Draft Mock 3.14

One thing is for sure. He hates Kansas City. I remember a story when he met two KC Chiefs fans in a hotel bar. I believe they asked him to sign a napkin. He obliged with a "Chiefs suck". I may have one or two of the details wrong, but the concept is there.

lol I probably would have too

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jarrad Davis will not go as high because he missed the combine due to injury, plus he had some nagging injury issues during the season. Most see him as a 2nd round pick Three notable mock drafts have him from 45 to 53

WalterFB    53 to Lions

MatMiller     45 to Cardinals

DraftTek      48 to Vikings

Let's suppose he is going no later than the overall 45th pick (although he is rated the 32nd best player in the draft). Trade down 27 to 32 with New Orleans, and swap second round picks (our 59 for their 42nd, and to make the deal even, we toss in our compensatory pick #104. from the end of the 3rd round. 

Pick 32 The Chiefs might end up with Charles Harris Edge OLB

Pick 42 Turn around the next day, and get Jarrad Davis WILL

Pick 94 Alvin Kamara RB

Pick132 Fabian Moreau DB

Pick170 Jared Evans QB

Pick216 DeAngelo Brown NT

Pick218 Ben Gedeon ILB - MIKE

Pick245 Austin Rehkow P

If the Chiefs trade down to #32, it should be to pick up Mahomes.  Depending on how it goes nearer the draft, they might be able to get him at 45.  If Foster is there, I think they should grab him at 27 and pack their 2nd and 3rd to move up in the second to get a QB.  They've had enough third day QBs in camp the last few years and I don't see Murray or Hogan anywhere on the roster.

Kansas City Chiefs: A developmental quarterback is what the fans want, but a source in the front office told me a defensive-front-seven pick is more likely in Round 1—if the Chiefs don't trade back. "We're in a prime trade-back spot, so I could see that happening too" said the source.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2696790-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-buzz-on-every-nfl-team-as-free-agency-begins?utm_campaign=tsiphone&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=twitter.com

I don't think they want to use a first round pick on a player they feel requires on the job training in order to be a back up quarterback. Of the quarterbacks, only Trubinsky has been under Center, and he did not seem ready to me. Watson was the most polished, but his 49mph top speed on his throws is in the danger zone. Typically, a decent number exceeds 54 mph. Anything less is suspect. 49 mph is undraftable in my opinion. (recent players velocity) http://blogs.ourlads.com/2016/03/02/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2015/

The biggest needs for this team are on defense

1. WILL LB

2. NT

3. OLB - Edge Rusher

The Chiefs got carved up, not because they lacked a secondary. Their secondary was sufficient. The got sliced, and diced because they could not stop the run. This was most evident when DJ was injured, and blatantly obvious when he was no longer able to play. A wounded Derrick Johnson was better than whatever else they had at LB.

The best WILL is probably Foster. Reuben Foster may be a top five player in the draft. He might fall, but unless he is seen with a needle in his arm, and distributing crack to kids on the playground, he is not going to fall to the Chiefs. That little misunderstanding at the Combine was not enough to scare off most teams. In fact, it showed he was an Alpha dog. I am not saying it was right to cuss out a candy striper or med tech, but he will not be paid to make nice. He is paid to be a killer in the middle of the defense.

The second best pure WILL (IMHO) is Jarrad Davis, and he is probably going to go in the second round. I think he is worth somewhere around a 42nd pick in the draft. That Vandy kid is a 4-3 DE, and undersized for that. Reddick is a OLB in either a 4-3 or maybe a 3-4. So, if the Chiefs want to address their biggest need, they may consider moving back, and getting Davis. If Derrick Johnson, and Ray Lewis had a love child, it would be that guy, Jarrad Davis.

The second biggest need is the NT, but I wouldn't take a fatty in the first round. That was the problem with Poe. I liked him, and still do, but he is not, nor will he ever be worth a first round pick. You can find a guy who can clog the middle in the 3rd round in most years. Montavius Davis isn't really what they need. They already have a player who splits the gaps in Howard. They need a NT, not another Jay Howard. I think Reyes did a better job than Poe in his limited appearance. I think they can sign him back after the other teams pass him over. I would spend $2 -3 M on Reyes and look for a Edge Rusher at OLB to replace Ford/Hali.

Let's say you make a trade with New Orleans, and let them trade up to 27. They play in a 4-3 formation. Derek Barnett is a really good player that fits what the Saints do (or should do) on defense. 1. Myles Garrett - gone 2. Taco Charlton - gone 3. Derek Barnett (maybe if Tennessee doesn't snag him first. 4. Charles Harris. As players get picked, NO may be willing to deal. The Chiefs can get Takkarist Mckinley at 32. The Chiefs would have to forfeit another pick (perhaps 104) but can then move up to get their ILB with New Orleans pick in that round.

