Is Alex Smith good enough to win a Super Bowl?

I'm not sure Alex Smith can take this team to the SB, let alone win it. In fact, I believe I said "I doubt it."

However, Rypien, Hostetler, Simms, Williams, Dilfer, Flacco, and Johnson say he just may have a shot.

Rypien was a slinger. He was good. Simms never had great recievers. He would have been even better.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure Alex Smith can take this team to the SB, let alone win it. In fact, I believe I said "I doubt it."

However, Rypien, Hostetler, Simms, Williams, Dilfer, Flacco, and Johnson say he just may have a shot.

I'd take all of them over Smith. Dilfer would be a toss up

Kaepernick had 302 yds passing 1 TD 1 INT with 62 yards rushing 1 rushing TD had 2 receivers over 100 yds and scored 31 points. So I'm guessing by forcing you mean, trying to win.

No, I am referring to the last drive of the game where he had other players open but forced the ball the Crabtree because he "owed him one."

https://www.google.com/amp/goldengatesports.com/2013/02/07/super-bowl-xlvii-why-kaepernick-threw-to-crabtree-on-final-drive/amp/

One was said to have been drawn up for Walker who was wide open. This has nothing to do with Dmith, as I know he misses open players, too. A force is a force.

About the stats, I didn't mean to insist he didn't do snything, just talked about the last drive.

Rypien was a slinger. He was good. Simms never had great recievers. He would have been even better.

Rypien also lead an offense that broke records that year.  They had 3 really good WR's as well.    Rypien had a hell of a year.

“You have to be willing to lose games for your team, in order to win games for your team,” he said. “By that I mean, you have to be willing to take chances to make big plays,

That says everything you need to know and why they will always falter in January

Alex will never do that, dude plays it safe. Once in a while he will try to  turn it up, but it doesnt last long at all.     He's ok with being conservative and they are ok with him being Conservative. It wins you regular season games.     The average fan is ok with that.

When Smith plays with urgency he is actually good.  I'm not sure why KC doesn't play a more uptempo style of offense, Smith ran it to near perfection at Utah under Urban Meyer.  I don't like Andy Reid's methodical offense and honestly he doesn't have the personnel to run it the way it needs to be run...  If he were to adopt a more Jim Kelly style, my guess is that Smith would excel.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article131213059.html

You could do much worse than Alex Smith, and many NFL teams do.

But here’s the thing: even if you disagree with me that Smith’s costly end zone interceptions, general lack of effective running, and head trauma scare in Indianapolis mean you should be looking for the next quarterback, you should still be looking for the next quarterback because Smith is about to turn 33 and plays the most important position in professional sports and if you are not trying to improve there you are negligent.

But with Romo, haven’t we seen that? Haven’t we seen the Chiefs trade for an older quarterback whose team just found something better?

What we haven’t seen is the Chiefs invest a high draft pick in a quarterback they identify as the best possible fit, and they are tremendously positioned to do that now, for at least three strong reasons:

▪ They have extra picks, so trading up, if they have to, doesn’t have to ruin their draft.

▪ Alex Smith’s contract is such that the Chiefs can sort of go year-to-year now. They have too many good players to throw away a season, but Smith’s contract and Reid’s coaching means they don’t have to do that. Draft a guy, play Smith, and be patient until you think the pick is ready. If it’s by next season, you can renegotiate Smith’s deal or cut him to save $17 million in cap space to spend on the rest of the roster.

▪ This draft includes at least four top quarterback prospects who many believe would be a good fit for the Chiefs and Reid.

That’s easy — Deshaun Watson — but let’s change the question a bit to which quarterback prospect would be the best fit.

When my wife and kids aren’t around, I basically turn into a slightly less nuts version of Terez, so in Houston last week for the Super Bowl I spent a chunk of time watching tape of Watson, Mitch Trubisky, DeShone Kizer and Patrick Mahomes.

