Chiefs Scheduled to meet with several QB's at Combine

No Surprise here, pretty sure every team is meeting with one or more of these guys, guess they want to calm the fanbase who got worked up over Dorsey's comments yesterday :o

INDIANAPOLIS

It has been a mind-blowing 34 years since the Chiefs have drafted a quarterback in the first round. It is a ridiculous streak and might stretch to 35 years, depending on what they do with the 27th overall pick in this NFL Draft.

But if the Chiefs once again pass on selecting a quarterback — a fate so many fans seemed resigned to — it certainly won’t be because of a lack of information, as the club has conducted, or plans to conduct, formal interviews with several top quarterbacks at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Among them: Notre Dame’s DeShone Kizer, Clemson’s Deshaun Watson, North Carolina’s Mitchell Trubisky, Texas Tech’s Patrick Mahomes II, Miami’s Brad Kaaya and Pittsburgh’s Nathan Peterman, who all mentioned during their media sessions Friday that they had formal interviews scheduled with the Chiefs.

Historically, formal interviews are often indicators of a team’s interest because each club only gets 60 15-minute sit-downs with each prospect per combine.

Of the six known quarterbacks the Chiefs scheduled sit-down interviews with, Kizer, Trubisky and Watson have consistently been talked about as first-round picks, with Mahomes, Kaaya and Peterman all garnering second-day buzz.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article136320493.html#storylink=cpy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McCaffrey will be a slot receiver in the NFL, IMHO. His route running, and the way he sets up blocks will make him difficult to cover.

I think he's what you would get if Danny Woodhead had gay sex with Wes Welker and they made a baby.

Will probably see a split at RB and as a slot WR. I think he's tailor made for the Baltimore Ravens.

Patrick Mahomes' hands measure 9", and may drop in the draft. There are concerns about his attitude toward being coached.

Nathan Peterman may be the better choice. He has 9 3/4 to 10 inch hands, and played in cold weather conditions. Peterman has the arm to throw to any part of the field. He is pretty good on longer throws, but his mechanics affected his efficiency in mid range throws.

Peterman has good, quick feet, but his footwork needs help. Without a consistent throwing position, balls tend to sail. He can learn this. At worst, Peterman should be a good back up.

What were Dorsey's comments yesterday?

My memory may be selective hear being a fan, but I member the Chiefs talking up everybody but who they are interested in. They play the draft game very well and no seems to know who they want.

The fact that it leaked last year that they wanted Lynch tells me they had no interest in him. They likely made Denver trade up for a player that would have been there and planned on trading down the whole time. I would not plan on them taking someone that they are publicly high on.

Nah, the Chiefs aren't that clever. They actually wanted Paxton Lynch.

I went back and watched more Peterman games, and I'd have to say that he's more of a project than I originally thought. Very erratic in the pocket and played a lot of games like either his pants were on fire or he had smoked some crack cocaine before hitting the field. His play was just allover thr place.

I went back and watched more Peterman games, and I'd have to say that he's more of a project than I originally thought. Very erratic in the pocket and played a lot of games like either his pants were on fire or he had smoked some crack cocaine before hitting the field. His play was just allover thr place.

You can't possibly know that. We are both just guessing. What I am saying is it would be the first pick we heard rumors about before the pick. That is just not their MO. They are more clever than you give them credit in the draft and in FA. I think there record is testament to that.

What are the chances they draft a QB then let the draft pick and Bray fight it out for the back up spot.

Any QB they draft will likely be the #3 and ideally inactive on gamedays if Reid has his way. I could see a FA coming in for cheap competing with Bray.

You can't possibly know that. We are both just guessing. What I am saying is it would be the first pick we heard rumors about before the pick. That is just not their MO. They are more clever than you give them credit in the draft and in FA. I think there record is testament to that.

The thing this, I don't think tbey were trying to be clever. The FO has a lot of loose lips.

They spent a lot of time scouting him at Memphis, meeting with him during the winter and bringing him in for a pre-draft visit. I haven't heard a solid word that the Chiefs weren't interested, but his agent said that the Chiefs were going to take him. I don't see why his agent would be compelled to make shit up by that point.

The fact thst they had to work most of their clock to trade that pick to the 49ers, for a less than ideal return, leads me to think they had no trade plans in hand.

Think their plan all along was to move up for the WR that the Vikings took, and to take Paxton Lynch if they failed.

You said something had me thinking. You said that why would his lie about the Chiefs saying they were for sur taking him. I don't think he would, but that isn't really the question. The question is why would the Chiefs tell an agent (who is communicating with multiple teams) there draft plan?

The agent is obligated to his client to use that information to get him taken higher. He would tell other teams they have to trade up to get him. And tell teams picking earlier there are teams all in on their client. Whatever it takes to get him picked earlier. That's the guy's job. Makes more money for himself and his client.

Does that make sense?

You said something had me thinking. You said that why would his lie about the Chiefs saying they were for sur taking him. I don't think he would, but that isn't really the question. The question is why would the Chiefs tell an agent (who is communicating with multiple teams) there draft plan?

