What Is Your Gut Telling You?

Just curious about how you really feel about the upcoming 2014 NFL season. I know it's early and there is still a lot of work to be put in before the season begins. But as of right now what is your gut telling you?

I have heard everything about the Chiefs from "will still contend for a playoff spot" to "a repeat of 2010-2011 situation" to "Chiefs are gonna fall hard".

What say you? No wrong answer here...lol!

Hitter!

My gut is telling me that the team will be very good IF the Defense can improve the pass defense. 

This improvement can come from a better pass rush by better plays like Dee Ford and Vance Walker or a stronger rotation of talent or improvement by Poe, Houston and Hali.

or

This improvement can come by better coverage by our DB's and Safeties....

or

This improvement can come by our players being in the same scheme for another season together.

I think the Offense will put us 24  points per game.

w

I sadly have to say that my gut is telling me we go 8-8, lose too many close games because of our O line protection breaking down, Bowe not being productive enough for #1 guy(shocker), and the fact the Chiefs are jinxed (in my opinion).

Defense, like last year, will win us a few games but I don't think the offense can beat top defenses with only a few weapons game in and game out.

I'm pretty optimistic.., Last year was a breath of fresh air as far as I'm concerned and while I expect a playoff appearance, I won't be disappointed with a winning season.., WE need to keep it moving forward..,

Also, I'm just pleased as hell to be playing a top tier schedule.., It should be an exciting season.., Defense is the key.., I think even with limited weapons we'll be in most games.., Ain't gonna be any 9-0 runs tho..,

I think barring injury, we will be better but go 9-7 and miss the playoffs. Will will have injuries, but hopefully not to Charles, Houston, smith or Poe. That's what I mean by barring injury.

I think that Oline will struggle the first half of the season. As they improve and the D wears done, I think it plays out a lot like last year. I fully expect Fisher to struggle early and come on strong to be the LT we all hope he will be. Kielce and Fasano need to stay healthy and take the pressure off the WRs.

I have said there are a ton of "ifs" that need to play out for the Chiefs to make the playoffs. My gut tells me they will be more competitive than a lot of pundits are giving them credit for. I laughed when I saw Mr Ev refer to the Chiefs as "jinxed". I've often used the word "cursed" to describe them. 

My gut says Chiefs get a few breaks and Oline holds up decently the Chiefs have a shot at 10 wins. Don't think they will do worse than 8-8. 

I have said there are a ton of "ifs" that need to play out for the Chiefs to make the playoffs. My gut tells me they will be more competitive than a lot of pundits are giving them credit for. I laughed when I saw Mr Ev refer to the Chiefs as "jinxed". I've often used the word "cursed" to describe them.

My gut says Chiefs get a few breaks and Oline holds up decently the Chiefs have a shot at 10 wins. Don't think they will do worse than 8-8.

I don't see how the Chiefs aren't cursed or jinxed...

8-8 will be a good record for this fall in my estimation.  The tougher schedule and the off season player losses lead me to think the team will have a very tough early season.  Last years team benefited from a few breaks (until the playoff injuries) and a favorable schedule before the break.  I don't expect this year's draft choices to contribute that much this season, but unlike the Romeo team, they should be fun to watch and probably improve as the season goes on.

I expected last year's team to improve to 6 wins.  And they did beyond my expectations.  They were an 8 win team that won 11.  Forget Bill Parcells rhetoric.  Still it was a fun season, all in all.

This year, they may be an 8 win team that wins less.  And it might not be so much fun.  

The offense is not fine.  They won't have the poor defenses that gave a false sense of vast improvement.  They are undermanned.  Other than Charlie they won't be much fun to watch.  

The defense is pretty much status quo.  If they cannot generate a pass rush they too will struggle.  FS is still a point of concern.  I'm not sold on Vance Walker.  I really don't anticipate him gen'g the pass rush expected of him.  Unless Shallow Hal can figure out a sub-package to get Hali, Houston and Ford attacking the PR, I don't see drastic improvement there.  I don't see Peyton Manning on his arse any more than he was when KC played him last year.

The schedule is tough.  Only 4 home games can be labelled as probable wins -- TEN, OAK, NYJ and STL.  Road games at BUF, MIA, AZ & OAK are maybes.  As is home versus SD.  Conservatively that's 6-7 wins.  Maybe they sweep all of these games (9).  Maybe they steal one or two of the probable losses (10-11).  I can't bank on maybes.  I see 7 wins.

This will hopefully be a step backward before 2 steps forward.next season.  By then the cap issues will have resolved.  Perhaps a quality WR or two can be added.  There will be more draft picks at Dorsey's disposal.  Ford, Cooper, and Gaines will be ready to contribute.  Hopefully Fisher will become a B player.  We'll see.

