Is Alex Smith good enough to win a Super Bowl?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are the Chiefs better then the redskins?  YES.  Did RG3 flop? yes.    Are the Chiefs a good regular season team? YES.   Are the Chiefs serious title contenders? NO. 

I dont know if false hope is better then no hope.  All i know is it ends the same.    Fans of the Chiefs are still going to be watching other teams play in the Super Bowl.

I find it highly doubtful the Chiefs can win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith. I don't think they can win one with Foles. I do think, if he stayed healthy, they could win one with Romo, but that's a big ass IF. 

So, there aren't many options. I think that the Chiefs are best off to renegotiate Foles to a decent backup contract. Not quite the 7 per that Daniel got, but I'd be inclined to say 6 per over 3 years. Then, deal Smith. Whatever you can get, hopefully a third. Wait for Dallas to cut Romo and sign him to a 2-year deal. Draft a QBOTF. I advocate reaching a tad for Mahomes and take him at 27. I think that gives you a present in Romo with a Smith calibur backup plan, and a guy you can groom to take over in 2018 or 2019. 

I think, overall, that's your best chance to win when it matters for now. Alex Smith isn't going to become less conservative and risk averse after 12 years of being exactly that.

I find it highly doubtful the Chiefs can win a Super Bowl with Alex Smith. I don't think they can win one with Foles. I do think, if he stayed healthy, they could win one with Romo, but that's a big ass IF.

So, there aren't many options. I think that the Chiefs are best off to renegotiate Foles to a decent backup contract. Not quite the 7 per that Daniel got, but I'd be inclined to say 6 per over 3 years. Then, deal Smith. Whatever you can get, hopefully a third. Wait for Dallas to cut Romo and sign him to a 2-year deal. Draft a QBOTF. I advocate reaching a tad for Mahomes and take him at 27. I think that gives you a present in Romo with a Smith calibur backup plan, and a guy you can groom to take over in 2018 or 2019.

I think, overall, that's your best chance to win when it matters for now. Alex Smith isn't going to become less conservative and risk averse after 12 years of being exactly that.

They might have to trade up to 24 if they want Mahomes.

Romo is pretty scary. He couldn't stay healthy behind the best line in football, but I think he would get hurt quickly here. He has 117 picks to 248 TDs. He is 36 and close to done for.

Still it would be interesting to see him gun slinging it to Mac, Hill and Kelce. I just don't think that is the way to go.

The Vikings already have enough brokedicks on the roster. Romo is going to end up in Denver.

I think Denver will let Siemian and Lynch battle it out in training camp. Even if Romo is only around for a couple of years you are into year 4 before you let the guy drafted to be their future have a shot.

Dallas I think makes him a June 1st casualty and he ends up in Houston or Arizona.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/8/11/12419512/alex-smith-every-dropback-of-2015

According to Casserly, Jimmy Garoppolo is better than anyone in the draft this year. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785862/article/casserly-jimmy-garoppolo-better-than-any-qb-in-2017-nfl-draft

Given these two details, which I believe to be accurate, the Chiefs are not going to start a rookie they draft this year. It is time to find a new guy. Perhaps that guy is already on the team. Maybe they have to draft the new guy. Whichever it is, the Chiefs probably should not cut ties with Alex Smith, not right now. They need to extend him for a few more years, and decrease his cap numbers for the next year or two, but he is necessary for the future of this team.

I think Denver will let Siemian and Lynch battle it out in training camp. Even if Romo is only around for a couple of years you are into year 4 before you let the guy drafted to be their future have a shot.

Dallas I think makes him a June 1st casualty and he ends up in Houston or Arizona.

I like both Siemian and Lynch. Lynch has more potential, and is more ideally suited to play in the NFL. The thing they do not have is a veteran quarterback, such as Alex Smith, to sit behind until they are ready to go to battle.

My hope is the Broncos get impatient, and give up on either Siemian or Lynch before they are ready. I'd take either one in a minute.

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/8/11/12419512/alex-smith-every-dropback-of-2015

According to Casserly, Jimmy Garoppolo is better than anyone in the draft this year. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785862/article/casserly-jimmy-garoppolo-better-than-any-qb-in-2017-nfl-draft

Given these two details, which I believe to be accurate, the Chiefs are not going to start a rookie they draft this year. It is time to find a new guy. Perhaps that guy is already on the team. Maybe they have to draft the new guy. Whichever it is, the Chiefs probably should not cut ties with Alex Smith, not right now. They need to extend him for a few more years, and decrease his cap numbers for the next year or two, but he is necessary for the future of this team.

I think Casserly is nuts and I saw a QB check down enough to make Alex go damn.

Archived