Alex Smith Perfect Fit For Jets Offense

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After releasing Mangold it looks like they have something like 24 million is cap space...if this stuff with Revis goes south, they will gain an extra 9-15 million depending on if the NFLPA lets them get the guaranteed money back. It's possible...

whats up with Reavis?

Darrelle Revis has declining skills, and last year was his worst ever. So, can the Jets find a way to get out of his contract?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/darrelle-revis-4275/

Darrelle Revis signed a 5 year, $70,121,060 contract with the New York Jets, including $39,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $14,024,212. In 2017, Revis will earn a base salary of $13,000,000, a roster bonus of $2,000,000 and a signing bonus of $1,000,000. Revis has a cap hit of $15,333,333 while his dead money value is $6,000,000.

On the surface it seems the Jets are on the hook, and would have to fork over dead cap money. However, the Jets actually save $9 1/3 M in cap space because his salary is so high, and only $6M of it is guaranteed. The other thing is a little thing called a character clause. The Jets had one in Revis' contract, and now they can void that $6M in guaranteed money. In other words, they will gain $15,333,333 by saying goodbye.

The deal states Revis could be in default of his contract -- and have all of his 2017 guaranteed pay wiped out -- if he is "fined or suspended by the NFL or Club for Conduct Detrimental" or "fined or suspended for violation of the NFL Personal Conduct Policy" or "engages in personal conduct reasonably judged by Club to adversely affect or reflect on Club." http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/02/what_do_darrelle_revis_felony_fight_charges_mean_f.html

The standard for the team is not whether Revis wins his felony charges. It is whether Revis' character damaged the reputation of the Jets organization.

Also, I think the Bears are the best option for Alex Smith.

Big media market, but not cutthroat like NY.  John Fox is pretty mediocre, but at least is a proven veteran Coach.  He'd have a good RB to hand off to, a go-to target (if they decide to keep Jeffery), good pieces in place on the Offensive Line and actually a fairly decent WR2.  A strong rookie TE, and a little more addons to the line and the Offense would be in good shape.

The Bears record was bad, but they really aren't that far off.  The Jets are a dumpster fire.

Also, I think the Bears are the best option for Alex Smith.

Big media market, but not cutthroat like NY.  John Fox is pretty mediocre, but at least is a proven veteran Coach.  He'd have a good RB to hand off to, a go-to target (if they decide to keep Jeffery), good pieces in place on the Offensive Line and actually a fairly decent WR2.  A strong rookie TE, and a little more addons to the line and the Offense would be in good shape.

The Bears record was bad, but they really aren't that far off.  The Jets are a dumpster fire.

Cutler gets paid the same whether they cut him, or if he remains on the team. No one is going to trade for him, and take over his contract. The Bears may be screwed by the man from Santa Claus

Cutler gets paid the same whether they cut him, or if he remains on the team. No one is going to trade for him, and take over his contract. The Bears may be screwed by the man from Santa Claus

Cutler is basically irrelevant and I think he ends up retiring after the Bears cut him.

They will be up to around 65 mil in cap space once they kick him out.

Cutler is basically irrelevant and I think he ends up retiring after the Bears cut him.

They will be up to around 65 mil in cap space once they kick him out.

He's one of the few guys I don't want to replace Alex. He's the most overrated qb of the last 10 years. Garbage.

I would be open to that. I wonder what they think of Foles. You got to fix that line because he can't run for his life like Smith, but with protection he has a great arm and pretty good vision. I have always liked Foles.

Resigning Foles and cutting Smith uses up a lot of money and obligates you for several years. You would have to be confident it is a significant upgrade for that to make sense.

You have seen the best of Alex Smith, it's all downhill from here, so the Chiefs can either be proactive or reactive.

No argument there. But we may have seen the best of Foles, I don't know. It's not whether Smith takes a step forward, it's about going from SB contender to being the 2016 Broncos. Good enough to get a crappy draft pick, but not make the playoffs.

The difference between us (1st place) and the Broncos (3rd place) is Alex Smith. No way I trade Smith for Simien or something worse. I know it hurts, but we were 12-4 with the guy most want to tar and feather.

The Chiefs could lose DJ, EB, JC, DP, and TH is short order. These were the leaders on the team. Without them this team becomes known for Kelce, and Peters as the leaders. Huge drop off. The Chiefs need to do something fast. This team could turn south, and burn like Atlanta, the one in the movies that was a speed bump for Sherman

Archived