I actually think all four would be good fits for the Chiefs, in different ways and to varying degrees. A few thoughts that apply to all four: they’d be better off sitting a year, and it’s hard to guess how the transition from these college offenses will go. Also, this is just watching tape. The important stuff for quarterbacks is often what goes behind the tape. Anyway, here we go in pseudo order:

Watson, Clemson: I like him even more after watching the tapes than I did just from watching games the last two falls. The tape showed me his receivers don’t prop up his passing as much as I thought, and several of his interceptions were on tipped balls. He does everything in the Chiefs’ offense already. His accuracy on deep passes is inconsistent, but there’s more than enough there to believe that’ll come. His leadership speaks for itself, but I also liked a moment where he threw a bad interception near the goal line but ran down the defender for a touchdown-saving tackle. You’d rather not have the interception, but he didn’t pout or quit on the play.

Mitch Trubisky, North Carolina: I didn’t expect to like him this much, but he has all the physical stuff you’d want. Very good athlete, strong arm, good touch. His receivers aren’t good, either, so he earned what he had. At the end of the Duke game, he threw three passes that should’ve been touchdowns before one was caught. You wonder about only having one year starting in college, but there’s a lot to work with here.

DeShone Kizer, Notre Dame: I don’t like him nearly as much as what seems to be consensus. Very raw, don’t like his touch on deep routes, and it’s hard to see how often he goes through progressions. Physically, he’s the best of the bunch, by a margin. Big, and fast enough to run away from folks. But the passing just doesn’t seem advanced enough for what some are projecting. Too many missed throws, not enough down-the-field success.

Patrick Mahomes, Texas Tech: His mechanics are a mess. Long delivery, terrible footwork, and he makes some awful decisions, particularly against pressure. The qualifier about transitioning from a college offense is thrice as true here, both because of Texas Tech’s system and the Big 12. Too much of his success comes on broken plays, backyard football where he’s scrambling and throwing on the run. It’s great that he’s able to have some success there, but it’s also where he makes a lot of his mistakes, and it’s hard to imagine Andy Reid putting up with too much of that. All this said, he’s intriguing for the Chiefs if they can sit him at least a year. Has a ton of what football people call “arm talent,” and plenty of made throws and plays he extends with his athleticism.

I am absolutely certain this is something we’ll talk much more about going forward, including a podcast I did with Terez about Patrick Mahomes.

Let’s pump the brakes on a few things here. Some of what’s being said about the Chiefs should be saved for bad teams without direction or success, not teams that’ve won 43 games in the last four years and just went 12-4 to win what many were calling the NFL’s best division.

That said, let me be presumptuous enough to think you might be referring to the column in which I asked six Super Bowl winners whether Smith was good enough. The stuff from Kurt Warner was particularly good, and I hope you read all of it, but here are the best two parts:

“You have to be willing to lose games for your team, in order to win games for your team. By that I mean, you have to be willing to take chances to make big plays, and you might make more mistakes than he makes, because he does a great job protecting the football.”

And:

“If he never makes that switch as a guy who’s willing to lose games for his team, but more importantly believes he can win games for his team with his right arm, I don’t know if they ever get over that hump.”

That’s the whole thing, right? The frustration. The feeling that the Chiefs, and Smith in particular, aren’t willing to take enough chances.

No offense, but it’s absurd to say Reid and Smith are “toxic.” The group they took over for was toxic. The Chiefs have built their way into a stronger position than most in the NFL, but not as strong as a few.

We agree that it’s unlikely for a 13th-year quarterback and 19th-year head coach to suddenly and fundamentally change who they are.

With the current setup, and even with a few improvements, the Chiefs would need significant breaks to make or win a Super Bowl. That’s part of why I believe they should look for the quarterback of the future, but they have enough good players and have demonstrated enough recent success that it would be a bit masochistic to give up what they’ve built.

I disagree with Mellinger, and this time I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with him in the same article.

This is not supposed to be a good year for quarterbacks in the draft. Most people feel that way... well, that is highly subjective, but it is what I believe.

There are four quarterbacks who could help the Chiefs. Actually, there may be others, but define help. I don't view a single QB currently in the draft, who could play ahead of Alex Smith next year. Not one.

