Draft Mock 3.14

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sporting News Mock Draft

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/list/nfl-mock-draft-2017-order-picks-selections-packers-jets-browns-49ers-bears/1xodrpee7ulyu1487aifeeb813/slide/27

27 Kansas City Chiefs: Jabrill Peppers, LB/S, Michigan

It's becoming harder and harder to find a home for Peppers in Round 1, but I’d be shocked (at least as of now) if he fell out. Peppers is a safety for some teams, a linebacker for others. I don’t know which I’d prefer him at for the Chiefs, but unless they go quarterback, they’ll have plenty of options.

Those options may include Quincy Wilson - CB, and Mike Williams - WR (taken in this mock draft directly after Peppers. Also Deshawn Watson, Takkarist McKinley, and Jarrad Davis (given a 2nd round rating in this mock).

Speaking of the second round.

59. Kansas City Chiefs: Desmond King, DB, Iowa  (Yuck)

Dane BruglerVerified account @dpbrugler 5h5 hours ago

Ball velocity numbers (MPH) from the Combine: 60 - Mahomes 59 - Webb 56 - Kizer 55 - Trubisky, Evans 53 - Peterman, Kaaya 49 - Watson

You want to see anything 54 mph or above. Evans showed a strong arm in college. He barely made the list at 55 mph. Watson's speed on his throws was shocking to me. It makes a great deal of difference in the NFL, where the windows are much tighter. Peterman's 53 mph is below the standard, but he may have had an off day.

High on my list are Mahomes, and Webb. Trubisky was not as fluid with his throws as I would have liked. Evans, and Trubisky are adequate. Evans needs to keep the ball positioned near his head. He tends to dip it back down in his wind up. He is definitely not in the Tim Tebow category, but it hurts the release time, and can mess with accuracy. I am sure a coach will work with him on this. Trubisky seemed most comfortable with taking snaps from Center (which is understandable since he did this in college). Mahomes can really sling the ball, but needs help with footwork.

McMillan? Good player and showed at the combine to be a potential 3 down ILB. Not my first choice but wouldn't be turrible.

Most do not have him going that high. However, who knew Mitch Morse would be worth second round pick (besides Dorsey)?

McMillan? Good player and showed at the combine to be a potential 3 down ILB. Not my first choice but wouldn't be turrible.

I think he's a 4-3 guy. Reminds me too much of Ramik Wilson for my liking.

Not a guy that's willing to take on a blocker and fight for ground, which is a big thing I dislike with this scheme.  Doesn't really play with explosion that you'd like; also like Ramik, is more read/react instead of being aggressive and going after the ball.  Will rack up tackles after a ball carrier picked up chunks of yards.

He does best when DLinemen can soak up the blockers and he can try to anticipate what gaps to fill in.  Not physical enough for Suttons D and is probably best suited as an OLB in a 4-3.  Don't really think his tape really pops as a first rounder, either.

That's the problem I have with this ILB class.  Too many guys just don't project well in this D..sucks they have no shot at Foster.

Not a guy that's willing to take on a blocker and fight for ground, which is a big thing I dislike with this scheme.  Doesn't really play with explosion that you'd like; also like Ramik, is more read/react instead of being aggressive and going after the ball.  Will rack up tackles after a ball carrier picked up chunks of yards.

He does best when DLinemen can soak up the blockers and he can try to anticipate what gaps to fill in.  Not physical enough for Suttons D and is probably best suited as an OLB in a 4-3.  Don't really think his tape really pops as a first rounder, either.

That's the problem I have with this ILB class.  Too many guys just don't project well in this D..sucks they have no shot at Foster.

They probably don't have a shot at Foster, but some have him falling that low. Jarrad Davis is a great fit if he can stay healthy. https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-gators-football-jarrad-davis-injury-nfl

Let me start out that Zach Cunningham is too spindly, and long legged to play WILL in the 3-4 for the Chiefs. He projects better to the 4-3.

Davis is about 6'2", and 238 lbs

Florida-Gators-Football-Jarrad-Davis-Mar

Derrick Johnson lost some weight to keep his speed, but was 6'3" and 242 lbs.  He ran a 4.52

He had a 1.61 10 yard split, which is pretty amazing

Davis will not run the 40, due to his ankle, and even if he did is not nearly as fast. He is quick, and that jumps out at you when you see his play. He runs down players in the ten to twenty yard range.

The other big need is a MIKE backer. The Chiefs need a monster guy, who can lay the wood. I don't think they have that yet. Maybe Ramik Wilson can be that guy, but he has to get bigger. I'd like to see a MIKE in the 240 to 245 lb range.

If we miss out on Reddick or Cunningham, I would be fine with Davis.

I like Reddick, but he is a tweaner. He can play OLB, and ILB. I don't know if either will be as good as Foster or Davis. As for Cunningham... pass.

