Chiefs Announce 2017 Starting QB

What will Chiefs do at No. 2 behind Alex Smith?

9:08 AM

• Adam TeicherESPN Staff Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Chiefs have ended whatever suspense there might have been about the identity of their starting quarterback in 2017. General manager John Dorsey recently said that Alex Smith “absolutely” would be the starter when the Chiefs begin play next season.

“We’ve said all along he’s the starter,’’ Dorsey said. “I don’t know what more you want to say. We have a playoff team. He’s led this franchise to three playoff seasons out of four, which is pretty good in my eyes.’’

So forget about the Chiefs pursuing Tony Romo, which seemed a long shot to begin with because of his massive contract. It also would rule out Nick Foles, last season’s backup. The NFL Network reported the Chiefs would decline to pick up the option on the final season of Foles’ contract, which is no surprise given their public stance on Smith.

Otherwise, the Chiefs still have work to do at quarterback. Their other QBs are Tyler Bray and Joel Stave. Bray has been with the Chiefs four seasons, though he never has played in a regular season game. The Chiefs obviously see potential in the talented Bray. They’ve kept him around a long time despite little return and at one point even extended his contract and bumped his salary before such a move became necessary.

But the fact the Chiefs felt it necessary to sign Foles as their backup last summer would indicate they weren’t comfortable at that point, at least, with Bray as their No. 2 quarterback.

Stave joined the Chiefs on their practice squad last year.

So the Chiefs have a veteran in Smith and a couple of developmental candidates in Bray and Stave. Look for them to add at least one more quarterback, whether that’s a veteran or a draft pick, before practice gets started in the spring.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's funny...doesn't this go directly against Dorsey's mantra of "If there is ever a chance to upgrade at any position, we will look at all possibilities."?  This is most likely what's gonna happen, but I don't believe a word out of their mouths anymore.  Just look at the Eagles last season.  Between trades to move up in the draft, trades for QBs, injuries, you name it, they named like 9 starting quarterbacks...words spoken in February mean absolutely nothing...

- as suspected....they are sticking to continuity and gradual improvement.

I know more than one head will explode, but there is no better option for 2017.

w

i dont see how much more they can improve from a 12-4 season with a qb thats declining. They better build a top 3 defense then.    Captain Check down will not bail them out of many if any games.

Alex Smith is going to be the starting quarterback, according to Teicher, but more importantly according to Andy Reid. Since he is going to be the starter, the Chiefs will owe him $10.8 M in base salary. His original signing bonus is divided by the years in the contract, which is $3.6 M. This season he will make a bonus for being on the roster, which is another $2 M. Finally, he will also receive a $500 K bonus for working out (preseason). So, the entire cap this year will be $16.9 Million.

What this means is the Chiefs have a very big incentive to renegotiate Alex Smith's contract, and do this very soon. Why? Well, because at the official first day of the new NFL year, they will owe him $2M, and that part counts against the CAP, if they cut him, trade him, or renegotiate his contract.

Alex Smith's contract really blows up next season. If he is still on the team, and his contract has not yet been renegotiated, the Chiefs will have a $20.6 M cap hit. Of course, the following season, Alex Smith will be out of contract, and will become a free agent if the Chiefs have not extended him a contract.

Alex Smith has a very good reason to want to extend his contract, and play for Kansas City. He is tailor made for this offense, and Andy Reid has been very good for Alex. He will not receive the same consideration elsewhere. Smith may also wish to only play under one more contract.

So, let's say the Chiefs simply extend Alex Smith's contract the same extension they agreed to in 2014. http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/9/2/6098865/alex-smiths-contract-salary-cap-hit-kansas-city-chiefs Alex Smith may want more, but it is reasonable to expect the Chiefs will have the power to hold their ground.