1. Takkarist McKinley - Edge

2. Jarrad Davis - WILL

3. Dalvin Tomlinson - NT

4. Jeremy McNichols - RB

5. Jerod Evans - Developmental QB

5. comp Avery Moss - Developmental Edge OLB

6. comp A Ben Gedeon - MIKE

6. comp B Nico Siragusa - G

7. Ezra Robinson - CB

FA Gerald Hodges - MIKE, FA Paul Soliai - NT, Devin Still - DT/NT

I have no problem with Foster getting upset at the Combine. If I just had shoulder surgery and some one wanted to jack with it to see range of motion and strength when it should be restored and allowed to heal, I would tell them to pound sand too. That's his livelihood and they don't have his best interest at heart.

If Foster falls to #27, and he probably won't, and the Chiefs pass on him, if will be very upsetting.  Assuming he's gone, the Chiefs could do very well playing the draft like last year.  Trade down and still get the players they want.  It's hard to predict specific trades, but by doing so, they could end up with starting ILB, edge, DT and backup OG and development QB.

If Foster falls to #27, and he probably won't, and the Chiefs pass on him, if will be very upsetting. Assuming he's gone, the Chiefs could do very well playing the draft like last year. Trade down and still get the players they want. It's hard to predict specific trades, but by doing so, they could end up with starting ILB, edge, DT and backup OG and development QB.

A do it all running back is a need imo

A do it all running back is a need imo

I'm wondering about the RB from Wy. who rushed for 1860 yd., 22 TD, 5.3/carry last fall, is 6'1" and 220 lb.  He's not projected real high, but that may be because of the small school curse.  Could probably be had on the third day.

I'm wondering about the RB from Wy. who rushed for 1860 yd., 22 TD, 5.3/carry last fall, is 6'1" and 220 lb. He's not projected real high, but that may be because of the small school curse. Could probably be had on the third day.

He is a good fit.

They didn't really get much backlash from drafting Tyreek Hill, so I'd have to advocate taking Joe Mixon.

The 2nd best running back in the draft and can probably be had for a 4th round choice.

He could go higher. While Hill is a major talent, teams saw him more as a gadget type player with return ability. Easier to let him slide to day 3. Mixon is an every down back. Somebody will use a 2 on him.

The biggest needs for this team are on defense

1. WILL LB

2. NT

3. OLB - Edge Rusher

The Chiefs got carved up, not because they lacked a secondary. Their secondary was sufficient. The got sliced, and diced because they could not stop the run. This was most evident when DJ was injured, and blatantly obvious when he was no longer able to play. A wounded Derrick Johnson was better than whatever else they had at LB.

The best WILL is probably Foster. Reuben Foster may be a top five player in the draft. He might fall, but unless he is seen with a needle in his arm, and distributing crack to kids on the playground, he is not going to fall to the Chiefs. That little misunderstanding at the Combine was not enough to scare off most teams. In fact, it showed he was an Alpha dog. I am not saying it was right to cuss out a candy striper or med tech, but he will not be paid to make nice. He is paid to be a killer in the middle of the defense.

The second best pure WILL (IMHO) is Jarrad Davis, and he is probably going to go in the second round. I think he is worth somewhere around a 42nd pick in the draft. That Vandy kid is a 4-3 DE, and undersized for that. Reddick is a OLB in either a 4-3 or maybe a 3-4. So, if the Chiefs want to address their biggest need, they may consider moving back, and getting Davis. If Derrick Johnson, and Ray Lewis had a love child, it would be that guy, Jarrad Davis.

The second biggest need is the NT, but I wouldn't take a fatty in the first round. That was the problem with Poe. I liked him, and still do, but he is not, nor will he ever be worth a first round pick. You can find a guy who can clog the middle in the 3rd round in most years. Montavius Davis isn't really what they need. They already have a player who splits the gaps in Howard. They need a NT, not another Jay Howard. I think Reyes did a better job than Poe in his limited appearance. I think they can sign him back after the other teams pass him over. I would spend $2 -3 M on Reyes and look for a Edge Rusher at OLB to replace Ford/Hali.