Then again, the window on the Herm/Pioli Chiefs is closing.  Hali will be gone.  Flowers too.  Maybe Eric Berry & Dwayne Bowe.  Albert already is.  The nucleus of core players, to which the current regime has only added Al, has not grown.  The team will truly be Reid's and Dorsey's.  We'll see what they are made of then.   

It will be a good year considering the schedule. We will have a major injury. We got off pretty easy in that area last year. However, we are one of the deepest teams in the NFL. As long as Poe doesn't get hurt, I think we'll be OK. He's the one guy that we absolutely cannot lose.

I'm thinking 9-10 wins.

you guys are in for a surprise, chiefs win 12 games..  maybe 14 ... just because i refuse to think that negatively this early.. 

the offensive weapons are there, and well the defense will be there as well.. 

houston, and hali will be better rested, mlb will actually have some depth.. 

and safety will be fine. 

now we have a seriously fast guy for mclusters role, which will open things up.. because you have to respect the speed.. which will make life easier for everybody else. 

It will be a good year considering the schedule. We will have a major injury. We got off pretty easy in that area last year. However, we are one of the deepest teams in the NFL. As long as Poe doesn't get hurt, I think we'll be OK. He's the one guy that we absolutely cannot lose.

I'm thinking 9-10 wins.

I wish I could see how the Chiefs are one of the deepest teams in the NFL.  Have you actually looked at other teams' rosters?  May Chiefs starters would have a hard time becoming backups elsewhere.

you guys are in for a surprise, chiefs win 12 games..  maybe 14 ... just because i refuse to think that negatively this early.. 

the offensive weapons are there, and well the defense will be there as well.. 

houston, and hali will be better rested, mlb will actually have some depth.. 

and safety will be fine. 

now we have a seriously fast guy for mclusters role, which will open things up.. because you have to respect the speed.. which will make life easier for everybody else. 

If you are in a car accident and you think you break your ribs, it is not being negative to say, "Shit. My ribs are broken."  You may want to say, "Well at least my jaw wasn't broken"  or "Thank God I'm alive."  Fine.  You still may have broken ribs.  What you should not say is "My ribs are probably fine."

The Chiefs probably have broken ribs. 

Mongo, no depth? Did you even watch last season?

Chiefs starters would be back ups elsewhere? Did you pay attention to the first 48 hours of free agency? McCluster, Asamoah, Jackson, Schwartz and Albert were signed in the first 48 hours. We didn't make much of an effort to keep those guys because we have depth.

It's too bad you don't it man. I don't think I can rationalize with you :). KC's depth was a huge piece of the pie last year.

Chiefs starters would be back ups elsewhere? Did you pay attention to the first 48 hours of free agency? McCluster, Asamoah, Jackson, Schwartz and Albert were signed in the first 48 hours. We didn't make much of an effort to keep those guys because we have depth.

It's too bad you don't it man. I don't think I can rationalize with you :). KC's depth was a huge piece of the pie last year.

Yeah, come on Mongo.

Last game of the year should have showed you something.  I didn't think they stood any chance of competing in that one.  Nothing to play for with most the starters out.  On the road against a team that had EVERYTHING to play for.   Wouldn't have EVER dreamed it would have come down to 1 play at the end.  Thanks for ruining a great day SUCCUP!!

Yeah, come on Mongo.

Last game of the year should have showed you something. I didn't think they stood any chance of competing in that one. Nothing to play for with most the starters out. On the road against a team that had EVERYTHING to play for. Wouldn't have EVER dreamed it would have come down to 1 play at the end. Thanks for ruining a great day SUCCUP!!

As I recall, the Chiefs should have and deserved to win that game. I don't remember specifically anymore but I remember thinking how our backups got robbed.

I have no reason to believe that this season will be as good or better. I'm just not an optimistic person though when it comes to our jinxed Chiefs.

KC didn't make any effort because there was no cap room.

As I recall, the Chiefs should have and deserved to win that game. I don't remember specifically anymore but I remember thinking how our backups got robbed.

I have no reason to believe that this season will be as good or better. I'm just not an optimistic person though when it comes to our jinxed Chiefs.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.  Not ripping you man.  I really don't care how the scrubs performed in a single game.  SD's defense was not good last year.

There's a reason those guys were scrubs.  There's a reason Rishaw Johnson could not make SEA's roster over JR Sweezy (who?) at RG.  There's a reason CHI worked him out but didn't offer a contract.

He wasn't good enough, but on a line bereft of talent, he's penciled in at starter.

Archived