Draft Mock 3.14

I wouldn't bother spending high capital on offensive weapons for our completely average QB. Will just be more wasted potential for 3500yrds/15TD

I don't understand that form of logic.

Alex has two more years on his contract, but really only one year counts, because so little dead money counts in 2018. Also, it is not a given he will have a repeat of last year, which was an off year. If he does, the Chiefs will make a change. Let's see what happens this year before jumping off the bridge. When, and if the Chiefs go to a different QB (new or retread), they will need a supporting cast.

Maclin's contract becomes expensive in 2018 as well. Maclin had his worst effort ever as a pro. It probably was an outlier. Either way, Maclin is the Chiefs' #1 receiver, and he had a negative impact on Smith's yards passing. (previously, Maclin averaged 1017 yards per game for past 5 seasons, and only 536 last year).

Player's who may be released in 2018 or sooner

• Tamba Hali
  • Jah Reid
  • Alex Smith
  • Jeremy Maclin
  • Dee Ford
  • Allen Bailey
  • Derrick Johnson
  • Demetrius Harris
  • Jaye Howard
  • Ron Parker

Total savings against the cap exceeds $56.8 M in 2018, and total cap space for 2019 is north of $105 M. Point being, you cannot stop improving the team, ever. We no longer have Matt Cassel. Things change.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think he was soft at all. He used to break tackles and run fools over. (When he caught it)

Bowe got a lot of catches purely because the Chiefs did not have anyone else better to throw to. Had Baldwin been what his draft selection dictated he should have been, Bowe would not have offered a ridiculous contract, when he was just about washed up.

I don't understand that form of logic.

Alex has two more years on his contract, but really only one year counts, because so little dead money counts in 2018. Also, it is not a given he will have a repeat of last year, which was an off year. If he does, the Chiefs will make a change. Let's see what happens this year before jumping off the bridge. When, and if the Chiefs go to a different QB (new or retread), they will need a supporting cast.

I'll break it down.

Until they have an actual legitimate up and coming starting quality QB, Alex is the guy.  There's really no other way to put that.  They don't have a plan B on that roster.

I'm sure the goal is to find that guy in this draft, but the draft doesn't always shake out the way you want it to.  If they get this receiver and that pass-rusher and a inside backer and finally go oh shit we need a QB, it could be too late.  They may not even know until 2018.

Drafting to fill an Offense that you don't know for sure that you're going to run might not be very wise.  Andy will change his Offense to get the most out of the talent hes got and if they drafted a kid like Mahomes, the Offense they currently run could go away.  His talent isn't exactly suited for a bunch of screens and throwing for 3 yards on 3rd&7.

Some players may work in a role in a different system and some players may not fit in well any longer.  They can't build an Offense around an unknown QB.

I'll break it down.

Until they have an actual legitimate up and coming starting quality QB, Alex is the guy. There's really no other way to put that. They don't have a plan B on that roster.

I'm sure the goal is to find that guy in this draft, but the draft doesn't always shake out the way you want it to. If they get this receiver and that pass-rusher and a inside backer and finally go oh shit we need a QB, it could be too late. They may not even know until 2018.

Drafting to fill an Offense that you don't know for sure that you're going to run might not be very wise. Andy will change his Offense to get the most out of the talent hes got and if they drafted a kid like Mahomes, the Offense they currently run could go away. His talent isn't exactly suited for a bunch of screens and throwing for 3 yards on 3rd&7.

Some players may work in a role in a different system and some players may not fit in well any longer. They can't build an Offense around an unknown QB.

Which is exactly why we need to stack the defense.

Good to know you've already determined how each QB will progress through their careers.

That doesn't change the fact that Alex Smith is a 3200-3600 yd passer with a ceiling of 20 TD's regardless of how much talent he does or doesn't have, it seems.  Better served loading up on Defense to keep the points totals low.

Until they have a new starter to groom or in place, they are building around Alex.  Does it have to be a first round choice?  No.  But blowing a flyer on Saturday has given them absolutely nothing to this point.

I want to see a new QB just like most of the rest on this board.  What I don't want is drafting a QB in the first round rather than the second unless the guy they really want is there at #27.  Some here seem to want to roll the dice on any QB, and that doesn't make sense to me.  No one knows which QBs will be good, which will be busts, and if any become all-pro, but this year has no "can't miss" types and the odds of getting a starter with the fifth QB taken aren't that much lower than taking the third.  So that's why I'm good with a pick other than QB in the first round.

The Chiefs aren't going to get a "can't miss" guy unless they tank it on the right year. Hasn't happened in over 30 years so far.

