Alex Smith Perfect Fit For Jets Offense

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get tired of hearing this. Smith was releasing the ball on average almost a half-second earlier than Dak Prescott. That's half-an-eternity in NFL time. Among qualified quarterbacks, Smith was at the top of the list for snap-to-release times. Prescott was at the bottom. To compare the Cowboys' line to the Chiefs' line is ludicrous.

Because that's Alex's game right? The west coast offense. By design?

Because that's Alex's game right? The west coast offense. By design?

Releasing the ball early is something Smith can do. The film shows that in a lot of cases, the line would have given up more pressures if he hadn't gotten the ball out of his hand as quickly.

Bill Walsh, the Hall of Fame Head Coach considered the father of the West Coast Offense, didn't design the offense to accommodate a sorry offensive line. The offense only worked according to its potential with the combination of a quarterback capable of making quick decisions (check) and an offensive line capable of blocking long enough for the offense to spread out the defense laterally (whoops).

West Coast Offense is not necessarily synonymous with "quick release". The quick release becomes necessary when the offensive line isn't good enough to hold its own. The quick release is an accommodation for the team, not for Smith. Any conclusion to the contrary reflects a lack of comprehension of what the West Coast Offense has always been.

That doesn't make any sense at any level.

Actually yeah, it does and has been explained. Many times.

It would make sense to people who study PBE that things tend break down after 3 seconds, even on good lines, so the key is to have the ball released in under 3 seconds if you want to keep your QB protected.

Having a quick release seems to be your lock in argument and it's just off.

Actually yeah, it does and has been explained. Many times.

It would make sense to people who study PBE that things tend break down after 3 seconds, even on good lines, so the key is to have the ball released in under 3 seconds if you want to keep your QB protected.

Having a quick release seems to be your lock in argument and it's just off.

Dan Marino had a quick release. 1st read, 2nd read, 3rd read. Boom the ball is gone. Quick decision. Quick release. AA takes a snap and throws a bubble screen and slant to a predetermined receiver immediately. There's quick release and a play designed to be quick. AA is quick to release from the route tree. If prime receiver isn't wide open, it's off to the sideline. Rarely a second read.

Dan Marino had a quick release. 1st read, 2nd read, 3rd read. Boom the ball is gone. Quick decision. Quick release. AA takes a snap and throws a bubble screen and slant to a predetermined receiver immediately. There's quick release and a play designed to be quick. AA is quick to release from the route tree. If prime receiver isn't wide open, it's off to the sideline. Rarely a second read.

Yep, missle lock.

Smith's season-long average time-to-throw was 2.38 seconds. Tyrod Taylor's was 3.12. (Taylor was the only quarterback with a time-to-throw greater than 3.12.) Wherever your concepts come from on this, they are not based on fact. Apologies for the Chiefs' pass-protection certainly have no answer for why Nick Foles also had to have a similar time-to-throw (2.36 seconds, unqualified). It wasn't because of Smith, it was because of the line.

What's your stake in fixing yourself in such an illogical, contradictory position on this?

J-Mac had a bad year.. fact. He has a portfolio that states that he is a solid WR..probably a better #2 than a #1 but that's a Chiefs curse along with a HOF QB..they seem to be a pipe dream. I don't agree with releasing J-Mac but I think that 2017 will be Average Alex's and J-Mac's last year unless they light up the score boards and challenge NFL seasonal records just not personal or team records.

I think Tyreek is more of a Dante Hall than a Devin Hester..if we are lucky he will be a Golden Tate and not a Rocket Ismael ( yes I have seen a lot of ND football in my day)

I am hoping Hill is a young less angry Steve Smith. I really think he has more upside than any of thise guys. He will have to stay hungry and humble. His height at 5'10" doesn't concern me at all. I just hope he keeps his head on straight.

Agreed. Marino had a lightning fast release. I think they will just have to coach Alex to step up and not bail to the right so much. It will be a hard habit to break.

Agreed. Marino had a lightning fast release. I think they will just have to coach Alex to step up and not bail to the right so much. It will be a hard habit to break.

He's gonna be 34, he's not going to change who he is. Alex will always play not to lose. Its made him alot of money.    I was hoping that at some point he would just say fuck it and let the ball go, but he has that internal clock in his head and when it hits, he panics and runs even if there is  little pressure. I dont know how many times i have seen him  just run out of the pocket.  YOu see other QB's moving around inside the pocket buying time. Alex does little to none of that.

I wonder what Marino's average time-to-throw was considering he was known for throwing so many deep balls. It's hard to throw the ball deep when the ball has to be out of your hand in just over two seconds.

