They Royals sucked for 30 years...but they now have two World Series appearances with a world championship in the last three years. I was a fan throughout...at least it didn't end with heartbreak year after year. I'd take years of sucking that results in an eventual title instead of playoff disappointment with no Super Bowl appearance in nearly 50 years. There is one winner and 31 losers every season. We have been losers for 48 years. No consolation prize for making it to the playoffs...and being one and done over and over...

So where lies the thin line between The Royals and The Browns? Everyone is avoiding giving a direct answer to that question.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Royals finally figured shit out and started developing a proper farm system.

The Browns continue a never-ending round of Yakkity Sax and let homeless people choose their first round picks.

Even you, in your heavy Alex love stance, can realize that the Browns are a special kind of something that just can't be replicated or compared to.

The Royals finally figured *** out and started developing a proper farm system.

The Browns continue a never-ending round of Yakkity Sax and let homeless people choose their first round picks.

Even you, in your heavy Alex love stance, can realize that the Browns are a special kind of something that just can't be replicated or compared to.

Notably, there's no farm system in the NFL, while MLB doesn't have a true salary cap that actually contributes to parity. The leagues are totally different. There's no dynamic to mimic.

Browns v2.0 haven't been good, but it's not impossible to become like them. All you need is to make enough consecutive bad decisions so that the only free agents that will play for you are the ones that want to cash out before they get injured and can't play anymore. The San Francisco 49ers are a bad season away from being Browns West. And how did the 49ers get there?

The 49ers have to sustain their path for another decade to hit the Browns status.

As to why they got there, well it would start with a stupid childish owner and an overrated GM pushing out the best coach they've had in a long time.

That best coach was part of the reason Alex Smith wasn't there when the 49ers went 8-8 with one of the most talented rosters in the league. It's easy to hang the 49ers' present situation on the owner and the former General Manager, but Jim Harbaugh deserves plenty of blame for running the roster into the ground. Jim Harbaugh's biggest strength was the coaching staff he assembled. His style of motivation worked for a few years, but burned out some of the players. By the end of 2014, some of the players couldn't wait for Harbaugh to be sent out the door.

If the 49ers had continued to win in the post-season, much would have been forgiven by owner and player alike. The 49ers were an ascending team when Jim Harbaugh made the quarterback change. For a time, the 49ers benefited from opposing owners lacking game tape on Kaepernick. By the time the 49ers reached 2013, they were already trending in the wrong direction. Once Kaepernick made his money-grab in 2014, the 49ers were doomed. The owner and General Manager were there all along, but Jim Harbaugh is quite culpable in the 49ers' collapse. I wish he had stayed long enough to have to answer for what was obviously an errant switch, as it would have changed much about fan perceptions concerning what happened in San Francisco. He was wise to protect his own image by washing his hands of a situation he was responsible for.

There is no way they would be where they are with harbaugh. None.

I didn't say that. Jim Harbaugh was light years ahead of the coaches they put out during the eight years prior. There were, however, two problems that coincided:

• Jim Harbaugh had two years left on his contract heading into 2014, and he felt that he should be well-compensated, a demand justified by the 49ers' reaching the NFC Conference Championship three years in a row

• Jim Harbaugh failed to lead his team to the post-season in a year when the 49ers' roster had apexed

The 49ers didn't want to retain a lame-duck Head Coach, and Jim Harbaugh had already drawn his line in the sand over his desired compensation. The impasse assured the eventual departure of Harbaugh if the season went sour, which it did early on. Nevertheless, there were all sorts of reports of discontent among the players that had nothing to do with the owner or the General Manager, and everything to do with Harbaugh.

It's been said around here that Jim Harbaugh is the sort of Head Coach that could have enormous success in NCAA Football, but can't manage the emotions and relationships that he must to have long-term success in the NFL.

AZ is keeping Palmer. Andy already said we're stuck with AA. So it's Denver or Houston. We'll find out what Horse Face thinks of Lynch and Houston will have to dine on Assweiler's contract.

At his end of year press conference in Jan of 2010 Andy said that McNabb was his starting QB for the next season and talked about everything McNabb had done. Traded McNabb not long after that.

I believe Alex will be here next year but beware of what Andy says cause he has history of saying one thing and doing another.

At his end of year press conference in Jan of 2010 Andy said that McNabb was his starting QB for the next season and talked about everything McNabb had done. Traded McNabb not long after that.

I believe Alex will be here next year but beware of what Andy says cause he has history of saying one thing and doing another.

Would have to agree with all of this.

The difference there is that Reid wanted to start Kevin Kolb, whom he had drafted only a few years before. Reid didn't draft Romo, and Romo is much older now than Kolb was then. There are a lot of people that want Reid to do something other than what he said, but the precedents being cited where Reid did so don't actually correlate to the Chiefs' present situation.

Uh... you can't be serious. Foles is not a legitimate starting quarterback.

That's not fair. He may not be but you can't say that yet. He was great in Philly. The rams sucked all around him. He'll get another chance somewhere else most likely

That's not fair. He may not be but you can't say that yet. He was great in Philly. The rams sucked all around him. He'll get another chance somewhere else most likely

Where is Chip Kelly? When was Nick Foles good in Philadelphia, outside of Chip Kelly's first year in the league? Why do people give so much credence to flash-in-the-pan quarterbacking? If the play was sustainable, things would be different. The tape on Foles never meshed with the 27-2 touchdowns-to-interceptions line he accumulated.

It's fair.

He can have a chance elsewhere. I'm fine with that. I don't mean to be a crusher of people's dreams. I'm also not a big fan of puffing up the egos of done-nothings unlikely to do anything.

Foles isn't good enough to make players around him better but give him some weapons and he'll use them. If he goes to Denver, could be interesting with their WRs

I think Foles can be a quality starter. He needs protection and he can move the ball better than most starting QBs. At least he has a stretch on his resume where he was the best QB in football for half a season. He is not an elite QB like those numbers suggest, but he is not as bad as his Rams numbers suggest.

Foles will prove to be a quality starter in this league IMO. I do not want to see him in Denver. None of the draft picks have proven they are anymore than Jake Locker. I would like to see one land here but not at the expense of moving to a top 10 pick.

Archived