I hope Ehinger takes his recovery time to work on learning how to snap, and work as a Center. Morse is already one of the best Centers in the NFL, but they could use someone to back him up. The Chiefs should be able to find a decent Guard in the draft.

Even with his weight struggles, Morse played pretty well. He lost weight throughout the season ending up in the high 260s. According to Grunny's conversation with him. He got past what I thought was a career killer. 2 concussions in his rookie year. I am really optimistic about him. He can learn to keep weight on and that will get easier with age.

Morse had a rather rough start and had some major whiffs early on the season and finally settled in down the stretch.

He hasn't yet proven he deserves an extension. He has played his position as one would expect of an undersized center in the league for only two seasons. He's not an improvement over Rodney Hudson, but in terms of bang for the buck, I'd take Morse over Hudson every time. Hudson will cost almost $7 million this year against the Raiders' cap. Morse will cost just over one-and-a-quarter million dollars. That differential is what might afford the Chiefs the money to make a move for an improvement over Laurent Duvernay-Tardif.

He hasn't yet proven he deserves an extension. He has played his position as one would expect of an undersized center in the league for only two seasons. He's not an improvement over Rodney Hudson, but in terms of bang for the buck, I'd take Morse over Hudson every time. Hudson will cost almost $7 million this year against the Raiders' cap. Morse will cost just over one-and-a-quarter million dollars. That differential is what might afford the Chiefs the money to make a move for an improvement over Laurent Duvernay-Tardif.

Hudson was never worth the 9 mil avg he got from Oakland and it hasn't helped that he has missed some time.

Morse is a top 10 Center when he's on his game. Chiefs have a lot of salary cap work to do to be able to afford another high paid lineman.

Hudson was never worth the 9 mil avg he got from Oakland and it hasn't helped that he has missed some time.

Morse is a top 10 Center when he's on his game. Chiefs have a lot of salary cap work to do to be able to afford another high paid lineman.

The best way to recover cap space? Unload players that are persistently injured and overpaid in the first place. The Chiefs may ultimately lose Morse because of the Houston deal.

The best way to recover cap space? Unload players that are persistently injured and overpaid in the first place. The Chiefs may ultimately lose Morse because of the Houston deal.

They should have no issues keeping Morse.

Unloading DJ, Hali and eventually Maclin (when Tyreek is primed to take his spot) and dump the 20 million for 3400 yrds and 15 TDs gives them lots of flexibility.

Rough math shows that if they shed all the dead weight, they could go into next March with 60-70 million in cap space.

Mitch Morse has this year, and next under his rookie contract. Then he becomes a RFA. So, I don't get that we cannot afford him, or will lose him anytime soon.

I know he has two years left. Your observation was that Morse could be one of the best centers in the league. The Chiefs are dealing with cap issues in part because of overpaying to retain best-in-league-class players. As was the case when Rodney Hudson left, if Morse is going to demand big money for the center position, his value-to-dollar ratio is going to drop significantly.

My argument here is the same as it is for safeties like Eric Berry: Centers are rather easily replaced at a minimal draft capital cost. You shouldn't pay top dollar for merely a great player at a position whose top-level pay is many orders above the rookie pay-grade. A lot of these centers come into the league pro-ready. There's much to learn, but it's not as hard to project who will be good as it would be with other positions.

I guess you want players to perform worse than expected in order to pay them less? :blink:

No. I want players to perform at a high level, but more importantly, I want them to be responsive to coaching.

I don't want to see a team with a collection of physically talented individuals. A winning football team doesn't need six players who are the best in the league at their respective position. I want to see quality football players that have sufficient talent and football knowledge to execute the schemes they are assigned.

In a nutshell, I want a team of 53 players that is better than the sum of its parts. A best-in-the-league punter, a best-in-the-league pass rushing linebacker constantly on the sideline due to injury, and a best-in-the league safety would all be relatively insignificant additions to a team of 53 applying a cap structure that refuses to pay slightly-better-than-role-players as All Stars. For the most part, this is exactly what the Patriots have: Guys that do their job. Some finish their contracts in New England and get paid elsewhere, and they drop off in production even as they are quickly replaced on the Patriots' roster with players that go on to have success. 

Archived