LB to look for in the draft

• Kendell Beckwith - never fully recovered from injury, but if he does, could be a starter. More attitude than athleticism.
  • Vince Biegel - everyone has him as an OLB, but I see a guy who can diagnose offenses, and attack. Needs to put on 10 lbs of muscle. He has injury concerns with his foot. This is a guy you would have to develop.
  • Ben Boulware - Reminds me of Zach Thomas.
  • Anthony Walker Jr
  • Jalen Reeves-Maybin - WILL or MIKE. I see a WILL. Needs to add core strength. Great instincts. Health concerns.
  • Matt Milano - WILL Again needs to build core strength, and add weight.
  • Conner Harris - MIKE and Special Teams. Zach Thomas type.
  • Ben Gedeon - MIKE and Special Teams
  • Tyus Bowser - OLB/WILL Needs to learn the game. Basketball convert. Explosive power, and speed. 240 lbs.
  • Blair Brown - I see a MIKE in the making He is short, but goes about 240 lbs. He had a 37 inch vertical, so he is explosive. Good tackler. Has a knack for being around the ball. Instinctual.

Top guys

1. Davis - reminds me of the cloned offspring of Derrick Johnson and Ray Lewis. Leader. Great instincts.
  2. Foster - Nasty. Can play either WILL or MIKE, but probably WILL. His instincts are not great.
  3. Reddick - Weak side OLB or maybe a WILL, but Derrick Johnson was similar in that no one saw him as an ILB. He was a weak side 4-3 line backer or DE. The Chiefs changed formation, and put DJ inside at WILL. He fought it, but soon found out it was his ticket to the Hall of Fame, and it could be the same for Reddick, but he is further behind than DJ ever was.

Jarrad Davis will not go as high because he missed the combine due to injury, plus he had some nagging injury issues during the season. Most see him as a 2nd round pick Three notable mock drafts have him from 45 to 53

WalterFB    53 to Lions

MatMiller     45 to Cardinals

DraftTek      48 to Vikings

Let's suppose he is going no later than the overall 45th pick (although he is rated the 32nd best player in the draft). Trade down 27 to 32 with New Orleans, and swap second round picks (our 59 for their 42nd, and to make the deal even, we toss in our compensatory pick #104. from the end of the 3rd round. 

Pick 32 The Chiefs might end up with Charles Harris Edge OLB

Pick 42 Turn around the next day, and get Jarrad Davis WILL

Pick 94 Alvin Kamara RB

Pick132 Fabian Moreau DB

Pick170 Jared Evans QB

Pick216 DeAngelo Brown NT

Pick218 Ben Gedeon ILB - MIKE

Pick245 Austin Rehkow P

oddly enough the same criticism of DJ when he came out and a big reason he fell to us

oddly enough the same criticism of DJ when he came out and a big reason he fell to us

And it wasn't a big deal as we took him into a 4-3 system at the time. I think a lot if people forget he was dangerously close to being a bust at one point.

Noted asshole, Todd Haley, saved his career and possibly his life.

And it wasn't a big deal as we took him into a 4-3 system at the time. I think a lot if people forget he was dangerously close to being a bust at one point.

Noted asshole, Todd Haley, saved his career and possibly his life.

That's a stretch. He took away most of his starts in 2009, but saved his life? What does that even mean? DJ was productive before Haley got here. He was a 90 tackle LB. we expected more, but a solid NFL starter.

DJ just grew and got smarter. He developed while Haley was here and after. I think you have to give DJ the credit for that.

That's a stretch. He took away most of his starts in 2009, but saved his life? What does that even mean? DJ was productive before Haley got here. He was a 90 tackle LB. we expected more, but a solid NFL starter.

DJ just grew and got smarter. He developed while Haley was here and after. I think you have to give DJ the credit for that.

A lot of rumors that DJ had a lot of issues following his fathers passing and was tipping the bottle pretty hard.  Haley would take him in and DJ would eat dinner with his family etc.

I think Haley is a bit nuts, but got a bad shake in KC.

I didn't hear that. Well hats off to him if true. He always struck me as selfish. I am sure he didn't endear himself to the players saying he could get 22 guys off the street and have a better team. What a dumb thing to say. He seems to be a very good OC, but I thought he was too winy to be a head coach.

Was he an arrogant asshole when he arrived?  Sure. 

I think he was starting to come into his own as a Head Coach by the 2nd year, but it was all unraveled because he was working for a batshit insane GM.  I think it's a 50/50 probability he could of still been here if he won the fight on Cassel and was allowed to bring in Hasselbeck after the lockout ended.

Was he an arrogant asshole when he arrived?  Sure. 

I think he was starting to come into his own as a Head Coach by the 2nd year, but it was all unraveled because he was working for a batshit insane GM.  I think it's a 50/50 probability he could of still been here if he won the fight on Cassel and was allowed to bring in Hasselbeck after the lockout ended.

One thing is for sure. He hates Kansas City. I remember a story when he met two KC Chiefs fans in a hotel bar. I believe they asked him to sign a napkin. He obliged with a "Chiefs suck". I may have one or two of the details wrong, but the concept is there.

Pioli was a piece of work. Funny that they have both had success since, but they were a disaster together. The team just got worse and worse. Not sure Hasselbeck would have saved that sinking ship.

First, Pioli had success as a junior, third degree flunky for the Falcons. I'm not sure that is entirely accurate. His duties may be less. Haley became an OC for the Steelers. It was a team where his dad coached. He always wanted to work for Pittsburgh. Before coming to KC, Haley was an apprentice offensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals. He has become a full fledged OC for Pittsburgh. Despite initial, internal, resistance from players, such as Roethlisberger, he has succeeded.

Archived