measures of a quarterback, and not statistical accumulations that say nothing about a quarterback's actual ability?

Regular season heroes. Fold like a lawn chair in the playoffs. 4 full years. Many said give them 3 years. We're going in to year 5. If you're ok with 12-4 with a one and done in the playoffs then it was a very successful season. BTW....no panic here, I expected it. I don't think a new ILB and a new O lineman will put us over the top next tear. Status quo will reap the same results.

It's all about the qb.

Although, andys gameplans and playcalling are not impressive.

That's a lot of baseless projecting.

A young QB can win in this league and a mediocre Foles (and Chase Daniel) have shown they can win without Alex.

The Chargers and the Jaguars? Is anyone here supposed to be impressed?

Young quarterbacks with great teams thrive (see Dak Prescott). Young quarterbacks with terrible teams struggle (see Cody Kessler).

Archived