Draft Mock 3.14

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not as high on McCaffrey as others. I think that if you want a gadget player like him, Curtis Samuel will give you more bang for your buck.

He is not a gadget player. He is going to make defenders look stoopid in the NFL. I think he's more of a combo rb/slot than E though.

As deep as the RB class is, I wouldn't trade up that high and no way do I give up a 2nd to make E's trade.

However the kid is special. The movement skills he put on display at the combine were sick. By far the best in this class.

He would add a whole new dimension to our offense so I would not be pissed if it went down like that.

He is not a gadget player. He is going to make defenders look stoopid in the NFL. I think he's more of a combo rb/slot than E though.

As deep as the RB class is, I wouldn't trade up that high and no way do I give up a 2nd to make E's trade.

However the kid is special. The movement skills he put on display at the combine were sick. By far the best in this class.

He would add a whole new dimension to our offense so I would not be pissed if it went down like that.

Gadget player my ass.

He's not a gadget player but you see him being used as one? Okay.

That line isn't an indicator of him not being talented. I never said that he didn't have great athleticism.

In fact, that's why he's going to have a gadget player type of role. He's going to get a lot of touches out of the back field, lining up as a receiver and as a returner. He's going to be an offensive swiss army knife.

Samuel is going to be the same way and I am very intrigued with his pure speed. Lots of Percy Harvin in him, with hopefully more durability.

With the RB workouts in the books, I think McCaffrey has a shot at being the 2nd RB taken. Dalvin Cook had a pretth horrible performance for a guy that was expected to contend for that top slot.

This going to be one wild draft. There are at least two hot receivers. There are three TEs that are round 1 picks. The best player is a 4-3 DE with ideal size, and the physical skills that could translate to a 3-4 OLB. There are some nice safeties, and corners. Oh, and maybe the best RB since Peterson in Fournette. Plus, there are at least ten running backs that will be playing major minutes in the NFL this season.

The  only thing not sure about the draft is the ready to go QB situation. Watson may come closest. I know a lot of people are hyping Trubisky, but I think Watson is better. Quarterbacks may be developmental in this draft, but there are plenty of them. Likely three QBs in the first round, and another two in the second. By the end of the fifth round, there will be another two that may go by late third. Bethard is going to make some squad. Seth Russell has had a lot of hard luck, but he is worth a fifth round pick. I don't see one who stands out  as a sure thing, but there are plenty guys that you can work with.

The three tragic things that are making it difficult for quarterbacks to come in, and start right away are the demise of the European league, the spread formation offense, and a rush to leave college early. These guys come in as dual purpose QBs out of HS, and have to pick things up in two years, the come to the NFL, where they suddenly have to learn how to take a five step drop from under Center. Not many have their mechanics worked out. Their physical size is not yet established, and there is no place to really learn their craft. Plus, the rules teams have to adhere to make training an formative candidate nearly impossible. The coaches' hands are tied. 

The more I watch from Jerod Evans, the more long-term project I see and him being taken far too early in your draft.

Things I like:

-He will step up and stick with beinga pocket passer. Thisis more of a rare trait as time goes by.

-Good athlete with a live arm

Things I don't like:

The kid is raw, extremely raw. I wonder who advised him to leave Virginia Tech because he's not ready. He really, really should have returned for another season.

His anticipation just isn't thereand it's extremely noticeable that he doesn't trust his own anticipation. He seems quite unsure about when he should let that ball go and will pull it back in to think about it some more. He's gonna get lit up as a pro doing that.

Sloppy footwork, throwing motion is off and loses his focus nearly completely when the pressure is o him. He does well keeping his eyes down the field while on the run, as long as the heat isn't on.

I waw more impressed with the Justin Fuente system than I was about Jerod Evans. I like the athletic ability, the arm and his size. I just don't see enough potential to really get excited.

Looks like a 5th-6th rounder to me and his range really comes down to just how much you like that potential. He's going to have to learn the QB position completely and will need to be a #3 QB for years.

I'm not against drafting him completely. Especially with a coach like Andy Reid. He's just not a guy I would take before lunchtime on Saturday and certainly wouldn't be the first QB I would choose.

