Chiefs are negotiating a deal with Berry

I heard EB's cap hit for 2017 is a little more than $5M. This makes sense as the Chiefs did have $10 M in Cap, and now are down to $5M in space.

$20 M in signing bonus equates to $3 1/3M against the cap. The Chiefs may have paid him $2M in salary for the first year. That eats up $22 M of the $40 M in guaranteed money. Usually, the first three or four years are guaranteed, and the final two are not. So, let's say the next three average $6 M in salary. The cap hit could be as low as

2017 $5.33 M

2018 $9.33 M

2019 $9.33 M

2020 $9.33 M

The final two years might not be guaranteed. The remaining $78 - $40 M = $28 M / 2 =  $14 M

Therefore, potentially

2021 $17.33 M with $6.66 M and $10.66 M in cap savings should he be cut.

This is obviously and intentionally exaggerated. I only did it this way to illustrate a point. A $78 M contract does not mean a player will be paid $78 M. The $40 M is pretty much guaranteed. The rest depends on the actual duration of the contract. Eric Berry is 28 years old. What kind of a player will he be at age 33? Maybe he only plays 4 years more. Anything more is bonus.

I will wait for the details on his and LDTs contract before I decide if it is a great deal.. for the chiefs or for Berry..

or both. but the numbers suggest something pretty close to 7 or 8 mill a year in cap hits. 

most of salary actually in roster bonus's, and even part of the second 20 million guaranteed in roster bonus's

if those are in the last two years of the contract... say year 5 and year 6 2 or 3 million or more in roster bonus's then this is a

very team friendly deal.. as in 35 mill actually guaranteed and around 7 mill a year.. for the first 4 years..

this is the way 4 year contracts look, these days.. with the extra money the agent gets to brag about but the player

will never see. 

but the way things have gone, they have damn sure done his agent a favor.. 

Archived