Eventually you've just got to say fuck it and roll the dice. The Chiefs are never going to be bad enough to get that chance with Reid and Dorsey. You think Dorsey is going to trade a full bag of picks for a QB? Ha!

Dorsey firsthand saw what happens when you roll the dice on a QB from a gimmicky Offense. They've got few immediate needs, a low slot pick and an aging QB and over ten choices. If this isn't the time to.do it, what the fuck do you want from them?

I want to see a new QB just like most of the rest on this board.  What I don't want is drafting a QB in the first round rather than the second unless the guy they really want is there at #27.  Some here seem to want to roll the dice on any QB, and that doesn't make sense to me.  No one knows which QBs will be good, which will be busts, and if any become all-pro, but this year has no "can't miss" types and the odds of getting a starter with the fifth QB taken aren't that much lower than taking the third.  So that's why I'm good with a pick other than QB in the first round.

even the can't miss QB's (Luck, Mariota)  from a few years ago have not really delivered on that promise yet. I like Watson & Mahomes but unlikely either is there at 27 so i look for Peterman and Webb. it is a roll of the dice and we can beef up in a few areas of need before that QB. maybe lightning will strike like brady as a 6th rounder but probably not...I wonder if they wait till next years crop of QB's (i hear that they are better)

The more tape that I watch of this years QB crop, the more I think that there isn't one worthy of a first round pick. Trubisky is the most polished and even he is still a project. Take Webb or Peterman in the 2nd or 3rd and probably get the same result.

The first two rounds should be used to upgrade the defensive front 7.

even the can't miss QB's (Luck, Mariota) from a few years ago have not really delivered on that promise yet. I like Watson & Mahomes but unlikely either is there at 27 so i look for Peterman and Webb. it is a roll of the dice and we can beef up in a few areas of need before that QB. maybe lightning will strike like brady as a 6th rounder but probably not...I wonder if they wait till next years crop of QB's (i hear that they are better)

The thing about waiting till next year is you don't really know what will happen with some of these guys that are supposed to better. Injury can happen, could also not progress like people think they will and all of sudden a QB class that the year before looked good takes on a different look. Could also be more QB needy teams which changes the complexion of the draft as well.

If they like a guy and believe he is the future their really isn't a reason not to if he is sitting their at 27. Chances are going to be they are going to be drafting right around that same spot next year as well and any QB drafted in that spot is going to have flaws no matter the year. Waiting a year also puts us into more of a desperation mode as far as drafting a guy as well.

Just seems its setting up for us to do it this year and let a guy sit for year learn and work on those flaws without any pressure.

Only 1 maybe 0 of these QBs will amount to anything. If they think that guy is gone, why trade a probable Pro Bowler for a guy that will never make a start. If that guy is there, definitely roll the dice on him. I am good if they draft or pass on Watson or Mahomes or if they draft them. Just don't draft someone you don't have confidence in. Take the BPA if your QB is gone. There are plenty if other people's first round QB mistakes available.

The thing about waiting till next year is you don't really know what will happen with some of these guys that are supposed to better. Injury can happen, could also not progress like people think they will and all of sudden a QB class that the year before looked good takes on a different look. Could also be more QB needy teams which changes the complexion of the draft as well.

If they like a guy and believe he is the future their really isn't a reason not to if he is sitting their at 27. Chances are going to be they are going to be drafting right around that same spot next year as well and any QB drafted in that spot is going to have flaws no matter the year. Waiting a year also puts us into more of a desperation mode as far as drafting a guy as well.

Just seems its setting up for us to do it this year and let a guy sit for year learn and work on those flaws without any pressure.

If you're a winning team with a winning culture and your quarterback suddenly retires without anyone of significance immediately behind him, that in itself doesn't put you in desperation mode. On the other hand, if you signal to the entire league that what would be good enough for most teams is unsatisfactory on yours, the effect on draft prospects and free agency can be damaging.

The bottom line: You don't blow a first-round pick on a quarterback not worth a first-round pick.

The more tape that I watch of this years QB crop, the more I think that there isn't one worthy of a first round pick. Trubisky is the most polished and even he is still a project. Take Webb or Peterman in the 2nd or 3rd and probably get the same result.

The first two rounds should be used to upgrade the defensive front 7.

How are you going to get the same result from Davis Webb that you would get from Mahomes, the QB that took his starting job away from him?