The Chiefs are a little bit dire at the position to hitch their wagon to him. I think his best fit would be with the Chargers.

Would get to sit behind and learn from a fringe future HoF, would project well in that kind of Offensive system and would have very little pressure on him for at least a few years.

The Chargerscould stand to have a future QB that's a little more mobile than Rivers.

He's not a gadget player but you see him being used as one? Okay.

That line isn't an indicator of him not being talented. I never said that he didn't have great athleticism.

In fact, that's why he's going to have a gadget player type of role. He's going to get a lot of touches out of the back field, lining up as a receiver and as a returner. He's going to be an offensive swiss army knife.

Samuel is going to be the same way and I am very intrigued with his pure speed. Lots of Percy Harvin in him, with hopefully more durability.

With the RB workouts in the books, I think McCaffrey has a shot at being the 2nd RB taken. Dalvin Cook had a pretth horrible performance for a guy that was expected to contend for that top slot.

I don't consider a combo rb/slot a gadget player. A gadget player is DAT, a guy that has talent but is not a full time player; it's someone you have to design plays around. You could give this kid 15+ carries and 15+ routes a game from the slot. That's not a gadget player, that's a versatile player who wins you matchups.

I think you're using touches to define a guy as gadget or not and I think any guy that doesn't have a specific role as a gadget player.

They are moved around a lot to fill multiple roles and create mismatches. Someone with just a handful of plays is just a situational guy.

Yeah, and how many would be available here. I am a BFF proponent, but this doesn't seem like an option. I would like the heat seeking missile from Bama to built up the ILB position. If a stud CB is there cool. Man Peters is going to be hard to resign and I am just cautiously optimistic that Mitchell can repeat.

Hearing people talk he sounds like a good fit to take JCs role over. But I think we are pretty good at running back. West and Ware are a little underrated because of our run blocking.

JC performed pretty well with worse lines than the Chiefs had this year.  They need a #1 RB with Ware as an alternative.  This class is loaded with RBs.

The more I watch from Jerod Evans, the more long-term project I see and him being taken far too early in your draft.

Things I like:

-He will step up and stick with beinga pocket passer. Thisis more of a rare trait as time goes by.

-Good athlete with a live arm

Things I don't like:

The kid is raw, extremely raw. I wonder who advised him to leave Virginia Tech because he's not ready. He really, really should have returned for another season.

His anticipation just isn't thereand it's extremely noticeable that he doesn't trust his own anticipation. He seems quite unsure about when he should let that ball go and will pull it back in to think about it some more. He's gonna get lit up as a pro doing that.

Sloppy footwork, throwing motion is off and loses his focus nearly completely when the pressure is o him. He does well keeping his eyes down the field while on the run, as long as the heat isn't on.

I waw more impressed with the Justin Fuente system than I was about Jerod Evans. I like the athletic ability, the arm and his size. I just don't see enough potential to really get excited.

Looks like a 5th-6th rounder to me and his range really comes down to just how much you like that potential. He's going to have to learn the QB position completely and will need to be a #3 QB for years.

I'm not against drafting him completely. Especially with a coach like Andy Reid. He's just not a guy I would take before lunchtime on Saturday and certainly wouldn't be the first QB I would choose.

The Chiefs are a little bit dire at the position to hitch their wagon to him. I think his best fit would be with the Chargers.

Would get to sit behind and learn from a fringe future HoF, would project well in that kind of Offensive system and would have very little pressure on him for at least a few years.

The Chargerscould stand to have a future QB that's a little more mobile than Rivers.

