Something Has To Change

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the motto is re-sign Berry at all costs, but they can't let that make themselves hostages on his conquest to get paid like a top tier CB.

The Chiefs will have to draw the line somewhere, and I don't think Berry has any interest in signing an appropriate deal.

I wouldn't go that far but at $11 mil a year for 5 years with about 25 Mil of that guaranteed would make him the #1 paid Safety in the league. Thats just off the top of my head but if the Chiefs offer #1 salary and he scoffs..let him walk.... Pigs get fat Hogs get slaughtered

Bottom line is if the Chiefs want to get better for next year we need to improve up front. Running the ball and stopping the run. It doesn't matter who carries the ball if the line isn't opening up holes. The best game we played all year was the Raiders game IMO. We dominated the trenches. Unfortunately, after the Indi game in week 8 Ehinger was placed on IR and Ware and Smith both suffered concussions. Ware, wasn't the same ever since. Both are running game and run defense fell apart after that. Absolutely, cannot win in the playoffs without winning in the trenches.

Now I'm all for drafting a MLB/OLB help. IMO Mauga or Wilson can start, but we cannot be sure DJ will be back to full speed. He says he will be back for training camp. Eric Berry, needs to be retained but at what cost? We need to get younger at the safety position. I think Mitchell's a lock at #2. The return of Bailey and Howard will greatly help up front.

On offense LG will be greatly improved with the return of trash-tat Ehinger. If you watch the tape Fisher is absolutely a better player with E next to him. Not so much, Fulton. Every offensive line needs those Incognitos and he's one of them lol. Our other small weakness would probably be the #2 TE. Harris, is a good run blocker but inconsistent as a pass catcher. We need a better route runner catching passes at that position behind Kelce. Smith loves his TEs no reason to draft a WR. We hardly use them anyways.

I wouldn't go that far but at $11 mil a year for 5 years with about 25 Mil of that guaranteed would make him the #1 paid Safety in the league. Thats just off the top of my head but if the Chiefs offer #1 salary and he scoffs..let him walk.... Pigs get fat Hogs get slaughtered

The highest paid safety figure is a bit misleading, since Matthieu also plays a lot of CB and is more of a hybrid.  Alas, he's the top figure at 12.5/avg per year with 30 guaranteed and Berry is looking for a figure that's more than that.

No way I'd pay him 13 on avg per year.  If the Chiefs don't start drawing a line somewhere, than they have no shot in hell at locking down Marcus Peters in a long-term deal in a few years.

The highest paid safety figure is a bit misleading, since Matthieu also plays a lot of CB and is more of a hybrid.  Alas, he's the top figure at 12.5/avg per year with 30 guaranteed and Berry is looking for a figure that's more than that.

No way I'd pay him 13 on avg per year.  If the Chiefs don't start drawing a line somewhere, than they have no shot in hell at locking down Marcus Peters in a long-term deal in a few years.

I wouldn't pay him 13 mil either and if he is truly asking that much I wouldn't waste my time. I for one have not heard/read any credible claims that he wants that much

From a former agent that now writes for cbssports

Joel Corry @corryjoel

Joel Corry Retweeted Richard Dunfield

Becoming NFL's highest paid safety is probably Eric Berry's objective. That means more than $12.5M avg & overall guarantees exceeding $30M.

Now it's an estimate, but I've heard that the Chiefs offered a fairly competitive deal last summer and his agent is looking for the best deal.

Injuries are a tough part of the game especially when you lose one or two or three of the best in the game at their positions. What are we supposed to do, not pay to keep elite players because they might get hurt. Hard to pay them when we are not getting production from them while they are injured.  It's equally difficult to pay someone that is playing but we're not getting production from them on the field. 

Never pay anyone as if they are best at their position. You can always get better production per dollar out of two complementary players that are of sufficient skill, and your exposure to injury is also reduced. I would draw that line at the quarterback position as well, within reason.

The PR Damage to the chiefs if they were to cut houston and not attempt to resign berry would doom us more than having

them on the roster. the signal it would send to FA's and agents would make us worse than the browns. nobody would sign with

the chiefs

'Not attempting to re-sign Berry' is subjective. Of course they tried to re-sign him. The problem is that Berry believes he is the best safety in the game. He's one of the better safeties in the league whose value-to-cost ratio recommends Selling, not Buying.

At least the Chiefs have a playoff roster, even without Berry or Houston. No one even knows what the Browns are yet.

