Berry gets some Free Agency Advice

The Godfather Gil Brandt spoke to BJ Kissel of Chiefs.com from Radio Row this week and had some good advice for Eric Berry’s impending free agency (or franchise tag).

“I talked to [Eric] Berry’s father today,” Brandt, who once signed Berry’s father, James, to a contract after he finished up his playing career at Tennessee, explained. “I told him, ‘I want you to know one thing. The best deal is not always the best deal.’ I think Kansas City is the type of town, and you can go to Bobby Bell and Len Dawson that have lived there all their life and are held in such high esteem and ask them, I think Kansas City is a great place to go. It’s not what you get today, it’s what you get for the next 30 or 35 years that counts.”

I call this good advice because we’re a Chiefs blog, you see. This advice is suggesting to him that he can get more out of staying in Kansas City over the long term rather than signing with another team for more money in the short-term.

There’s something to this. I’m not sure how you quantify it but Brandt used Len Dawson as an example. Lenny has been a mainstay in the city for the last 50 years from the local news to calling Chiefs games. Of course, Berry’s era and Lenny’s era isn’t exactly the same. Players are richer and more visible these days. They don’t need the local news station to give them a job.

Not every team is going to put your name on the ring of honor and remember you for life. The Chiefs probably would though.

Gil Brandt is a good person. I follow him on Twitter. It was nice of him to do this. I had an idea Berry's agent was asking a lot. The Chiefs offered a competitive contract last year, and seemed surprised they could not get a deal done. Following this season, which was one of his best, it is likely Berry's agent is asking more.

While, thats great and i hope Berry sticks around because im a Chiefs fan.  YOu have to look at the flip side to this all.   He has to ask himself if he really wants to be serious about winning a Superbowl? if he is, im sure he will have better chances elsewhere.     Does it guarantee him winning? absolutely not, but  playing on certain other teams will give him a better chance thats for damned sure.     We have all seen the Chiefs waste career's of really awesome players!     Gotta be a tough choice for Berry.  I hope he stays, but wont blame him if he bolts.

While, thats great and i hope Berry sticks around because im a Chiefs fan.  YOu have to look at the flip side to this all.   He has to ask himself if he really wants to be serious about winning a Superbowl? if he is, im sure he will have better chances elsewhere.     Does it guarantee him winning? absolutely not, but  playing on certain other teams will give him a better chance thats for damned sure.     We have all seen the Chiefs waste career's of really awesome players!     Gotta be a tough choice for Berry.  I hope he stays, but wont blame him if he bolts.

Tony G. went to a team that had a chance to win the SB and never got his ring.  Players should know that as long as a team is a consistent winner, they have a shot but no team is a guaranteed lock to win it all.  If Berry went to the Pats and Brady retired, EB could be waiting for a SB shot for the rest of his career and never get one.  It's all a crap shoot.

Tony G. went to a team that had a chance to win the SB and never got his ring.  Players should know that as long as a team is a consistent winner, they have a shot but no team is a guaranteed lock to win it all.  If Berry went to the Pats and Brady retired, EB could be waiting for a SB shot for the rest of his career and never get one.  It's all a crap shoot.

Frank Gore: Played in the three consecutive Conference Championship Games, but never won a Super Bowl. Left the 49ers after an 8-8 season to go to the Colts. This was how he felt into his first 8-8 season with the Colts. I wonder how he felt after his second 8-8 season.

Archived