Clark Hunt says he plans to discuss extensions with Reid, Dorsey

HOUSTON

Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt is not taking the team’s success the last four years for granted.

Three playoff appearances, a playoff victory for the first time in 22 years and a 43-21 regular-season record go a long way with an NFL owner, so Hunt plans to discuss contract extensions with coach Andy Reid and general manager John Dorsey, who each have one year remaining on their deals.

“Both he and Andy ... I would expect to sit down with them over the course of the next year and sit down and talk about an extension,” Hunt said. “Let me frame it this way: I’m very satisfied with the job both of them have done, and I really like the way the two of them have worked together.”

Hunt also confirmed The Star’s report over the weekend that Dorsey is under contract through the 2017 season, putting to rest the speculation (at least for now) that he might join the Green Bay Packers if longtime general manager and Dorsey mentor Ted Thompson retires.

“There had been some reports out there that he was not under contract for this upcoming season — that’s incorrect, he is under contract,” Hunt said of Dorsey. Hunt said his belief in both men is based on everything they’ve accomplished since they arrived in 2013, taking over a team that went 2-14 in 2012.

“John, the job he’s done in building depth and competition on the roster — and I think those were areas we were probably weak in when he joined the franchise — I think that’s made a very big difference for us,” Hunt said. “Certainly, a number of his draft picks have played well. Not only first-round guys, but guys down through the rounds.

“And then Andy, I think you would have a hard time finding a four-year period for the Chiefs — other than (the one including) Super Bowl 1 and Super Bowl 3 — where we’ve had (this) kind of success, whether it’s talking about 2013, where we opened undefeated for eight or nine weeks, last year, where we were 1-5 and somehow recovered from that to win 10 straight games and make the playoffs and then win the playoff game in Houston, or this year, going 12-4 and winning the West ... He’s done a great job.”

That’s not to say Hunt was completely happy with the 2016 season, however. He certainly liked his team’s regular season, when they finished 12-4, their best record since 2003, and won the AFC West for the first time since 2010. But the ending, an 18-16 home loss to Pittsburgh in the divisional round, was bitter.

“We’re really uphappy not to be playing here in Houston this weekend,” Hunt said. “I know there are 30 teams that feel that way, but when you have a team that wins 12 games, wins your division, it’s much, much tougher to be here in Houston and not have the Chiefs playing.”

The Steelers game, specifically, was difficult to stomach.

“We had a chance to score points and we just didn’t get it done,” Hunt said. “You hate to lose a game where you’ve got a penalty involved, but we never should have been in that position.”

All in all, Hunt said the Chiefs had an exciting season. Wild, comeback victories were their calling card (see games against San Diego, Carolina, Denver and Atlanta), and Hunt hopes fans enjoyed that part, at least.

“There were a number of games where it looked like we lost the game and somehow we came back and won it,” Hunt said.

The key now, he said, is to build on this season’s successes.

“I do think (this team) is good enough to win the Super Bowl — I absolutely think it’s capable of that,” he said. “The trick is, you have to keep building on what you have every year, and every year you’re going to turn over 20 or 25 percent of your roster.

“You’ve just got to try to get a little bit better than you were before.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article130681999.html#storylink=cpy

I think it is established that you have to fire the coach after winning coach of the year and not the Super Bowl. Denver's Coach Fox was fired after losing the Super Bowl, I think won Coach of the Year? George Karl was fired after winning the coach of the year in the NBA and lost.

I think it is established that you have to fire the coach after winning coach of the year and not the Super Bowl. Denver's Coach Fox was fired after losing the Super Bowl, I think won Coach of the Year? George Karl was fired after winning the coach of the year in the NBA and lost.

Established by morons?

4 years and a playoff win over Hoyer and the Texans. Then one and done this year. Fox took his team to Super and lost. Fired. Some organizations have different expectations. I know they took over a 4-12 team and I appreciate that but so did Fox.

2-14... But same difference I guess.

1969 to 2017, the Pittsburgh Steelers have had three coaches. Chuck Noll retired, and left the team to Bill Cowher. Bill Cowher retired, and left the team to Mike Tomlin. Sort of like the Dread Pirate Roberts, the Steelers have found a key to succession. Hire wisely, and have patience to become consistently good.

The New England Patriots are the hot commodity of the day, but they haven't always been good. They got good, and stayed that way by being patient, and giving Belichick what he needs to win.

1969 to 2017, the Pittsburgh Steelers have had three coaches. Chuck Noll retired, and left the team to Bill Cowher. Bill Cowher retired, and left the team to Mike Tomlin. Sort of like the Dread Pirate Roberts, the Steelers have found a key to succession. Hire wisely, and have patience to become consistently good.

The New England Patriots are the hot commodity of the day, but they haven't always been good. They got good, and stayed that way by being patient, and giving Belichick what he needs to win.

