EB would like to stay in KC

Safety Eric Berry wants to remain a member of the Chiefs, and he won’t play in Sunday’s Pro Bowl.

At an event at Mission Trail Middle School in Olathe, Berry said his agent had a conversation with the Chiefs earlier this week and his desire is to remain in Kansas City.“I hope so,” Berry said. “I think my agent had a conversation yesterday … It’s early.”

Berry made $10.8 million as the Chiefs’ franchise player last season. If the Chiefs don’t sign him to a long-term contract and place the franchise tag on him again, he’ll cost about $13 million in 2017.

Berry, 28, is coming off perhaps the best of his seven NFL seasons. He returned interceptions for touchdowns at Carolina and Atlanta, plus a two-point defensive conversion to provide the winning points against the Falcons.

Teammates cite the value of his strong locker room presence and leadership role, not that coach Andy Reid needed reminding.

“I think everybody here would love to have Eric back,” Reid said last week after the Chiefs were eliminated in the playoffs. “We feel he’s a big part of the team. I don’t think that’s different in the front office …“You just have to wait those things out and see how it goes.”

Berry said he declined an opportunity to play in the Pro Bowl in Orlando, Fla., but it wasn’t because of the threat of injury.

“I’ve been through a lot, so I’m not scared really of injury,” said Berry, who missed the final five games of the 2014 season while battling Hodgkin lymphoma. “I just need time to reflect.

“I just had a chance to visit my aunt, who is battling (breast) cancer. It’s just more of a life thing and a family thing.”

Berry, who was selected for his fifth Pro Bowl, will be replaced by the Broncos’ Darian Stewart.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article128793324.html#storylink=cpy

We did this last year.

If Eric Berry really wants to stay, he won't try to fleece the team with his next contract. If the Chiefs want to win a Super Bowl, they won't divert money to Berry that could pay for a safety bringing better value and also bring in better depth at inside linebacker and offensive line.

I don't know if he stays or not. He likes us and we like him so I could see him taking a small hometown discount and us over paying a little. Hard to imagine that gap going to zero. It will likely be the Chiefs who cave rather than Berry. We shall see. His play on the field is replaceable.

They could work something with 10 to 12 mil and just put some funny money on the back end with nltbe incentives. That's one way to make him the highest paid safety and still retain flexibility with the cap. Alex didn't want that kind of contract but a lot of guys are ok with it. Get something done. Let Poe walk and get the free pick for him next year. Draft his replacement.

They could work something with 10 to 12 mil and just put some funny money on the back end with nltbe incentives. That's one way to make him the highest paid safety and still retain flexibility with the cap. Alex didn't want that kind of contract but a lot of guys are ok with it. Get something done. Let Poe walk and get the free pick for him next year. Draft his replacement.

Agree with letting Poe walk unless he signs a very team friendly contract.  He didn't dominate this season and his market value has probably gone down.  Berry is vital to the team, but the Chiefs can't just open the checkbook without limits.  They need to replace DJ and JC and can't spend all the cap on EB.

I would not switch yo a 4-3, but I would consider an extension for Howard. His value is down a little right now.

Poe will likely never be the same. Berry is 28. Between the 2 I would take Berry, but he is not the best safety in the league. I don't think anyone would make that claim.

Both SB teams have a 4-3 defense, the Patriots used to be a 3-4 defense and went away from it, I think the Chiefs should do the same.

I don't think you neee to commit to either. If you adjust in game there should be some of both.

Both SB teams have a 4-3 defense, the Patriots used to be a 3-4 defense and went away from it, I think the Chiefs should do the same.

Nope. Those teams did not exactly ride those defenses to the superbowl.

The 34 has shown to be more versatile and with fewer treats using it its somewhat easier to find good players that fit your system. Overall the 34 has been good for kc.

I like EB  I wish him to stay. He deserves what he is asking...no more. I don't see him declining in the next 3-4 years. I dont see anyone else paying outrageously for him  unless they  got cap space out the wazzoo ..Browns?. I duno and I'm just talking me. but I couldn't play on a team that sucks and looks to suck for the next 2-3 years..just for another 2-3 mil. yea I now but after 10 mil ..WTF? your set. The Town loves him . he loves the team.. I think he does the home town discount and everything works out fine.

Wouldn't surprise me if Horse Face did something like this in an effort to put together a dominant Super Bowl winning defense. Meanwhile we discuss value and getting a guy who is almost as good at much less money. They've been to couple of Super Bowl recently and won one. But hey, we beat Houston in a wild card game.

Archived