Alex Smith will be the Chiefs’ QB in 2017, but he knows the pressure is on

Alex Smith out of all the play off teams qb's and future play off teams QB's, probably has the least amount of pressure on him. NO one expects him to do much. They all expect alex to dink and dunk and not fuck the game up. He's made alot of money, he's heading into his mid 30's.  Alex has it fucking made.   I dont see where the pressure is on a large scale.

There isn't really any. The media in KC is super soft and fan expectations aren't very high.

So yeah, you would be correct.

Depends on how you define pressure. I'm sure he has a lot of pressure on himself. He is competitive and while he's not aggressive, he sure does have pressure to win.

He wants to start, he wants to win, but where he is relieved of pressure is that he doesn't care how he does it. As his career gets later and later, there is more pressure built because the things he could rely on like mobility and athleticism goes away and you have to make it up by changing your game or accept your career ending and that has to be pressure for anybody.

He has no pressure to produce 4000 yard seasons. He has no pressure to have 30 touchdowns. But he has pressure to keep the starting job and he has pressure to win games. We haven't advanced as far as we want to in the playoffs and that builds pressure. And he doesn't have those stats to fall back on to act like he is having no help.

The public pressure to remove the guy may be determined as soft, but that doesn't mean he's out there having it made.

The public pressure to remove the guy may be determined as soft, but that doesn't mean he's out there having it made.

Smith gets little love from the media, and it's not like there's a ton of guys speaking up for him. It takes less work/effort/football IQ to point at a Tom Brady or Peyton Manning and say, 'That's what a quarterback should look like,' never mind the fact that both of those quarterbacks had some excellent teams behind them.

The fans echo the media. The media dictates fan approval. Gregg Rosenthal (who almost never has had anything good to say about Smith) just wrote an article on nfl.com recommending that the Chiefs unload Smith. Then again, Rosenthal praised Kaepernick early on, which shows anyone with a brain what Rosenthal knows about quarterbacks.

Depends on how you define pressure. I'm sure he has a lot of pressure on himself. He is competitive and while he's not aggressive, he sure does have pressure to win.

He wants to start, he wants to win, but where he is relieved of pressure is that he doesn't care how he does it. As his career gets later and later, there is more pressure built because the things he could rely on like mobility and athleticism goes away and you have to make it up by changing your game or accept your career ending and that has to be pressure for anybody.

He has no pressure to produce 4000 yard seasons. He has no pressure to have 30 touchdowns. But he has pressure to keep the starting job and he has pressure to win games. We haven't advanced as far as we want to in the playoffs and that builds pressure. And he doesn't have those stats to fall back on to act like he is having no help.

I don't think anybody expects Alex to go out and carry a team. Just don't lose it. That's his pressure. Pressure is on the defense to allow 16-18 points or less. Without Peters and Berry winning games and Hill's explosives runs and returns, this offense is very average. Def. Coordinators aren't losing any sleep over our offense. Sounds like AA will be back at QB next year. We really need to load up on the D side. Offense will remain average regardless of who we bring in on the offensive side. I'm ready to field a once in a generation D. 

I don't think anybody expects Alex to go out and carry a team. Just don't lose it. That's his pressure. Pressure is on the defense to allow 16-18 points or less. Without Peters and Berry winning games and Hill's explosives runs and returns, this offense is very average. Def. Coordinators aren't losing any sleep over our offense. Sounds like AA will be back at QB next year. We really need to load up on the D side. Offense will remain average regardless of who we bring in on the offensive side. I'm ready to field a once in a generation D.

That's not the pressure I'm talking about. I think the pressure to put big numbers to carry the team statistically is different then the pressure to win and win now or lose your job. Smith has no interest in leading statistics. He wants to improve third downs and red zones which we have dipped this year. He's interested in winning a SB, which we haven't with him or others for decades.

That's not the pressure I'm talking about. I think the pressure to put big numbers to carry the team statistically is different then the pressure to win and win now or lose your job. Smith has no interest in leading statistics. He wants to improve third downs and red zones which we have dipped this year. He's interested in winning a SB, which we haven't with him or others for decades.

Smith isn't capable of big numbers. Doesn't have the vision, the arm or the pocket presence. Stats just happen when you have these tools whether he's interested in them or not. All I want is a Super Bowl. He's had 4 shots now without improvement in post season. I don't care about his stats. I don't care if we Dilfer our way to the SB. Just do it.

Smith isn't capable of big numbers. Doesn't have the vision, the arm or the pocket presence. Stats just happen when you have these tools whether he's interested in them or not. All I want is a Super Bowl. He's had 4 shots now without improvement in post season. I don't care about his stats. I don't care if we Dilfer our way to the SB. Just do it.

We are talking about pressure. So I was saying that his pressures that he gets is not from stats or carrying the team and it's not from the social media. It's not from the general media either. But acting like he is sitting pretty because he doesn't have these pressures is stupid when you know that these athletes are competitive.

Unless you're winning Super Bowl's every year on the backs of your teammates, there is pressure, especially for quarterbacks and especially for veterans who don't have many shots left, and people act like he doesn't have that pressure because of some stupid reference to not carrying the team or media pressure, it's dumb. Not winning the Super Bowl, even if whatever success you had was due to your teammates, would still have pressure.

Players get most pressure from their desire to win. We've had two posters in this thread talk about his lack of pressure due to things that should not pressure him like carrying a team or media. Those things should be irrelevant.

Unless the media can solely push him out, he shouldn't be pressured by them. Stats are good and like you say they come with success, but that shouldn't be a pressure point either. He is supposed to win and when he doesn't he has pressure. If stats or lack there of, affect his ability to win, like third down conversions or red zone conversions, then he should care about those. Here is where he has on the field pressure.

But if he were getting those third down conversions and red zone scores by checking into a good running play, that would affect his stats, but would help us win and therefore wouldn't matter. So he is not sitting pretty due to his teammates, his production, or anything unless he wins without effort.

And the original comment about him having it made also referenced how much money he has made. No one should argue that he or any athlete should have pressure due to money unless they are broke. I mean, Smith has no pressure with the family over budgeting, but what the hell does that have to do with pressure? I mean, as he said, he's made enough money, so that already makes any monetary pressure irrelevant. It isn't proof of lack of pressure or pressure in him being here regardless.

I said he has pressure. Most athletes do. Well maybe not Dee Ford. ;)

I guess my issue was more with the original poster and the next one. Not with you. But I do think he has pressure to win it, not just to not lose it. He is trying to win by playing smart and keeping us in the game and then has been more clutch this year.

If not for the holding call, we might've lost at the buzzer with a field goal by the Steelers or we might have won in overtime. So the last drive was clutch (but too long) until we had to re-attempt the 2 point conversion - that wasn't clutch.

If he had failed even on the first 2pt conversion attempt, then I would have categorized the long drive like the one we got against NE the year prior (Patriots didn't need us to not score, just burn clock - Steelers needed to stop us from scoring and if we did score, conserving clock was good but not needed as OT was worst case scenario - they did neither.)

I think there is a lot of pressure on Smith because of our history here. We went 12-4 and most fans are very unhappy with the season. Most fans probably point to Smith as the reason.

What does that say about the fans? If the coach and the owner and everyone in the office are happy, but the fans aren't, what does that mean?

Fans don't know what they want, and they don't know how to get it. Everyone here has expressed a measure of discontent, but their best solution ends with the caveat: 'If we swing and miss, swing again.' Browns-style. No bueno.

Archived