Chiefs pick up four compensatory picks, including a 3rd rounder

The Kansas City Chiefs picked up four extra draft picks. The NFL announced the compensatory picks and the Chiefs were awarded four - a third, fifth and two sixth rounders. This gives the Chiefs 10 picks in the 2017 NFL Draft (they lost a sixth in the Maclin tampering case).

The #Chiefs were awarded four compensatory picks this year.

3rd round - No. 104
5th round - No. 182
6th round - No. 218
6th round - No. 220

The Chiefs were one of four teams with the max four comp picks. Here’s the list of all the comp picks to 16 teams. The more shots you get in the draft, the better. This is great news for the Chiefs, especially because you can now trade comp picks. The Chiefs can do quite a bit in this draft if they want.

Compensatory picks are awarded if you lost more free agents the year before than you gained. These are true free agents where their contracts expire, not the ones that are cut.

The free agents bringing in these picks are Sean SmithChase DanielDonald Stephensonand Tyvon Branch.

First, the Chiefs should have taken Conley out. Second, the opposing player should have been more harshly disciplined for targeting Conley, and helmet to helmet contact. Third, Goodell is godawful toward KC as a commissioner, but the NFL has a record of this. Nothing new.

Definitely. I think they will look to move up in the first or second. Probably not enough to get a QB, but who knows who slides.

They could move up high enough in the second to get a QB.  It's just hard to get a handle on how the top four or five QB will go in the draft.  Nearly all are projected for the 1-2 round but the talking heads can't agree on where on in what order they will fall.  I think moving up in the first is just too expensive for anything short of a sure thing QB and there's not one in this draft.

I'll take a stab at where I think QBs will land later.

I actually anticipate the Chiefs trying to trade down and rack up more picks. I don't really see much of a drop off from the last first through the 3rd round. This year is a great draft to have as many selections in the first 110 picks as you can get.

Reminds me of the 2009 draft.

There are a few quarterbacks worth a look late in the draft. There is a reasonable risk/reward line. This year the risk/reward for the first round is not there. Mahomes may be worth a look, but definitely not high in the first round. A lot of people like Davis Webb. He had a hard break at Texas Tech, but if he was better, an injury would not have put him behind Mahomes. So, Webb graduated, and was able to move on to Cal. I feel Mahomes has a much better shot at making it than Webb. Webb made a lot of mistakes with reads at TT, and did the same at Cal. Mahomes can read, and react better. He is not sure thing either. There is a reason Texas Tech has never produced a NFL QB that did anything, despite their big college numbers. They produce system quarterbacks, and lots of what they learn has to be unlearned. Mahomes has the swagger, but he tosses a lot of bad throws, has horrible footwork, and carries the ball loose, and low.

The reason I like Evans is he is fairly untouched. That is bad and good. He hasn't learned a lot of bad habits, but is a real work in progress. He needed to stay in college, but astutely knew this was his shot. If he gets in the right situation, he can learn more from the NFL than playing under VA Tech OC Cornelsen, and that is no knock on Cornelsen. Cornelsen was responsible for developing Lynch at Memphis, and is a very good QB developer. However, the system they operate in college is radically different from anything in the NFL, and especially at a very sophisticated offense, such as in Andy Reid's offense.

Evans is intelligent. He was accepted to the Air force Academy, but had an ACL injury his freshman year. He went home to Mansfield, recovered, and went to a community college nearby. In 2016, Evans accepted an offer to play for Virginia Tech. So, he has only one season on record, but it was impressive. He ran the ball for 846 yards, and passed for 3552 more. He struck pay dirt on 29 passes, and reached the end zone by foot on 12 more scores. Yet, he only threw 8 interceptions, and garnered a 153.1 passer efficiency rating. He narrowly lost to Clemson in the final regular season game. His worst game was at Tennessee, but he bounced back the following week with a rout over Boston College, and an all time passer efficiency record of 225.0. In that game, he connected on 70% of his attempted passes for 5 touchdowns, and had 1 INT. He also ran 9 times for 48 yards. His biggest issue seems to be fumbling the ball. In fact, it was the whole team. In the first two games VT lost 9 fumbles. That is primarily why UT beat them so bad. However, they appeared to clean that up, losing fewer than 1 fumble on average for the remaining games.

The Giants are looking at Evans in the draft. He is not currently ready to go. Although, I do believe he is the best QB in the entire draft. He has a strong arm, quick, compact release, and decent footwork. He handles the ball loose at times, but is a patient, smart runner, who sets up blocks, and makes the best use of his efforts without taking too much physical risk. He has size. I think he will play at around 240 lbs in the NFL, and he is a little under 6'4". He is well proportioned. Thick legs, good size chest, and arms. He resembles a slightly smaller version of Cam Newton. Cam is more chiseled. 

57bcf564b3606.image.jpg?resize=300%2C423vs Newton_trucking_medium.jpg

Here is a story about Jerod Evans' family. He is a middle child in a large family (9 kids), and their family has done well. He has an older brother, who went to college, and a sister. His father owns an insurance company. One of their children almost died of SIDS, and is impaired mentally. His you younger brother is a senior in high school, and will play quarterback in college too. http://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas/2015/12/03/bishop-dunne-quarterback-latest-in-long-line-of-athlete-achievers-watches-over-little-brother

Another story here. http://www.roanoke.com/sports/columns_and_blogs/blogs/andy_bitter_virginia_tech_football/juco-coach-on-hokies-qb-commit-jerod-evans-everybody-knew/article_e1119d2c-a287-11e5-b5b9-5bc1ac1bd217.html

The best situation for Evans will be to sit behind a proven QB, and learn from others. He has a good head on his shoulders. He is a leader, and teammates look up to him. He needs to learn how to go beyond the first read. He has to become more calm in the pocket, and less willing to take off, and run. Some of his longer throws have been inaccurate (overthrown). He has exhibited nice touch on his passes, and throws a tight spiral. He just needs to season in the right situation.

And another story... http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/virginia-tech/family-namely--year-old-brother-motivates-tech-qb-jerod/article_3627f8b4-7ada-5b00-a640-d386165d8416.html

A bright kid  http://gazette.com/air-force-coaches-find-success-selling-post-graduation-life-to-recruits/article/132776

Archived