Hypothetical trade

Dee Ford for Brandin Cooks?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Would you make the trade?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would you make the trade if it was Dee Ford and a midround pick for Cooks?

• Yes
    • No

No, execution of well-designed routes is what gets players open. This is why Tyreek Hill is a gadget player and a nine-route runner. He should progress to be more, but he's not that guy. Maclin is that guy, but he had an off year. Conley is catching up after a busted rookie campaign and a sophomore season that was significantly better. All of these players could contribute more if Smith wasn't having to throw the ball just as the receivers are barely out of their break five yards off of scrimmage. Smith is having to execute plays before they are fully developed. You're glossing over the effect a poor interior line has on overall passing offense. Guards matter.

The Chiefs didn't win a Super Bowl, but they've played more post-season games in the last four years than most NFL teams have. If you think that's worth nothing, that's up to you. A lot of owners would gladly trade their head coach for Andy Reid, just like Andy Reid gladly traded to get Alex Smith.

Wow, of all the posts you ever have made, I actually have found something to agree with.

Good guards are the most important piece, outside of QB, to running a highly effective WCO in my opinion. The QB has to not have pressure in his face trying to hit all the shallow crosses and he needs to be able to step up into a pocket to deliver down the field to keep defenses honest.

On that note, I'm not giving you a pass on Smith not having quality pockets. While the guards MUST be improved, Smith most often bailed on good pockets in 5-step drops instead of stepping up into them and throwing strikes down the field. Smith doesn't do it well, never has, and likely never will. It's the main reason teams can stack the box on KC and the main reason I don't like Smith. It doesn't matter how good your guards are if your QB won't step up into a clean pocket anyhow. And that, by the way, is what makes your comparison with Brady so completely ridiculous.

Wow, of all the posts you ever have made, I actually have found something to agree with.

Good guards are the most important piece, outside of QB, to running a highly effective WCO in my opinion. The QB has to not have pressure in his face trying to hit all the shallow crosses and he needs to be able to step up into a pocket to deliver down the field to keep defenses honest.

On that note, I'm not giving you a pass on Smith not having quality pockets. While the guards MUST be improved, Smith most often bailed on good pockets in 5-step drops instead of stepping up into them and throwing strikes down the field. Smith doesn't do it well, never has, and likely never will. It's the main reason teams can stack the box on KC and the main reason I don't like Smith. It doesn't matter how good your guards are if your QB won't step up into a clean pocket anyhow. And that, by the way, is what makes your comparison with Brady so completely ridiculous.

Bingo

Agreed. To often, we just get beat inside on a pass rush especially if there is a stunt or blitz. But that doesn't seem to be when Smith bails. He seems to bail at the most inexplicable times when he could step up and get 2 or 3 more seconds. I just don't get it. Maybe bad blocking has set off a 3 or 4 second panic alarm in his head.

I will say it does matter though because you have to be able to run the ball regardless of who your QB is. Especially when you have 1st and goal at the 1 or 3rd and 1. You have got to be able to pound out a yard at least 50% of the time. We just can't move the D line off the LOS.

Agreed. To often, we just get beat inside on a pass rush especially if there is a stunt or blitz. But that doesn't seem to be when Smith bails. He seems to bail at the most inexplicable times when he could step up and get 2 or 3 more seconds.

And those occasions usually seem to follow soon after something bad happens to Smith because he trusted his offensive line. He's spent his entire career trying to trust his offensive line and getting absolutely punished for it.

Man, if only the guys at Jiffy Lube didn't make Alex inconvenienced that week he would of lit it up

What does draining an oil pan have to do with leaky offensive lines? The guy at Jiffy Lube pulls the oil plug only after multiple counter-clockwise turns. To get past Zach Fulton, it only takes a half-turn, either clockwise or counter-clockwise, to get the job done.

Archived