Gruden discusses the top QB's in this years draft

ESPN’s Super Bowl-winning coach and Monday Night Football analyst discusses each of the quarterbacks who will be part of his eighth Gruden’s QB Camp:

Josh Dobbs: “Dobbs is a dual threat. He’s from a no-huddle offense. He can really create plays with his legs. He played some of his best football when the team was behind and when the game was on the line. He brought the Volunteers back to win from double-digit deficits more than any guy in the country. He’s a great kid, very intelligent, and I think he caught peoples’ attention at the Senior Bowl.”

Brad Kaaya: “Kaaya is interesting. The Hurricanes combine the I-formation with the college spread system, and he’s an accurate passer. He got hit a lot this year, but when he has protection, he can throw the football. He relies on timing and he’s going to be a pocket-passer for someone who really wants to accentuate that.”

Deshon Kizer: “Kizer is an underclassman like a lot of these guys. He has perhaps the biggest arm in this draft. He can really throw the football. Notre Dame had a difficult season and I am a little bit surprised that Kizer is coming out, but he can do some damage with his arm and he has some athleticism.”

Pat Mahomes: “Another underclassman, Mahomes is the guy who has really popped off the film for me. He’s very athletic – a baseball player. They throw it every single play at Texas Tech. He can get rid of the ball from awkward positions with a lot on it. He’s a gunslinger.”

Nathan Peterman: “Peterman is a transfer from Tennessee. Coach (Pat) Narduzzi at Pitt recruited Kirk Cousins to Michigan State and I heard he compares Peterman to Cousins. He’s a pocket-passer. They run a very creative offense at Pitt and this is the one guy who beat Clemson – and they did it on the road. He’s one of the most improved quarterbacks in the country this year.”

Mitch Trubisky: “Trubisky is a lot more athletic than people think. He can run for first downs and touchdowns. If you look at him on tape, he displays some real courage. He’s stay in the pocket under intense fire and throws strikes. I just wish I had more film of him. He’s had just one year of work, but I am impressed with him.”

Deshaun Watson: “Watson has the best resume of anyone. He has an unbelievable amount of production and an impressive record – 32 wins in three years as a starter. He shredded some of the best teams in the country. He’s a dual threat with loads of intangibles. I am really looking forward to working with him to see how he spins it.”

On the overall 2017 QB Camp class: “There’s some unknowns this year, but this class starts with Deshaun Watson. His body of work is as impressive as any quarterback we’ve had come through QB Camp. I got the chance to see him live and I think he has a ton of ability. There are some underclassmen coming out who have questions that need to be answered. That’s why this process is exciting. But three or four years from now, I expect people will be saying this is a pretty good quarterback class.”

Realistically, only 1 or 2 of these guys are going to be average starters in the NFL and none will probably be elite. So do you take what's left of the bunch even if the guys you think are hits are gone? It could be a very Cleavelandish waste of a first round pick.

I just don't see a QB in the first. Unless they are crazy about Mahoney. Especially if Taco is there. Who doesn't like Tacos?

No offense at all DieHard, but at some point you have to take a shot. This team really doesn't have a pressing need and the one's that are close to it are day 2 values (ILB, OG).

This whole "next year" thought process really has to stop. There are plenty of guys in this draft with traits that you can develop. They are all Juniors. You have to take time with the whole group, but that doesn't mean none are worth a 1st. I'd argue that 4 are worth a 1st and 2 are worth a 2nd in this crop. The questions that I can't answer will be answered at the combine. While they all have the arms, do they have the smarts? How well they see defensive formations, and can adapt, as well as pick up complex playbooks are big deals. Teams just have to take them knowing they probably aren't ready year 1 from a pure development standpoint anyhow.

As for Taco, he is a 4-3 only DE in my opinion. Doesn't fit a 3-4 in any capacity. He's long, doesn't move well in space, and is more of a worker than a burst type.

I was just kidding about Taco. But you have a great point. You can't argue that (except for Brady) Super Bowl rings are worn by 1st round QBs. There are many bad ones. Damn. But rarely does an elite QB come from outside the first round. Man I hope we can hit it.

Gruden is known for his ability to polish a turd, and make it gleam. The strength of this draft year is TE, DL, and secodary. There are some interior lineman as well. It is not a great year for QB, WR, or T.

The trick in building a team is to be able to evaluate talent, and get the best value for the picks allocated.

Gruden is known for his ability to polish a turd, and make it gleam. The strength of this draft year is TE, DL, and secodary. There are some interior lineman as well. It is not a great year for QB, WR, or T.

The trick in building a team is to be able to evaluate talent, and get the best value for the picks allocated.

This draft is loaded with WRs.

No offense at all DieHard, but at some point you have to take a shot. This team really doesn't have a pressing need and the one's that are close to it are day 2 values (ILB, OG).

I suppose the team doesn't need a pass-rushing outside linebacker to replace the old guy and the guy with the persistently bum knee, nor an inside linebacker to replace the guy with multiple achilles tears, nor a top-end interior lineman less likely to be shoved around every time the quarterback takes a snap.

At some point, you have to take a shot just because, as there are fans unqualified to work in the NFL that ought to be appeased. Or not.

You take a QB when you need a QB and one is available that fits your Offense. It's really that simple.

And the consensus is that there isn't one. But some want to draft one anyway and think that hope is going to make things turn out well. Optimism for optimism's sake is a fool's hope.