There's only four QBs worthy of the first two rounds.  If two of them remain at pick #27, I say pass and grab one in the second by trading the second and third round picks for a higher second.  If the Chiefs really love Mahomes and he lasts until #27, then I have no problem with them taking the chance on him.  They get paid to make those decisions.  They can evaluate the other teams' needs and make a pretty good guess where QBs will go in the second round.  If they whiff on all the top four, then they might as well wait until late second or third.  At that point it's a crap shoot.  They could get another Brady or they could get an Elkins or Croyle.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2017/03/24/should-kansas-city-chiefs-draft-patrick-mahomes/

Not such a glowing evaluation

The verdict on the Kansas City Chiefs drafting Patrick Mahomes
by Stacy D. Smith1 day ago

Follow @emceereach

With the 2017 NFL Draft just five weeks away, the time has come for me to discuss opening round options for the Kansas City Chiefs. One prospect who’s been bandied as a candidate for their 27th selection is Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes. When the offseason began, he was atop my personal big board.

Earlier this week, I completed a ten-game film study of Mahomes. During that time, I watched every snap he took in games against Louisiana Tech, West Virginia, Arizona State, Oklahoma, Baylor, Kansas, Oklahoma State, Texas Christian, Texas and Kansas State. For all of my peers in the blogosphere, I’ll offer you some free advice: Don’t try digesting that volume of game tape in one sitting. It was a near five-hour affair.  Upon completion, I had nine full pages of notes.

The most interesting part of this journey is how my opinion of Mahomes changed during the course of my study. I came in with the expectation that the tape would simply confirm that which I already suspected about him. Much to my chagrin, it did quite the opposite. The NFL Combine often makes a statement about a player. The film room either substantiates the claims made by the measurable or poses a counter argument. Today, we’ll find out exactly what happened following my analysis, in the case of one Pat Mahomes.

Before we get down to brass tacks, I’d like to offer a pair of disclaimers. For starters, I’m a novice at film analysis. I think some bloggers make the mistake of overstating their ability to parse game film. I’m no Mike Mayock. I’m a reasonably knowledgeable writer about the nuances of the game, but I’m not here to pretend I have something to offer, in the way of analysis, that can be characterized as professional. I’m also a fairly tech-savvy guy, but my notes were taken the old-fashioned way (with an ink pen and an inexpensive composition book). I’ll transcribe them in their original form because most of them communicate the visceral reactions I had to what I saw.

One last thing before we begin. What struck me, the more film I studied, was how often I was watching and analyzing the talent around Mahomes. You’ll see what I mean in the next several minutes. In fact, some of this could double as a scouting report for one of his receivers (who I’ll now be watching and clamoring for the next couple of years). I came in expecting Mahomes to be the singular star of that Air Raid offense. Turns out there are a number of players on that team with NFL talent. More on that later; for now, if all hearts and minds are clear…

Opponent: Louisiana Tech

• Improvises well and slides in the pocket to buy himself time
  • Will carry the ball low-and-loose while doing so (sliding in the pocket)
  • Throwing motion seems to vary between a 3/4ths and over-the-top delivery
  • Has some slick and convincing ball fakes
  • Can fling it effortlessly
  • Footwork looks sludgy in the pocket at times
  • Can quickly get going (scramble) to avoid pressure
  • His game appears to lack attention to detail
  • Some of his pitches (to running backs) look lazy
  • Thinks/reacts quickly in the face of a negative play
  • Threw a BAD pick (that was called back) due to pressure
  • Mechanics are REALLY inconsistent
  • Bad touch on a screen pass
  • Freezes in the face of pressure quite often (three times in this game)
  • Throws off of his back foot a lot
  • Doesn’t step into his throws enough
  • Often doesn’t tuck the ball away when leaving the pocket (on a scramble)
  • Seems he’s regularly flat-footed in the pocket

Opponent: West Virginia

• Ball sailed the result of not stepping into a throw
  • Threw a horrible pass that almost got picked
  • Athleticism gets him out of trouble half of the time
  • FANTASTIC downfield throw despite pressure
  • Touch on certain kinds of throws just isn’t there
  • Sells the read-option REALLY well
  • His offensive line STINKS!
  • Makes A LOT of plays for leaky pass pro
  • GREAT arm (TD on 3rd & 29)!
  • Ball zips when his mechanics are good
  • Throws outside the numbers take a while to get there
  • Struggles to throw the fade route
  • Quick screens are usually thrown high
  • Makes some WTF throws sometimes when pressured
  • Throws well on the run
  • Almost got receiver decapitated on a crosser
  • Trying to create a play out of nothing often gets him sacked
  • Love all that I’m seeing in receiver Keke Coutee!