Houston may return to his former self, or he could become a decent (not great) player in the future. If his repaired knee does not allow him to be an effective edge rush OLB. Houston became a complete OLB before the injury. So, he still has value, even if he never comes back to his former standard.

Houston wasn't worth $20 million against the cap when he was something like the best OLB in football. His contract is unsustainable if his production doesn't quintuple.

Never pay anyone as if they are best at their position. You can always get better production per dollar out of two complementary players that are of sufficient skill, and your exposure to injury is also reduced. I would draw that line at the quarterback position as well, within reason.

*Yawn*

Tom Brady has repeatedly restructured his contract, and given up money in order to provide his team with more money to spend on talent. It has worked for him. Brady was rewarded. In return for his willingness to turn down top pay, the Patriots have provided him with pass protection, and quality receivers. Brady, who will turn 40 in August, has not slowed down.

http://overthecap.com/player/tom-brady/1250/

Tom Brady has basically been a $13 M cap cost ever since 2006. In fact, Matt Cassel was franchised prior to the 2009 season, and his salary was oddly equal ($13.1M) to Tom Brady, prior to being traded to Kansas City.

Compare Tom Brady's current contract with Alex Smith's contract. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/alex-smith-3337/

Smith reworked his contract to assist the Chiefs, but still counted $4,035,294 more against the cap than Super Bowl winner, Tom Brady. Tom Brady will count $14 M against the Patriot's cap in 2017, while Smith counts $16.9 M against KC's cap. The following year, Alex Smith's contract blows up to $20.6 M, while Brady's contract is projected to reach $22 M. However, this has already happened once before. In 2013, Brady signed a six year $91 M contract, with $28 M in signing bonus. Brady's contract was due to expire in 2018. However, he signed a two year extension in 2016, which enabled the Patriots to keep his cap number at $13-$14 M for two more seasons. For this, Brady was given another $28 M in signing bonus. It is likely Brady will do the same thing in 2018 before his contract becomes a problem.

My opinion is Alex Smith is a decent quarterback. He is likely due a fair contract. He is not worth making $7 - 9 M more against their cap than Tom Brady. If Alex Smith wants to stay in KC, where he has had a chance to succeed, he must be willing to help the Chiefs find room to sign other players.

Tom Brady has repeatedly restructured his contract, and given up money in order to provide his team with more money to spend on talent. It has worked for him. Brady was rewarded. In return for his willingness to turn down top pay, the Patriots have provided him with pass protection, and quality receivers. Brady, who will turn 40 in August, has not slowed down.

Tom Brady has basically been a $13 M cap cost ever since 2006. In fact, Matt Cassel was franchised prior to the 2009 season, and his salary was oddly equal ($13.1M) to Tom Brady, prior to being traded to Kansas City.

Compare Tom Brady's current contract with Alex Smith's contract. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/alex-smith-3337/

Smith reworked his contract to assist the Chiefs, but still counted $4,035,294 more against the cap than Super Bowl winner, Tom Brady. Tom Brady will count $14 M against the Patriot's cap in 2017, while Smith counts $16.9 M against KC's cap. The following year, Alex Smith's contract blows up to $20.6 M, while Brady's contract is projected to reach $22 M. However, this has already happened once before. In 2013, Brady signed a six year $91 M contract, with $28 M in signing bonus. Brady's contract was due to expire in 2018. However, he signed a two year extension in 2016, which enabled the Patriots to keep his cap number at $13-$14 M for two more seasons. For this, Brady was given another $28 M in signing bonus. It is likely Brady will do the same thing in 2018 before his contract becomes a problem.

My opinion is Alex Smith is a decent quarterback. He is likely due a fair contract. He is not worth making $7 - 9 M more against their cap than Tom Brady. If Alex Smith wants to stay in KC, where he has had a chance to succeed, he must be willing to help the Chiefs find room to sign other players.

All fair points and I hope he does help us out, but must note that Smith's salary was 21st or 22nd in the league for contract average. Now that the last two years are higher, I hope he helps us out.

Apples to Apples, this was not a fair comparison of the two quarterbacks' contracts. You restricted the comparison to each of the quarterbacks' cap hit in a specific year. Based on cash commitments, Brady has been paid $20 million more than Smith during the past four years, $5 million more per year.

Brady has taken less than market value for his contracts, but it's not like Smith has been above market value at any point since his rookie contract was renegotiated.

Archived