Semo Mock V.2

1 – David Njoku TE Miami 6'4" 245lbs

If Smith is to remain the man (and it looks like he is), KC needs to acquire more short to mid-range talent.  Njoku is an absolute freak that, along with Kelce, could make 2 TE sets difficult to defend.  Size, speed athlete.  Can line up anywhere.  Will blow up the Combine.  High jump champ.  Needs to improve blocking.

2 – Obi Melifonwu S UConn  6'4" 219lbs

Another physical freak that could have a Byron Jones type Combine that could vault him into round one.  Tackling machine, who is "good enough" in coverage.  Has experience at corner. 

3 – Nathan Peterman QB Pittsburgh  6’2”  225lbs

Probably needs a year or two to be ready, but has all of the tools.  Large hands, strong, accurate arm.  Sets his feet well and has an quick release.  Accurate. Don't know if he makes it to this pick.

3 – (comp) – Marlon Mack RB South Florida  5'11" 205lbs

Without a stacked running back class, he probably goes in round two.  Big play potential every time he touches the ball.  Plus speed and agility.  Needs to stay disciplined in his running lanes and not try to bounce it outside. 

4 – Hunter Dimick DE/OLB Utah  6’3”  269lbs

Situational pass rusher.  Plays the run well. 

5 –  Marquel Lee ILB Wake Forest  6'3" 240lbs

Ideally, this position is filled by Cunningham in round one.  I question whether he will be there at 27.  Or, free agency fills this spot.  Lee has the size and traits to get on the field.  Questions with speed and coverage.  Has to play close to the line.  If he gets coached up, he could work into a solid backup.

5 - (comp) - Brendan Langley CB Lamar 6’0”  199lbs

Transferred from Georgia to play corner.  Checks all of the size-speed boxes, but very raw.  Depth.

6 - forfeited

6 – (comp) – Ben Braden OG Michigan 6'6" 335lbs

Depth at OG.  Plays stiff and needs to work on hand usage, and punch.

6 – (comp) – Garrett Sickels DE/OLB Penn St.  6’4”  260lbs

Another situational pass rusher.  Needs to get stronger.  More depth.

7 – Jonathon McLaughlin OT/OG Virginia Tech  6'5"  313lbs

Project, probably kick inside to guard.  Practice squad candidate.

I could see a TE in this draft, but not one in round 1. Not when you just signed Kelce to a monster contract and is your clear #1. Other than that, I've mocked alot of these guys this year and have zero problems with the rest. I'd rather see the Chiefs take a sure-fire guard in round 1 than a #2 TE.

There is no sure thing Guard unless you're insisting on t-rex arms man.

I see the Chiefs either going QB or Defense early. Lamp is a very low ceiling kind of talent and that's a player that Dorsey doesn't go for with the top pick.

He's taken nothing but high ceiling players.

I wouldn't call fisher that

Dan Feeney might be a good fit. I looked through my notes, and I don't see an unusual amount of short armed Guards. It isn't a stellar year for OL, but it isn't horrible either. They can find talent in this draft.

The biggest issue with teams is forcing it to meet their needs. Chris Jones is a prime example of what to do. The Chiefs did not seem to need a DE in the draft. When people saw the Chiefs picked Jones, they immediately tried to turn him into a NT. The truth was Dorsey picked the best man up, and that was Chris Jones. As it turned out, Howard, and Bailey went down to injuries, and Chris Jones had a fantastic rookie season. He is an incredible talent.

This is why the Chiefs are hard to figure out in the draft, and that is not a bad thing. If there isn't a good fit or value at a supposed need, Dorsey is likely to do something other. Dorsey went heavy for defensive backs in the draft in 2016. He missed with KeiVarne Russell. It wasn't as if other teams had Russell lower Russell was thought to be a really good player, and he is still trying to hang on with the Bengals. He was not good enough to make the Chiefs. Dorsey went for Murray, and D J White later in the draft. He did a three way trade with Seattle and AZ to find another corner. Then found Terrence Mitchell off the trash heaps.

John Dorsey began his career in the NFL as a scout, and director of scouting. He knows talent, and is very good at finding pieces that work. When someone is brought in, and does not work out, he cuts the strings quickly. That is a good thing. Carl Peterson used to try to justify his mistakes by keeping players on the team longer than they deserved, perhaps just to prove he did not make a mistake.