2017 $8.7 M in cap savings

2018 $2.5 M in cap savings

2019 Alex Smith would have been lost to free agency, but with an extension Alex Smith only costs $17.7 M against their cap

2020 Alex Smith would have been playing elsewhere or retired if there weren't a deal. If a rookie quarterback was signed to replace him in 2017, he would be in his third year, and could be ready to take over. Smith could be dropped, and save $8.6 M in cap savings. However, if the rookie is not ready, the Chiefs would be in good shape to retain Smith.

2021 Alex Smith will be out of guaranteed money, and have only $3.6 M in carry over from the signing bonus. His cap hit will be at $20.1 M, so releasing him prior to the 2021 season saves the team $16.5 M against the cap.

- as suspected....they are sticking to continuity and gradual improvement.

I know more than one head will explode, but there is no better option for 2017.

w

I'm sure mine was one of the heads that was supposed to explode but I expected it. So the noggin is still intact.  And you are correct, if Bray and Stave are your choices and no other attempt is made to improve the position, then yes there is no better option in 17 probably 18 as well. It's the easy way out for Reid and Dorsey. Hope they don't try to use the line "We are always trying to improve at every position."

I'm sure mine was one of the heads that was supposed to explode but I expected it. So the noggin is still intact.  And you are correct, if Bray and Stave are your choices and no other attempt is made to improve the position, then yes there is no better option in 17 probably 18 as well. It's the easy way out for Reid and Dorsey. Hope they don't try to use the line "We are always trying to improve at every position."

If the QB depth chart is Smith, Bray and Stave than Andy and Dorsey should get a crap load of heat.

Media needs to grow some balls and hold them accountable if they pass on addressing an area of significant need.

I think at this point he wants a shot. Denver or Houston. Houston is similar to us with a good defense, good WRs to throw to. They just have a QB problem.

If I were him, I would pick Houston over Denver. Houston has the cap space. They could load more of the cap on Romo's second year, by giving him a low base salary the first year, but compensating that with a signing bonus. The following year, Houston can trade or release Osweiler. They will save $15 M in cap money in 2018. However, if they ditch Osweiler in 2017, it will cost them an additional $6M in cap space.

Just because Smith is the starter doesn't exclude drafting a QB, even in the first round.  There's no one in the draft that would be the starter over Smith this year that I can see.

How does anybody know if a drafted QB wouldn't be better. Is Smith above open competition? Prescott was better and he wasn't even a 1st rounder. 

How does anybody know if a drafted QB wouldn't be better. Is Smith above open competition? Prescott was better and he wasn't even a 1st rounder. 

Not saying some rookie couldn't be better than Smith, but it's highly unlikely that he would beat Smith out in his first TC.  Prescott started because Romo got hurt.  Look, I'm all for finding Smith's replacement and if he's better, then play him.  But there's no Luck, Manning, or Elway in this draft.  Someone may become that good, but it's not apparent now.  If the draft goes as I expect, there will be at least one of the top four QB available in the second round.  The Chiefs might do well by packaging their second and a third to move up in the second.  It's too early to guess how that might shake out or how far they would have to move up, maybe taking another pick, but it's possible.  If three QBs go in the top 20 or so picks, they could do the same in the first round but it would be expensive.

Denver has a lot of cap space for 2017, but they also have some of their own free agents to bring back. DeMarcus Ware, Russel Okung, Vance Walker, and Matt Paradis among others are important for Denver to retain. Okung wasn't perfect, but he was their LT, and Ty Sambrailo (who Denver picked in the draft) was abysmal. Denver wants Okung to take a pay cut. However, Okung is 29 years old, and well regarded before moving to Denver from Seattle. Denver has another problem at RT, where Donald Stephenson rotated in and out. Matt Paradis may have actually been their best player on the line (Center), but is having his second hip surgery in the offseason. He is a free agent.

The Broncos' offensive line wasn't very good, and they will have to spend a lot of money in free agency to be adequate. The only problem with Denver was not just QB. They have real issues on their entire OL. If I were Romo, Denver is off the list.

Archived