Opponent: Arizona State

• Mahomes’ offense bears a resemblance to Reid’s west coast system
  • Doesn’t always know when to pitch the ball in read-option situations
  • I like Derrick Willies!
  • Has trouble resetting his feet when sliding in the pocket
  • Has trouble sensing pressure coming from his back side
  • Bad mechanics caused two picks

Opponent: Oklahoma

• I LIKE Sadler!
  • Mahomes should NEVER throw across his body
  • Did he just throw a pass left-handed?
  • Touch on deep throws is questionable
  • Throws lack velocity due to poor mechanics
  • Makes too manym near-pick throws
  • Retreats in pocket waaaaaay too much
  • Keeps his eyes downfield when trying to make a play
  • Fantastic job of selling read-option
  • Questionable accuracy on deep balls
  • Can be baited into picks by a defender
  • Did I say how much I like Coutee?
  • Ball placement is suspect
  • Has tough time putting the ball around the numbers
  • Can improvise when necessary
  • DIME to Davis for a TD
  • I LIKE Giles!
  • This many throws in the NFL would lead to a ton of turnovers
  • Mahomes has trouble sliding when he scrambles (doesn’t look smooth)
  • Has skill players who make a TON of plays for him

Opponent: Baylor

• Throws into a group of defenders a bunch
  • Retreating into the pocket will be a BIG problem at the next level
  • KEKE COUTEE! Great adjustment on the TD
  • FANTASTIC TD catch (Dylan Cantrell)
  • Mahomes has some great weapons who contribute lots of chunk plays
  • Quan Shorts! TD! Wow!
  • KEKE COUTEE! (Expletive redacted) He’d be GREAT in Kansas City
  • Giles BUCKLED a defender with a move in the open field WOOOOOOOOOW
  • Weapons showed him up in this game!
  • Intentional grounding was ATROCIOUS
  • Coutee concentration on a tipped ball!
  • Threw a dime on a would-be TD to Wesley
  • Great back-shoulder throw on Cantrell TD
  • Coutee is a FREAK!
  • Wesley with TWO end zone drops?
  • Third Quarter scramble was IMPRESSIVE
  • Coutee FROZE a man with a move to earn more yards
  • Touch on fades and corners? YUCK!

Opponent: Kansas

• Swing passes are consistently poorly thrown
  • Cantrell bailed Mahomes out with a magnificent grab in the first quarter
  • Giles has wheels (first quarter TD)
  • Cameron Batson’s a playmaker!

• Opponent: Kansas

• Swing passes are consistently poorly thrown
  • Cantrell bailed Mahomes out with a magnificent grab in the first quarter
  • Giles has wheels (first quarter TD)
  • Cameron Batson’s a playmaker!
  • WTF INT to Smithson
  • Giles is FAST!
  • Pressure just causes Mahomes to panic
  • Back foot throws are the rule (not the exception)

Opponent: Oklahoma State

• Throws to sidelines? WOOF!
  • Ran into a sack
  • Cantrell having a day!
  • Long, wind-up delivery
  • SICK ball fake on a read-option play
  • One-handed grab by Cantrell!
  • Great contested catch by Batson
  • So many wayward throws
  • Mahomes line is GAB-BAGE!
  • Fourth Quarter near pick in the redzone was TURR-IBLE (Charles Barkley voice)
  • Giles can go with the ball in his hands!

Opponent: Texas Christian

• It’s unbelievable how rarely he sets his feet and steps into his throws
  • Delayed blitzes/stunts/twists cause Mahomes BIG problems
  • Batson makes plays out of no play
  • Great throw on the run to Reginald Davis III for a TD
  • Batson bailed Mahomes out on what would have been a sure interception
  • Costs receivers yardage with high throws
  • With time, he can still struggle to find an open receiver or throw one open
  • Hangs on to the ball TOO LONG TOO MUCH
  • Overtime scramble for a TD! WOW!

Opponent: Texas

• Good catch by Willies with defender draped all over him
  • Willies is a tough receiver who runs well after the catch
  • DIME to Giles late in the first quarter
  • Giles tiptoed the sidelines beautifully on early TD grab
  • Maybe the best game I’ve watched Mahomes play
  • Flashes the potential to succeed at the next level in this game
  • 3rd & 15 Houdini escape act (second quarter play)
  • Keeps cool despite collapsing pocket (third quarter play)
  • Great throw on a fade route (would-be TD to Cantrell)
  • Batson tough run after catch for a TD
  • Like how he keeps his eyes downfield with chaos around him
  • Willies has the look of an NFL receiver (big guy who can run)
  • LASER to Cantrell (fourth quarter play)
  • DIME to Giles for a near TD
  • GREAT touch to Cantrell on shallow cross
  • Mahomes has a tell (dips the ball below his waist just before delivering it)
  • Cantrell having another day!
  • Tough pick to nullify a great comeback