Moving on from VA Tech seems to have been a mistake on the  surface. There are reasons though. First, VA Tech will be bringing in Malik Zaire, graduate QB from Notre Dame, next year. Zaire is being coy, and won't make it official until April, but they also have other players. Kansas QB, Ryan Willis is transferring, and freshman Hendron Hooker (an unfortunate name) is a four star player, and already enrolled at VA Tech. So, it is possible coach Fuente gave him advise. Also, VA Tech is losing their two top receivers along with Evans (Hodges is in one of my mock drafts - extremely apt TE). Finally, the biggest reason may have been family. His father, and mother run an insurance company out of their home. They have a good family. The older sister, and a brother are in college. He has a second sister in a parochial school. His older brother is a college graduate. One of his brothers, Caleb is going to college at Louisiana Monroe. http://247sports.com/player/caleb-evans-87841 His father, Efran Evans attempted to play in the NFL, but didn't make it. In all, there are nine kids, and were sent to catholic schools. His youngest brother is physically, and mentally impaired. The costs for his care is a hardship for the family, but no one is complaining. http://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas/2015/12/03/bishop-dunne-quarterback-latest-in-long-line-of-athlete-achievers-watches-over-little-brother  They all learned to pitch in. Jerod Evans is 23 years old. Because of his ACL injury, he got a late start. Most pro scouts mark down a college QB if they are 24 or older. It is a little known fact that quarterbacks that enter the draft at age 24 or older usually do not succeed. So, he had reasons.

JC performed pretty well with worse lines than the Chiefs had this year.  They need a #1 RB with Ware as an alternative.  This class is loaded with RBs.

Not many players are as good as JC. Larry Johnson had good numbers until KC's offensive line was dismantled (free agency losses, and sudden retirements). JC was not a beneficiary of a good OL. It was one of the worst, and yet he was able to make huge gains. He was similar to Barry Sanders in his ability to make the most out of a bad offensive line. In fact, Detroit may have had a better line than KC. JC has been one of the best in regards to fewest negative plays, while BS (as good as he was) was one of the worst in that category.

We were spoiled. The Chiefs have had a long line of good running backs. Abner Haynes, Mike Garrett, Curtis McClinton, Ed Podolak, Joe Delaney, Christian Okoye, Barry Word, Marcus Allen, Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, and finally Jamaal Charles. The other thing to know is

Charcandrick West was beset with injuries for most of the season. He was really only healthy for a few games. Spencer Ware started hot, but when the Chiefs lost Ehinger, Ware's yards per carry decreased by a full yard (Zach Fulton at LG). Ehinger was not brilliant, but much better than I expected expected he would be. Zach Fulton was not very good, and Jah Reid was abysmal.

Moving on from VA Tech seems to have been a mistake on the  surface. There are reasons though. First, VA Tech will be bringing in Malik Zaire, graduate QB from Notre Dame, next year. Zaire is being coy, and won't make it official until April, but they also have other players. Kansas QB, Ryan Willis is transferring, and freshman Hendron Hooker (an unfortunate name) is a four star player, and already enrolled at VA Tech. So, it is possible coach Fuente gave him advise. Also, VA Tech is losing their two top receivers along with Evans (Hodges is in one of my mock drafts - extremely apt TE). Finally, the biggest reason may have been family. His father, and mother run an insurance company out of their home. They have a good family. The older sister, and a brother are in college. He has a second sister in a parochial school. His older brother is a college graduate. One of his brothers, Caleb is going to college at Louisiana Monroe. http://247sports.com/player/caleb-evans-87841 His father, Efran Evans attempted to play in the NFL, but didn't make it. In all, there are nine kids, and were sent to catholic schools. His youngest brother is physically, and mentally impaired. The costs for his care is a hardship for the family, but no one is complaining. http://www.dallasnews.com/news/dallas/2015/12/03/bishop-dunne-quarterback-latest-in-long-line-of-athlete-achievers-watches-over-little-brother  They all learned to pitch in. Jerod Evans is 23 years old. Because of his ACL injury, he got a late start. Most pro scouts mark down a college QB if they are 24 or older. It is a little known fact that quarterbacks that enter the draft at age 24 or older usually do not succeed. So, he had reasons.

Yeah and life reasons are why I don't normally knock guys too hard for leaving early. I'm a little hypocritical here, because I think Evans really stood to gain a lot from one more year at VT.

He needs reps to learn more of essential QB'ing and he'll struggle to get a full clip of them once August is finished. The big downside to the current CBA killing off 2 a days.

I like Derek Barnett's ability to bend around an edge. He reminds me of a younger Tamba Hali. Not exceedingly fast, but has a great motor, and determination. He will get better as he grows into his role as a 3-4 edge rusher at OLB. He attended Brentwood Academy in the Nashville area. He is just 20 years old. He'll probably go in the top fifteen, but you never know. He could also start to drop if New Orleans passes him up.