Whatever Dorsey does in the draft will be good enough for me. At this point he has earned my respect.

Feeney is a decent prospect, but his concussion situation is a major red flag. He has the athleticism to be a pulling Guard, but not anywhere enough power to be a strong power RG.

This Guard class is shit.

I only see like 1 Guard that might be worth taking to compete with Ldt. This class is really not good.

Feeney is a decent prospect, but his concussion situation is a major red flag. He has the athleticism to be a pulling Guard, but not anywhere enough power to be a strong power RG.

This Guard class is shit.

I only see like 1 Guard that might be worth taking to compete with Ldt. This class is really not good.

Lots of tackles in this class project to be dominate guards instead of below average to average right tackles, such as Dawkins, Bisnowaty, Robinson, Lamp, and Moton to name a few. And Feeney is an absolute beast of a RG, ridiculous take on him IMO.

I'm not saying I advocate taking any one of them round 1, but what I am saying is that I'd rather see that type of pick than a fucking #2 TE.

Lots of tackles in this class project to be dominate guards instead of below average to average right tackles, such as Dawkins, Bisnowaty, Robinson, Lamp, and Moton to name a few. And Feeney is an absolute beast of a RG, ridiculous take on him IMO.

I'm not saying I advocate taking any one of them round 1, but what I am saying is that I'd rather see that type of pick than a fucking #2 TE.

I stand by my notion that Freeney is just a solid guy, who lacks strength and has a major flag with concussions. Decent Nose Tackles are going to maul him until he has some time to spend in a nfl offseason training plan.

I should of added more onto my claim as in this class is butt if you want a sure fire power RG. I don't see it. With that said, I am kinda intrigued with Moton.

Fuck no to Lamp, but would still bw better pick than a back up TE. He's still more of a guy that needs to be in a ZBS scheme.

Agree with Crow, Feeney is a stud. Could have gone in the first two rounds coming out as a junior.

Possibly. I think his biggest issue is the concussion and its gonna sink his value some.

I'm not opposed to taking him in the 3rd, but I don't think the guy will beat Ldt for his job right away. They will need to spend some FA cash if you want an instant upgrade.

No body was blown away with Morse or Ehinger before the draft. I suspect Dorse will find a starter at RG, ILB and safety.

I really liked Morse, and I think he's solid. I'm still not blown away by Ehinger. While he was better than Fulton, I didn't see anything great there yet. We'll see what he does the next couple seasons.

I stand by my notion that Freeney is just a solid guy, who lacks strength and has a major flag with concussions. Decent Nose Tackles are going to maul him until he has some time to spend in a nfl offseason training plan.

I should of added more onto my claim as in this class is butt if you want a sure fire power RG. I don't see it. With that said, I am kinda intrigued with Moton.

Fuck no to Lamp, but would still bw better pick than a back up TE. He's still more of a guy that needs to be in a ZBS scheme.

Possibly. I think his biggest issue is the concussion and its gonna sink his value some.

I'm not opposed to taking him in the 3rd, but I don't think the guy will beat Ldt for his job right away. They will need to spend some FA cash if you want an instant upgrade.

I think he's knocked too much by Lance Zierlein on his power blocking ability. Kid drives people out of the hole. That said, Dorian Johnson is probably my top ranked guard.

To me, a lot is made of how strong a player is, but it really comes down to core strength, and fluid hips. When the hips can't move, players tend to get out of position. When a player can lift a lot of weight, but has no core strength, they can easily have their power used against them, and become unbalanced. That is a little bit of LDT's problem. He is a bit stiff in the hips, and needed better core strength. As a rookie, and later in his second year, he reached for blocks too much.

I posted a Vandy guy that is a little unknown. I think he is a compelling pick because he has good core strength, and fluid hips. He is rated as a OT, and regarded to be a RT, but he can actually play all five positions on the line. Take a look at William Holden. He is probably too tall to get good leverage at Center, and is too slow footed to play LT, but he can be a good utility OL guy.

I think Ehinger (if he recovers from his ACL) will be adequate at LG. LDT is a work in progress, but he has gotten better every year. I still think he has the potential to improve. Schwartz seals the RT. Morse is very good at Center. Fish is mediocre, but serviceable at LT.

As was mentioned, the biggest issues are LG, RG, Center, and a QB who knows how to use the pocket.

Archived