Opponent: Kansas State

• Giles with good move to sidestep defender and get a first down (first quarter play)
  • GOOD catch by Giles on a high-throw (first quarter play)
  • DIME to Lauderdale…over-the-shoulder
  • INCREDIBLE ball fake on the keeper play (TD)
  • Mahomes throws often get his receivers blown up (recognition issue?)
  • Play fake, TERRIBLE pick-6 (RECOGNITION?)
  • Coutee’s so good. Great vision! Great open-field runner! SPEED! TD catch and run!
  • Second Quarter TD run of 16 yards. SUPERB! (audible WHOA)
  • Deep throw to Coutee – 45 yards in the air
  • Coutee climbed a ladder to haul in a tall throw from Mahomes (second quarter play)
  • Lauderdale is talented. Will be good if he continues to improve.
  • DUMB sack on 3rd & 11 (third quarter play)
  • Tough third down conversion by Willies!
  • Great deep sideline throw to Giles
  • Tough third down catch-and-run for first down to Giles
  • Beautiful throw on would-be TD to Cantrell (called back)
  • Coutee FIGHTS for extra yards!
  • Cantrell sticks out on tape! Good possession WR with sticky hands! (he’d be great in NE)
  • STUPID touchdown grab at the back of the end zone by Batson!

Overall, I think the negatives outweigh the positives with Mahomes. His issues with inconsistent mechanics are deeply troubling to me. He’ll need time to adjust his throwing motion, learn to properly set his feet and step into his throws to correct his issues with ball placement. He’s a bit more of project than a Day 1 prospect should be in my estimation.

I think with the right coach, he could eventually become a good football player in the National Football League. As it stands, he has far too many bad habits to warrant the 27th overall pick. Were the Chiefs in rebuild mode, he’d be an excellent draft choice in the middle rounds. They’d be in perfect position to afford him all the developmental time necessary.

Even late in the first round, I think the Chiefs should pursue a more NFL-ready player. There are other quarterbacks, with comparable talent and development needs, that can be had in the third and fourth round. Sadly, the tape did more to expose Mahomes than cement him as the right decision for Kansas City in Round One. He has enough talent that the pick shouldn’t disappoint anyone in the Kingdom, but he also comes with enough question marks to make it the decision imprudent.

I know full well this post could potentially be highly controversial so I encourage you to watch the game film and come to your own conclusions. Of course this still doesn’t answer the question of who I think the Chiefs should draft with the 27th pick, but there is time still for having that conversation. It’s a process (of elimination). I plan to take a look at Deshaun Watson next week. 

Would you be willing to take a risk on a player with your top pick simply for the sake of the organization finally drafting another quarterback in the first round? Do you have a different opinion of the same game tape? Is there another quarterback you’d prefer to have in the top round? Use the comment section below to weigh in on the subject. As always, we appreciate your readership and support!

Until next time, Addicts!

• Derrick Willies made a GREAT catch in traffic to avoid Mahomes’ pass being picked
  • Batson’s damn good in the open field
  • Coutee with a ridiculous second quarter TD catch
  • Slant throws typically high
  • SICK catch for TD by Willies to end the half
  • 3rd and 9 sack in third quarter was AWFUL! He lost 22 yards!!
  • Great play on a QB draw!

First: Alex Smith is not perfect. Far from it. Let's get that out there. Alright?

Next:  Whomever is drafted for QB this year is likely to not start or suck. They are all worse than Alex Smith at this point.

Three: It is not as easy as deciding to draft a QB high. Most do not work out in the NFL.

In fact, there are only a few QBs who are worth their salaries, and most of them are nearing the end of their useful life in the NFL.

Finally Four: There will be a price paid for any team picking a QB in the first round, and it not working out. It usually takes three years to recover from a first round blunder.

A top notch QB is the best path to the Superbowl. It isn't as easy as deciding to make it happen. A lot of luck (not Luck) comes into play.

Looking at the most recent draft is not fair, because it is not a long enough evaluation. Dak Prescott (someone, who I liked in the draft), did well, but he did not win a Superbowl. He played behind the best OL in the NFL, with some of the best receivers, and had the luxury of having a rookie RB, who was nothing less than spectacular. Send him to Cleveland, and I dare say he would have failed to accomplish the same.

2000 draft

18 Chad Pennington

65 Giovanni Carmazzi  

75 Chris Redmond

163 Tee Martin

168 Marc Bulger

183 Spergon Wynn

199 Tom Brady

202 Todd Husak

205 Jujuan Seider

212 Tim Rattay

214 Jarious Jackson