Yeah and life reasons are why I don't normally knock guys too hard for leaving early. I'm a little hypocritical here, because I think Evans really stood to gain a lot from one more year at VT.

He needs reps to learn more of essential QB'ing and he'll struggle to get a full clip of them once August is finished. The big downside to the current CBA killing off 2 a days.

I know the CBA is supposed to support the players, and protect them, but I don't know if they know how much they have hurt them as well. This is one way they have harmed players on the bottom of the roster. The CBA is all about protecting the best players to the neglect of all others The other thing that hurts is the absence of a player development league, such as NFL Europe. The NFL really ought to consider making a supportive relationship with the CFL. I think it could help the Canadian Football League, and develop players in the NFL. I don't see why they treat each other as competition. 

DraftTek Mock

pick 27 Christian McCaffrey - RB/WO

pick 59 DeShone Kizer - QB

pick 91 Kevin King - CB

pick104 David Sharpe - G

pick132 Jake Butt - TE

pick170 Kenny Goladay - WO

pick180 Levon Myers - OT

pick216 Ben Gedeon - ILB Strong side

pick218 James Connor - RB

pick245 Austin Rekhow - P/K

I like how it started out. I was cool on the idea of McCaffrey until I saw him in running, and pass catching drills. I think he could be a perfect fit for this offense. His ability to run quick, precise routes, and change speeds at just the right time, will see him open repeatedly. I believe he could have a huge impact on the offense. He reminds me of a larger, better Julian Edelman. What makes Edelman special is his quick change of pace, and ability to separate. I think McCaffrey will be that, and maybe more. He could be used to run the ball. He does a good job at that, but I believe his biggest impact should be as a receiver.

DeShone Kizer has one of the strongest arms among quarterbacks in the draft. He has poor footwork, and really seemed out of place under center. I am not wild about the idea, but he could work out, and a late second round pick is not too much to give up. Even if he fails at QB, he has the size to become a possession receiver, but lacks the speed. I think his lack of accuracy is the least of worries. The most troubling aspect is his lack of quick reads, and poor field vision. You can improve accuracy, but the other stuff is hard to make much better.

A better choice (one pick below) Montavius Adams. I believe the Chiefs will need a NT/DT. Another choice may be Jarrad Davis. Davis has injury concerns, but is tough. He could be the best WILL in the draft.

Kevin King is not a good pick IMO. He has really impressive height, but is not instinctive, and is slow to the ball. I don't think he is good enough to make the team.

Instead, Duke Riley (weak side linebacker) would be the better choice. You have to address the elephant in the pajamas. I don't think DJ is coming back, or not soon enough. At best, he is not going to be playing much longer.  Perhaps a bigger need is a player to replace Tamba Hali. Dawaune Smoot is 12 lbs lighter than Hali, but a tad quicker, and has the same motor. He isn't a complete package, but would be a decent prospect at that spot in the draft.

A lot of mock drafts seem to want to send Jake Butt to KC. I like Hodges better, but I bet he goes a lot earlier in the draft. Jeremy (sticky fingers) Sprinkle, and Adam Shaheen seem good choices too... Later, Golladay seems to be a reasonable prospect. Gedeon is a tough player, who could fit at the MIKE.

Matt Miller post combine mock draft http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2696408-2017-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-post-combine-projections

pick 27 Patrick Mahomes - QB

pick 59 Joe Mixon - RB

pick 91 Howard Wilson - CB

pick104 John Johnson - S Slot DB

pick132 Eddie Vanderdoes DE

pick170 Avery Moss - Edge OLB

pick180 Ryan Glasgow - DE/DT

pick216 Damore'ea Stringfellow - WR

pick218 Pharaoh Brown - TE

pick245 Ezra Robinson - CB

27. Kansas City Chiefs

Raekwon McMillan , LB, Ohio State: With Derrick Johnson set to turn 35 next season, McMillian is an athletic playmaker who could provide a smooth transition once Johnson calls it a career. Vanderbilt’s Zach Cunningham is also an option here, but a lackluster combine could have personnel types revisiting his game tape.

Archived