Teicher On Chiefs' Free Agents....

Chiefs rarely lose their own free agents that they really want back

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Chiefs face a challenge in retaining both of their top potential unrestricted free agents, safety Eric Berry and defensive lineman Dontari Poe. But keep this in mind as they move toward the start of the free-agent signing period in March: The Chiefs under general manager John Dorsey haven’t lost many of the players they genuinely tried to keep.

This goes back to 2013, Dorsey’s first season with the Chiefs. Their biggest-money internal free-agent targets were wide receiver Dwayne Bowe and tackle Branden Albert. The Chiefs kept them both by signing Bowe to a long-term deal they soon regretted and making Albert their franchise player.

That’s the way it’s generally gone for the Chiefs with regard to their own free agents since. They’ve usually found a way to keep them if they’ve really wanted them. Last year, with an extensive list of free agents, the Chiefs retained some (Berry, Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali and Jaye Howard among the biggest of names) and didn’t pitch hard to retain some of the others (including Sean Smith, Jeff Allen and Donald Stephenson).

The only major free agent the Chiefs lost that they waged a heated battle to keep was center Rodney Hudson, who two years ago signed instead with the Oakland Raiders

So look for the Chiefs to find a way (and the money) to keep Berry and Poe, if that’s what they want to do.

The Chiefs have only four other potential unrestricted free agents: running back Knile Davis, defensive linemen Kendall Reyes and Jarvis Jenkins and offensive lineman Mike Person. While the Chiefs could bring any or all of those players back, they wouldn’t be a priority. The Chiefs traded Davis last year and later brought him back, though he hardly played. The others were backups who joined the Chiefs during last season.

The Chiefs have an interesting list of potential restricted free agents: kicker Cairo Santos, safety Daniel Sorensen and wide receiver Albert Wilson. Each joined the Chiefs as an undrafted rookie in 2014.

I have mixed feelings. Poe is a non-premium player at a premium position. Berry is a premium player at a non-premium position.

The reason I would prefer Berry is because I think he has a better chance of playing the next 4 years at a high level.

I would be sad, but would understand if they let both walk. They are neither worth 12 mill a year. Berry just brings so much heart to the locker room.

Archived