You get rid of it quick by throwing the ball high and letting your WR run under it 50 yards down the field.

So safeties are too stupid to cover nine-routes now?

I'm trying to find some video of deep shots:

Matt Ryan to Taylor Gabriel in Super Bowl LI: Approximately 3.0 seconds to throw 33 yards downfield (a total gain of 35 yards).

Tom Brady to Chris Hogan in AFC Conference Championship: Approximately 1.6 seconds to throw 15 yards downfield (a total gain of 26 yards).

Tom Brady to Chris Hogan in AFC Conference Championship: Approximately 2.9 seconds to throw 16 yards downfield (a total gain of 39 yards).

[Look at the YAC rack up with increased time-to-throw]

Ben Roethlisberger to Sammy Coates in AFC Conference Championship: Approximately 2.6 seconds to throw 23 yards downfield (a total gain of 30 yards).

Ben Roethlisberger to Antonio Brown in AFC Divisional Playoff: Approximately 3.6 seconds to throw 46 yards downfield (a total gain of 52 yards).

Nah, I'm done. My initial attempts to gather data show a pattern of the biggest plays on the quickest releases involving underneath passes taken for big YAC.

I'm standing my ground on this: Very few passes that travel 50 yards in the air would be thrown within 2 seconds of the snap. It takes a peculiar combination of an especially free release by the receiver and especially bad safety play for such execution to lead to a favorable result.

The burden of proof doesn't rest on me for this one. Logic explains arc, but when you factor in an opposing team of 11 intelligent players, the argument is not practical.

When Alex Smith has been given time, and when he develops trust in his receiver, he can get the job done. You don't improve this team by deleting Alex Smith from the team without first finding a replacement. It just doesn't work that way. Is he ideal? No. Is he serviceable? If Sam Bradford is the Jets' QBOTF, and Tom Savage is Houston's man, I'll take Smith.

Everyone is pushing Carr. Well, Carr is limited. He has a nice throwing arm, but the man is not bright. So, he will make mistakes, and he has trouble with an expanded offensive scheme. When Carr faced Smith, Smith beat him 6 out of 6 times. I think there are 8 or 9 quarterbacks clearly better than Alex Smith. There are about ten who are at the same level. There are 12 or 13 clubs with quarterbacks considerably worse than Smith.

Smith took a step backward in 2016. He had a better OL, and I think better receivers than before. He should have performed much better. Tyreek Hill connected on a few long passes, but most were not on target. I want to see if they get in sync better this year.

Good routes and timing, the QB throws the ball to an area and the WR runs a good route to get under it.

And the safety does nothing? You talk like there isn't a guy to help the cornerback out when the quarterback is winding up a-second-and-a-half after the snap.

If we're talking three-flies-up-style football, I get where you're going. It's just that that's not how quarterbacks in the league actually play.

I wonder what Marino's average time-to-throw was considering he was known for throwing so many deep balls. It's hard to throw the ball deep when the ball has to be out of your hand in just over two seconds.

I don't know. What impressed me was the time between deciding where to go with it and releasing it. He had good protection and ran a lot of deep plays so I am probably off base with time from snap to throw.

I don't know. What impressed me was the time between deciding where to go with it and releasing it. He had good protection and ran a lot of deep plays so I am probably off base with time from snap to throw.

This is a common thread among teams that are consistently in the playoffs.

When Alex Smith has been given time, and when he develops trust in his receiver, he can get the job done. You don't improve this team by deleting Alex Smith from the team without first finding a replacement. It just doesn't work that way. Is he ideal? No. Is he serviceable? If Sam Bradford is the Jets' QBOTF, and Tom Savage is Houston's man, I'll take Smith.

Everyone is pushing Carr. Well, Carr is limited. He has a nice throwing arm, but the man is not bright. So, he will make mistakes, and he has trouble with an expanded offensive scheme. When Carr faced Smith, Smith beat him 6 out of 6 times. I think there are 8 or 9 quarterbacks clearly better than Alex Smith. There are about ten who are at the same level. There are 12 or 13 clubs with quarterbacks considerably worse than Smith.

Smith took a step backward in 2016. He had a better OL, and I think better receivers than before. He should have performed much better. Tyreek Hill connected on a few long passes, but most were not on target. I want to see if they get in sync better this year.

Average Alex. We have him because we are incapable of getting anything better. In order to replace AA we need a QB with the following qualifications: Throw a bubble screen and an occasional slant, bail too soon under light pressure without standing in to look downfield for 2nd read, must have a quick release when throwing to the check down.

Archived