The Chiefs can trade, cut, or recreate Alex Smith's contract. Each year remaining (there are two) is what amounts to a one year contract. He is not in a strong position to negotiate. The Chiefs could negotiate new terms, get another year (just in case), and make the cap space easier to achieve. This is what I would do if given the chance.

I disagree with Mellinger, and this time I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with him in the same article.

This is not supposed to be a good year for quarterbacks in the draft. Most people feel that way... well, that is highly subjective, but it is what I believe.

There are four quarterbacks who could help the Chiefs. Actually, there may be others, but define help. I don't view a single QB currently in the draft, who could play ahead of Alex Smith next year. Not one.

The Chiefs can trade, cut, or recreate Alex Smith's contract. Each year remaining (there are two) is what amounts to a one year contract. He is not in a strong position to negotiate. The Chiefs could negotiate new terms, get another year (just in case), and make the cap space easier to achieve. This is what I would do if given the chance.

Eh....we always say that. Meanwhile Oakland & Dallas are now set for years with QBs they got in the last few years. Why do so many people think AA is so difficult to replace? No vertical game, if primary is not wide open, he bails without looking downfield to extend the play, doesn't run any more. But don't take my word.  Kurt Warner nailed. That guy knows the position and what it takes. But most scathing was Marcus Peters tweet. Don't think he's the only one in the locker room that feels that way. They see Rodgers, Ryan, Brady, blah. blah, blah selling out to win without regard to losing. I find it entertaining to listen to the AAA Club just trash Kaepernick which makes me wonder how anybody could be benched in favor of him. And we think he's going to lead us to the Super Bowl? When Alex was terrible it was because the 9ers had a garbage team around him. But Kaepernick has worse garbage around him now but it's different. He just sucks. Has Alex done enough to deserve a 5th year? The guy makes millions while people wander around saying "well he's the best we have" ''there's nobody better available" "any rookie wouldn't be better"

Most years, none of the first round QBs turn out be anything. Sometimes 1 of the 4 turn out to be the guy you are looking for. I don't think we need to kill ourselves to get one of the top prospects.

AZ mentioned Prescott and Carr. Good examples of good QBs coming after the first round. BPA.

Is it a Ryan and Flacco year or a Bradford and Tebow year? I will leave that to the experts, but from what I am reading I would not sell the farm for any of them.

Eh....we always say that. Meanwhile Oakland & Dallas are now set for years with QBs they got in the last few years.

Does anyone here remember when the Redskins were set with Robert Griffin III? Where are the Redskins now? Where is Robert Griffin III now?

Smith has been closer to winning a Super Bowl than Robert Griffin III. Smith has been closer to winning a Super Bowl than Dak Prescott. Smith has been closer to winning a Super Bowl than Derek Carr. None of these three quarterbacks have demonstrated more consistency or game management capabilities that Alex Smith has.

Lack of game management is the reason that the Patriots won the Super Bowl. Tom Brady had a terrible first half, but then the Patriots made adjustments to the offense, and Tom Brady went out and executed. The Patriots' defense backed up Tom Brady better in the second half, making a comeback possible. But after a great first half for the Falcons, it was the coaching and Matt Ryan's failure to manage the last thirty minutes of the game that cost the Falcons the Super Bowl.

Pump the brakes on the players that have never won a game in the post-season. 

Does anyone here remember when the Redskins were set with Robert Griffin III? Where are the Redskins now? Where is Robert Griffin III now?

Smith has been closer to winning a Super Bowl than Robert Griffin III. Smith has been closer to winning a Super Bowl than Dak Prescott. Smith has been closer to winning a Super Bowl than Derek Carr. None of these three quarterbacks have demonstrated more consistency or game management capabilities that Alex Smith has.

Lack of game management is the reason that the Patriots won the Super Bowl. Tom Brady had a terrible first half, but then the Patriots made adjustments to the offense, and Tom Brady went out and executed. The Patriots' defense backed up Tom Brady better in the second half, making a comeback possible. But after a great first half for the Falcons, it was the coaching and Matt Ryan's failure to manage the last thirty minutes of the game that cost the Falcons the Super Bowl.

Pump the brakes on the players that have never won a game in the post-season. 

*Yawn*

Archived