Let's say you make a trade with New Orleans, and let them trade up to 27. They play in a 4-3 formation. Derek Barnett is a really good player that fits what the Saints do (or should do) on defense. 1. Myles Garrett - gone 2. Taco Charlton - gone 3. Derek Barnett (maybe if Tennessee doesn't snag him first. 4. Charles Harris. As players get picked, NO may be willing to deal. The Chiefs can get Takkarist Mckinley at 32. The Chiefs would have to forfeit another pick (perhaps 104) but can then move up to get their ILB with New Orleans pick in that round.

1. Takkarist McKinley - Edge

2. Jarrad Davis - WILL

3. Dalvin Tomlinson - NT

4. Jeremy McNichols - RB

5. Jerod Evans - Developmental QB

5. comp Avery Moss - Developmental Edge OLB

6. comp A Ben Gedeon - MIKE

6. comp B Nico Siragusa - G

7. Ezra Robinson - CB

FA Gerald Hodges - MIKE, FA Paul Soliai - NT, Devin Still - DT/NT

The more tape I watch of Jarrad Davis the more I think he doesn't fall to round II. There are many ILB's in the draft though so it's hard to tell.

He could go higher. While Hill is a major talent, teams saw him more as a gadget type player with return ability. Easier to let him slide to day 3. Mixon is an every down back. Somebody will use a 2 on him.

Teams saw a lot of potential in Hill because how fast he looked on tape, but nobody wanted to be the team to actually draft him.  I think there will be a long staredown  through Friday as teams debate on if they want to say fuck it and roll the dice, or take him Saturday so all of the punch tape clips can sneak through the weekend news.

Teams saw a lot of potential in Hill because how fast he looked on tape, but nobody wanted to be the team to actually draft him. I think there will be a long staredown through Friday as teams debate on if they want to say fuck it and roll the dice, or take him Saturday so all of the punch tape clips can sneak through the weekend news.

We will see, I guess.

If Foster falls to #27, and he probably won't, and the Chiefs pass on him, if will be very upsetting.  Assuming he's gone, the Chiefs could do very well playing the draft like last year.  Trade down and still get the players they want.  It's hard to predict specific trades, but by doing so, they could end up with starting ILB, edge, DT and backup OG and development QB.

Foster is going to be a top ten pick. He will not fall to the Chiefs at 27. The first priority really is ROLB. The Chiefs have middle linebackers. There is a big drop off from Derrick Johnson, but there is something there. Who knows, but that Alexander, Lillard-March, and Ramik Wilson may improve dramatically? The issue is real, but so is the fast decline of Tamba Hali, and the fraudulent theory that Dee Ford will be anything more significant than a pianist in a bad lounge act.

The Chiefs need a MLB (actually two), and a ROLB. Fortunately, this draft is stacked for the front seven, and the Chiefs can get both.  By making a trade with the Saints, they can allow New Orleans an opportunity to find the 4-3 DE they need, and maybe still get McKinley at 32. In the mix would be a swap of first and second rounds. Moving up from 59 to 42, will put the Chiefs in a position to draft Jarrad Davis, who is perfect for their WILL slot. That leaves the Chiefs five more rounds to find a NT, MIKE, RB, and maybe a CB or WR. With a little luck they can even get a future QB.

First things first. The Chiefs need to fix the rush, and that starts with the OLB opposite Justin Houston.

The more tape I watch of Jarrad Davis the more I think he doesn't fall to round II. There are many ILB's in the draft though so it's hard to tell.

That is why you don't settle for one player. The Dorsey doctrine is to take the best player remaining in the draft. I am sure there are caveats. If a stud RT, and a equally good ROLB is available, the Chiefs should go after the LB. However, if Davis is snatched up at 20 in the draft, the Chiefs will be wise to not move to 18, and sacrifice everything else. I think he will be there at 42, but it will take a trade. I do not think it is wise to take him with the 27th pick in the draft.

That is why you don't settle for one player. The Dorsey doctrine is to take the best player remaining in the draft. I am sure there are caveats. If a stud RT, and a equally good ROLB is available, the Chiefs should go after the LB. However, if Davis is snatched up at 20 in the draft, the Chiefs will be wise to not move to 18, and sacrifice everything else. I think he will be there at 42, but it will take a trade. I do not think it is wise to take him with the 27th pick in the draft.

I want to understand why if davis is the 2nd best WILL behind foster and we need to fill that position you advocate NOT taking him at 27 if he is available, plugging that guy into our Defense would make everything easier for Houston and Ford, and we can ease DJ back in

That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Williams can out jump any receiver in the league for the ball.  Watch the tape.  He highpoints the ball as good as anyone I have seen.  Makes the contested catches.  He would be a waste because Alex doesn't have the balls to throw into that type of coverage and let Williams make the play.  JMO, of course.

Hi, Phatal.

Archived