Bold offseason predicton

Why does everybody whine about the O line after 4 years of free agency and drafts?

Because the playoff caliber offensive line talent Dorsey has brought in hasn't survived to the post-season. The Chiefs came into this post-season with four-out-of-five, their best attendance yet. Then Fulton was awful, and Jah Reid gave up a strip-sack out of max protect.

We tolerated Ehinger because he was a rookie, and hopefully the injury to his knee won't do more damage to his development than his shaky starts as a rookie did for it. Having to play Fulton for a third year when he's clearly showing little-to-no improvement definitely generates frustration. Duvernay-Tardif occasionally brings punch for the run, and he's passable in pass protection, but I haven't see anything to suggest he's a top-12 right guard. If this season starts out with a healthy, confident, and stronger Ehinger at left guard and a free agent right guard who can be competent against A-gap and B-gap blitzes, I'd be OK. Nothing I've seen says either of the Chiefs guards not named Ehinger should start another game for the Chiefs.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because the playoff caliber offensive line talent Dorsey has brought in hasn't survived to the post-season. The Chiefs came into this post-season with four-out-of-five, their best attendance yet. Then Fulton was awful, and Jah Reid gave up a strip-sack out of max protect.

We tolerated Ehinger because he was a rookie, and hopefully the injury to his knee won't do more damage to his development than his shaky starts as a rookie did for it. Having to play Fulton for a third year when he's clearly showing little-to-no improvement definitely generates frustration. Duvernay-Tardif occasionally brings punch for the run, and he's passable in pass protection, but I haven't see anything to suggest he's a top-12 right guard. If this season starts out with a healthy, confident, and stronger Ehinger at left guard and a free agent right guard who can be competent against A-gap and B-gap blitzes, I'd be OK. Nothing I've seen says either of the Chiefs guards not named Ehinger should start another game for the Chiefs.

*Yawn*

I'm going to have to disagree.  I think Alex is a bad QB.

Over 50% of his production comes from YAC, and his very low air passing is a clear indicator that the team isn't winning off his arm.  The team has won from Dorsey finding some playmakers and Andy Reid having a well-built machine.  You know, the same system by the same dude people hate and wanted him fired. 

I think he has the ability to be average, and teetering towards being good but his own lack of self-confidence and complete unwillingness to risk losing the game to win the game makes him a bad QB.  A lot for the blame is heaped onto Andy for the conservative offense, but he's got plenty of track record that goes against that notion completely.   

The results have been pretty positive when he takes the risk, but he'll only do it if the risk is basically gone.  That's what makes him a bad QB. 

He got away with this for years by being a dual-threat QB to help keep the chains moving.  Now that his mobility is gone, they've turned into one of the worst teams on 3rd down.

The long-time narrative that one poster has been trying to forcefeed is that it's a team loss with a focus on the team if they lose the game and a team win, but the win was strongly influenced by a tiny handed QB.

almost every yard the pats get in the passing game is yac.  brady rarely throws the ball 10 yards downfield

almost every yard the pats get in the passing game is yac.  brady rarely throws the ball 10 yards downfield

Silly statement. Check out the attached video and look at air yards vs. YAC. Keep in mind he's like 60 now in his 40th year. He's had seasons with over 50 TDs and over 5000 yards. 5 Super Bowl wins. Brady has averaged 3600 yds/season. AA's best year ever was 3502 and his average is 2531. Brady has averaged 26 TDs per year AA's best year 23. He's averaged 14. So one is a Hall of Famer and the other is a dink & dunk journeyman. Comparing Brady to AA is goofy. But don't worry Peyton was a great QB. 

Thousands of yards of YAC, but it's cool, because it's Brady. But when it's Smith, and his coach is calling multiple screen plays every game, the YAC is a sign of Smith's ineptness.

Yes, it's inconsistent.

I'm gonna take a page from az, your schtick grows tiring.

Brady is a 40 year old QB so of course his arm strength has diminished a lot. He's old. Hitching Smiths wagon to Brady isn't helping your case.

You know why Bradyand Smith differ but you would have to admit you're wrong.

I'm gonna take a page from az, your schtick grows tiring.

Brady is a 40 year old QB so of course his arm strength has diminished a lot. He's old. Hitching Smiths wagon to Brady isn't helping your case.

You know why Bradyand Smith differ but you would have to admit you're wrong.

And Matt Ryan is...? No one had more yards after the catch per reception than his guys this year, but supposedly Matt Ryan is one of those guys everyone wants now.

You're still inconsistent, and you still can't see it. You're too busy making excuses to support a flawed premise to recognize that YAC IS A GOOD THING.

And Matt Ryan is...? No one had more yards after the catch per reception than his guys this year, but supposedly Matt Ryan is one of those guys everyone wants now.

You're still inconsistent, and you still can't see it. You're too busy making excuses to support a flawed premise to recognize that YAC IS A GOOD THING.

Who ever said YAC is bad? I said a QB is bad if he only passed for around 3500 yards and about 2k of it is YAC. It's the highest percentage of all starting QBs by a couple of points.

Dink and dunk has a significant role in nearly every offense. You seem to strongly believe that we're saying all short passing is evil and you couldn't be anymore wrong.

Keep flopping like a fish out of water.

Who ever said YAC is bad? I said a QB is bad if he only passed for around 3500 yards and about 2k of it is YAC. It's the highest percentage of all starting QBs by a couple of points.

Dink and dunk has a significant role in nearly every offense. You seem to strongly believe that we're saying all short passing is evil and you couldn't be anymore wrong.

Keep flopping like a fish out of water.

So it's not bad unless you say it's bad. A little arbitrary, no?

Why conceptually or otherwise should it be bad that a certain percentage of passing yardage is YAC?

To toss you a bone, Alex Smith wasn't lime this coming out of Utah.

Injuries and awful coaching wrecked him pretty bad and sapped his power. Harbaugh rolled in and turned him into a dink and dunk machine. He finally had success for about the first time in his pro career and won't let go of it because he doesn't want to hear we want carr pt 2.

He's just hit his ceiling here and Reid seems to be out of new tricks for him in this Offense. He probably needs to go somewhere else with a fresh concept before all his physical ability is gone for good.

Archived