Foles cap hit is lower than first thought

I think we should reconsider keeping him around, look at what happened to the raiders when Carr went down...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Nick Foles signed with the Chiefs in early August, he joined the team to reunite with coach Andy Reid, whom he trusted to help him develop as a quarterback.

It now appears that Foles could move to another team, as a source confirmed to The Star on Wednesday that the Chiefs will likely pass on Foles’ contract option for the 2017 season.

Fox Sports first reported the news.

The NFL Players Association had listed Foles’ potential 2017 cap number as $10.75 million, but that number is incorrect and has since been fixed in its internal records. Foles’ option is instead a more manageable $6.75 million, with a base salary of $6.4 million.

The decision to walk away from Foles would leave the Chiefs with three quarterbacks: starter Alex Smith, seldom-used Tyler Bray and Joel Stave, who was signed to a reserve-futures contract after last season.

Reid, who drafted Foles in the third round in 2012, snapped him up to settle an uncertain backup quarterback competition in Kansas City.

If Foles doesn’t find any tempting offers on the open market, he appeared to be amenable to returning, given the way he raved about his 2016 experience in mid-January.

“I would be thrilled,” Foles said when asked last month if he wanted to return to the Chiefs. “If I ended up here next year I would be thrilled.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article132864549.html#storylink=cpy

Foles cap hit makes him the "favorite" to be the starter IMO.

But...Latest from ESPN Says Otherwise:

What will Chiefs do at No. 2 behind Alex Smith?

Teicher

9:08 AM PT

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Chiefs have ended whatever suspense there might have been about the identity of their starting quarterback in 2017. General manager John Dorsey recently said that Alex Smith “absolutely” would be the starter when the Chiefs begin play next season.

“We’ve said all along he’s the starter,’’ Dorsey said. “I don’t know what more you want to say. We have a playoff team. He’s led this franchise to three playoff seasons out of four, which is pretty good in my eyes.’’

So forget about the Chiefs pursuing Tony Romo, which seemed a long shot to begin with because of his massive contract. It also would rule out Nick Foles, last season’s backup. The NFL Network reported the Chiefs would decline to pick up the option on the final season of Foles’ contract, which is no surprise given their public stance on Smith.

Otherwise, the Chiefs still have work to do at quarterback. Their other QBs are Tyler Bray and Joel Stave. Bray has been with the Chiefs four seasons, though he never has played in a regular season game. The Chiefs obviously see potential in the talented Bray. They’ve kept him around a long time despite little return and at one point even extended his contract and bumped his salary before such a move became necessary.

But the fact the Chiefs felt it necessary to sign Foles as their backup last summer would indicate they weren’t comfortable at that point, at least, with Bray as their No. 2 quarterback.

Stave joined the Chiefs on their practice squad last year.

So the Chiefs have a veteran in Smith and a couple of developmental candidates in Bray and Stave. Look for them to add at least one more quarterback, whether that’s a veteran or a draft pick, before practice gets started in the spring.

Foles cap hit makes him the "favorite" to be the starter IMO.

But...Latest from ESPN Says Otherwise:

What will Chiefs do at No. 2 behind Alex Smith?

Teicher

9:08 AM PT

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Chiefs have ended whatever suspense there might have been about the identity of their starting quarterback in 2017. General manager John Dorsey recently said that Alex Smith “absolutely” would be the starter when the Chiefs begin play next season.

“We’ve said all along he’s the starter,’’ Dorsey said. “I don’t know what more you want to say. We have a playoff team. He’s led this franchise to three playoff seasons out of four, which is pretty good in my eyes.’’

So forget about the Chiefs pursuing Tony Romo, which seemed a long shot to begin with because of his massive contract. It also would rule out Nick Foles, last season’s backup. The NFL Network reported the Chiefs would decline to pick up the option on the final season of Foles’ contract, which is no surprise given their public stance on Smith.

Otherwise, the Chiefs still have work to do at quarterback. Their other QBs are Tyler Bray and Joel Stave. Bray has been with the Chiefs four seasons, though he never has played in a regular season game. The Chiefs obviously see potential in the talented Bray. They’ve kept him around a long time despite little return and at one point even extended his contract and bumped his salary before such a move became necessary.

But the fact the Chiefs felt it necessary to sign Foles as their backup last summer would indicate they weren’t comfortable at that point, at least, with Bray as their No. 2 quarterback.

Stave joined the Chiefs on their practice squad last year.

So the Chiefs have a veteran in Smith and a couple of developmental candidates in Bray and Stave. Look for them to add at least one more quarterback, whether that’s a veteran or a draft pick, before practice gets started in the spring.

and that is the real reason why foles will not be here next season

I will take 1 and done over 2-14. Just saying, you get to the dance and Brady gets hurt. Who knows. If we were at full strength who knows. It's a crap shoot. Playing with Brady on out team is not an option, so we are in the same spot as every other AFC team. If Bell would have went out like he did in the Patriots game, it could have been us there.

We can beat both teams that played in the SB, we have. First step is get to the dance.

Archived