NE is good because of the sum of all the parts. they bring people in who know their specific role and are not asked to do more. When they decide to strike out on their own (Pioli, McDaniels, O'Brien, Crennell etc) the results have been bad. Curious to see how Belicheck will do without a future HOF'er at QB...will they look like the bronco's did after Manning???

NE is good because of Belichek

Belichek was great BEFORE he got to NE.  He fell off the Parcell's tree.

These guys are great because they are highly competent, highly intelligent and  have a coefficient of 0 when dealing with Bullshit.

w

These guys are great because they are highly competent, highly intelligent and  have a coefficient of 0 when dealing with Bullshit.

w

Going by the record in Cleveland....not so great before NE

Year  Age       Team                              W  L  T  W-L% 

1991 39      Cleveland Browns               6 10 0 .375 

1992 40      Cleveland Browns               7  9  0  438     

1993 41      Cleveland Browns               7  9  0 .438      

1994 42      Cleveland Browns             11  5  0 .688  

1995 43      Cleveland Browns               5 11 0 .313 

2000 48      New England Patriots          5 11 0 .313  

The Rest

2001 49 New England Patriots 11 5 0 .688 Super Bowl Champions

2002 50 New England Patriots   9 7 0 .563    

2003 51 New England Patriots 14 2 0 .875 Super Bowl Champions

2004 52 New England Patriots 14 2 0 .875 Super Bowl Champions

2005 53 New England Patriots 10 6 0 .625

2006 54 New England Patriots 12 4 0 .750

2007 55 New England Patriots 16 0 0 1.000 AFC Champions

2008 56 New England Patriots 11 5 0 .688 

2009 57 New England Patriots 10 6 0 .625

2010 58 New England Patriots 14 2 0 .875

2011 59 New England Patriots 13 3 0 .813  AFC Champions

2012 60 New England Patriots 12 4 0 .750

2013 61 New England Patriots 12 4 0 .750

2014 62 New England Patriots 12 4 0 .750 Super Bowl Champions

2015 63 New England Patriots 12 4 0 .750

2016 64 New England Patriots 14 2 0 .875

w

No he wasn't great as a head coach with Kosar and Testaverde. He was a loser.

Belichick finally turned the Browns into an 11 win team after making a very hated decision of replacing Kosar with Vinnie.

Would of been a big winner the next year if they hadn't announced the move to Baltimore. Really sunk that season.

No the next year after 11 win was 5-11. Then he got fired. 4 out of 5 losing seasons. Then in his first year with Patriots he was 5-11. The next year they were 0-2 and when Bledsoe got hurt and he put Brady in and they won the Super Bowl. So he was 5-13 without Brady in his first 18 games. Then he put Brady in and they were 14-3 the rest of the season and won the Super Bowl. So in the 2 seasons and 2 games before Brady started he was 10-24. 

I want to say Belly is purely a product of Brady, but it is hard for me to discount his record without Brady. He did go 11-5 with Cassel. 3-1 with Garoppollo this year. Fielded a legit D while letting the high dollar guys walk.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but have to lean towards the guy being a stud coach. I can't judge anyone on what they did in Cleaveland.

I want to say Belly is purely a product of Brady, but it is hard for me to discount his record without Brady. He did go 11-5 with Cassel. 3-1 with Garoppollo this year. Fielded a legit D while letting the high dollar guys walk.

I haven't made up my mind yet, but have to lean towards the guy being a stud coach. I can't judge anyone on what they did in Cleaveland.

No doubt he's a good coach 7 Super Bowls and 5 championships without Brady. Don't think so.  He had 1 winning season in 6 before Brady. If Brady were in KC this year. Andy would be hoisting the trophy. Besides if he were a stud coach, Cleveland wouldn't be Cleaveland, right? 

No the next year after 11 win was 5-11. Then he got fired. 4 out of 5 losing seasons. Then in his first year with Patriots he was 5-11. The next year they were 0-2 and when Bledsoe got hurt and he put Brady in and they won the Super Bowl. So he was 5-13 without Brady in his first 18 games. Then he put Brady in and they were 14-3 the rest of the season and won the Super Bowl. So in the 2 seasons and 2 games before Brady started he was 10-24.

Uh my poat literally said they weren't winning the last season in Cleveland. The actual truth was they were winning up until Modell announced they were moving to Baltimore.

Don't give too much of a shit about a HCs record the first year in a new team.

He's a defensive wizard. Look yesterday as an example.

Usually its a combo of both coach and QB that leads to greatness. Brady ends up in Cleveland without BB he isn't hoisting 5 lombardis. Doubtful of even one. BB without Brady isn't doing it either.

Montana and Walsh are the same way. KC drafts Montana he isn't winning 4 SBs in KC without Walsh. Walsh ain't doing it without Montana.

Archived