You take a QB when you need a QB and one is available that fits your Offense. It's really that simple.

So we haven't needed a QB and there haven't been any QBs available in the last 50 years? I know next year. But we'll get another cast off from another team because he's the "best available" and people will be happy for 3, 4 and unfortunately 5 years. Rinse. Repeat. 

And the consensus is that there isn't one. But some want to draft one anyway and think that hope is going to make things turn out well. Optimism for optimism's sake is a fool's hope.

I don't think you know what the actual consensus is.

So we haven't needed a QB and there haven't been any QBs available in the last 50 years? I know next year. But we'll get another cast off from another team because he's the "best available" and people will be happy for 3, 4 and unfortunately 5 years. Rinse. Repeat.

The Chiefs have needed a QB for the longest time, but they continue to foolishly believe that they can win with safe and conservative QB play.

I suppose the team doesn't need a pass-rushing outside linebacker to replace the old guy and the guy with the persistently bum knee, nor an inside linebacker to replace the guy with multiple achilles tears, nor a top-end interior lineman less likely to be shoved around every time the quarterback takes a snap.

At some point, you have to take a shot just because, as there are fans unqualified to work in the NFL that ought to be appeased. Or not.

You must be the dumbest goddamned motherfucker I've ever seen.

Clearly I've stated that ILB is a need. I've clearly stated elsewhere that OLB is a depth need. I've also clearly stated that DL is a depth need. Check my mock draft and see what positions I select dumbfuck. Why don't you go stick your head squarely up your dumb motherfucking fat 49er ass and get the fuck out of here?

You must be the dumbest goddamned motherfucker I've ever seen.

Clearly I've stated that ILB is a need. I've clearly stated elsewhere that OLB is a depth need. I've also clearly stated that DL is a depth need. Check my mock draft and see what positions I select dumbfuck. Why don't you go stick your head squarely up your dumb motherfucking fat 49er ass and get the fuck out of here?

Calm down bro. It's CTO not the LR. I'd suggest the ignore feature.

Clearly I've stated that ILB is a need. I've clearly stated elsewhere that OLB is a depth need. I've also clearly stated that DL is a depth need.

• Derrick Johnson is done. Josh Mauga's contract has expired. With both inside linebackers of a 3-4 defense gone, and with their replacements sorely lacking in talent, the Chiefs need more talent and football ability than can be found in a day-three linebacker more acquainted with the tub than with meeting ball carriers at the line like Johnson did.

• Dee Ford is on year four of his four-year contract. Justin Houston 2017 will never be the Justin Houston that was given a contract north of $100 million. Tamba Hali couldn't play 10% of defensive snaps in the playoffs. Outside linebacker is not "a depth need".

• The Chiefs have Allen Bailey, Jaye Howard, and Chris Jones as their current 2017 starters. With two of those three not available in the post-season, it became evident that the Chiefs needed better depth on the defensive line, including especially depth that could spell those players and still play at a competent level. Howard has one year left on his contract. Defensive line is not "a depth need".

But who did your mock list as the first pick of the draft? A quarterback that projects as a throwing runningback. The Chiefs have far bigger needs than that.

• Derrick Johnson is done. Josh Mauga's contract has expired. With both inside linebackers of a 3-4 defense gone, and with their replacements sorely lacking in talent, the Chiefs need more talent and football ability than can be found in a day-three linebacker more acquainted with the tub than with meeting ball carriers at the line like Johnson did.

• Dee Ford is on year four of his four-year contract. Justin Houston 2017 will never be the Justin Houston that was given a contract north of $100 million. Tamba Hali couldn't play 10% of defensive snaps in the playoffs. Outside linebacker is not "a depth need".

• The Chiefs have Allen Bailey, Jaye Howard, and Chris Jones as their current 2017 starters. With two of those three not available in the post-season, it became evident that the Chiefs needed better depth on the defensive line, including especially depth that could spell those players and still play at a competent level. Howard has one year left on his contract. Defensive line is not "a depth need".

But who did your mock list as the first pick of the draft? A quarterback that projects as a throwing runningback. The Chiefs have far bigger needs than that.

your opinions would be a lot more compelling if you stick to the facts...you don't know if DJ is "done" or if Houston  will "never be".. you may strongly believe that but that's it.

and explain please how D-Line Depth is not a "need" when as you said in the very same breath that "With two of those three not available in the post-season, it became evident that the Chiefs needed better depth on the defensive line, including especially depth that could spell those players and still play at a competent level."

• Dee Ford is on year four of his four-year contract. Justin Houston 2017 will never be the Justin Houston that was given a contract north of $100 million. Tamba Hali couldn't play 10% of defensive snaps in the playoffs. Outside linebacker is not "a depth need".

I don't think DJ is done. Maybe, we will see. I am not mourning the loss of Mauga. Mitchell is better now and has more upside to develop.

Houston will be fine. Hali is aging and close to done. Ford is a 3rd and long pass rusher. That's it. He is a huge liability in the run. He is a role player and will not be a big loss.

But like everyone, we hav a lot of needs.

your opinions would be a lot more compelling if you stick to the facts...you don't know if DJ is "done" or if Houston  will "never be".. you may strongly believe that but that's it.

and explain please how D-Line Depth is not a "need"

My mistake: I didn't complete the sentence: The starting positions at outside linebacker and defensive line need to be upgraded. They are not merely, as kccrow called them, "a depth need".

Archived