The agent is obligated to his client to use that information to get him taken higher. He would tell other teams they have to trade up to get him. And tell teams picking earlier there are teams all in on their client. Whatever it takes to get him picked earlier. That's the guy's job. Makes more money for himself and his client.

Does that make sense?

Yeah, except that's not what happened.

The agent didn't say anything until after the Broncos had already taken Lynch, so there was no benefit to make shit up.

They've were high on Manziel and not sly about that, either.

To move on from old stuff that means nothing anymore, think it's interesting that Matt Nagy is working Mahomes through his drill.

Yeah, I am saying the agent was honest, but the Chiefs were playing the game. I don't think they wanted Lynch or Manziel. That is what I am saying. We can agree to disagree about their skill with playing the draft game.

Sure it's a guessing game, but I think fans and the media really hype the smokescreen angle a hell lot harder than teams ever use it. FO executives know eachother fairly well and can decipher a lot of the bullshit.

Judging how Dorsey handled the respective choices (reaching hard for Dee Ford right after the Browns traded one spot in front of them to take Manziel and having a fire sale with their first rounder last year) leads me to think there's some truth.

There have been a bunch of leaks in the Dorsey era.

That can be said about the entire field of quarterbacks, because it is true. It has often been said Garoppolo would be the #1 QB taken if he were in this draft. I feel as if part of that is the media carrying the water for the Patriots, but not all. It isn't as if he was the best thing coming out of the draft in 2014. He was good, but worthy of the late 2nd round pick, where he was taken. Derek Carr appears to be the # 1 QB, but I am not a fan of Carr. He isn't a smart quarterback. Despite the tutoring he got from his older brother, Carr only managed to get a 20 on the wonderlic test. Garoppolo earned a 28, by the way.

As far as pure talent, the best QB in this draft is DeShone Kizer. He has a rocket arm, moves well, has ideal size, and is smart. The problem for me is he was bad at times last year. Some of his plays were eye open-ing-ly bad. He lost a lot of talent off the team his junior year, but it still does not begin to explain how bad he was at times (both his junior and senior years). The guy who continued to come up big was the other Deshawn (Watson). He is more of a running QB, less ideal size, not quite as good of an arm, and smart, but he won big games. Watson is incredibly flawed too. If you look at either of these players, their footwork, and technique is all over the map.

Going down the list, the same can be said about whomever comes next. Mitchell (don't Trubisky is the closest to being a ready for the NFL QB, but he has a couple of hitches. One, he is inexperienced (only played in a handful of mop up games before his senior year). Two, he lacks an ideal frame for someone who runs a lot. Three, he poorly chooses when to rip the ball. Four (this could be said about most of these players), he is primarily a shotgun QB (98% of his snaps from shotgun). Look at Mahomes feet, and varying positions of his arm. This is not by design. He is erratic. Yet, Mahomes had a strong enough arm to get away with it in college. Again, he is a system QB, who will have to learn new footwork technique in the NFL. Plus, it is rumored he is not very coachable, and has small hand size.

The one thing that is true about this list of players is they are all projects, and none should be ready to start right away. So, if you are going to pick a QB from this list, why pick one high? If they are all mechanical nightmares, then maybe you should pick one who is teachable, and not a high risk.

Peterman, Nathan not J. ( of Seinfeld fame) is only worth a peak if he stays a value (low third at most). His pro-style offense experience gives him an advantage. He needs help with footwork, and technique, but maybe not as much as someone who has never played under the center.

Another guy who is unheralded, but has talent is Jerod Evans. Evans has no rating because he is a bit of a blank slate. He has good size, and excellent mobility. He is smart, and has a strong arm. The knock on Evans is he is an unknown. He went to Air Force, but went back home after an ACL injury his freshman year. Instead of returning, he went the junior college way. After exhibiting his playing ability, Evans decided against Texas A&M, and picked VA Tech. Virginia Tech was a good choice, because he could work under head coach Justin Fuente, and Brad Cornelsen. Cornelsen is the OC, and a QB coach. He helped develop Paxton Lynch, and is one of the best in the business.

Watson will go early, maybe to the Jets at 6.

I heard on radio that the titans are shopping #5, wonder what it would cost to move up to that slot?

1st and 2nd at a minimum prob with something else tossed in

The Jets have #6 up for sale as well....

would the chiefs listen????

I heard on radio that the titans are shopping #5, wonder what it would cost to move up to that slot?

1st and 2nd at a minimum prob with something else tossed in

The Jets have #6 up for sale as well....

would the chiefs listen????

I'd give them Alex

Yeah, except that's not what happened.

The agent didn't say anything until after the Broncos had already taken Lynch, so there was no benefit to make shit up.

They've were high on Manziel and not sly about that, either.

Teams don't call the agents later and say that "yeah we weren't serious when we told you that."

There's a chance that the Chiefs told the agent that before the pick and we don't know what he did with that information between then and the pick. After it was picked, he talked publicly.

Archived