Chiefs Scheduled to meet with several QB's at Combine

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your quotation of an old saying is irrelevant.

What's irrelevant about an athlete dominating in NCAA, where most players wouldn't make an NFL practice squad? He's not an NFL-caliber quarterback yet. His past is far more relevant than the future some prognosticators are trying to manufacture for him.

Alex Smith has more playoff wins than Prescott, and earned that with substantially less talented offenses. Prescott has to avoid succumbing to the dreaded sophomore slump. He also has to hold up under fire in the inevitable event that things go south for the offensive line that has protected him so well so far.

We have a lot of picks and no money.  I don't see them trading away what they would have to, to move up that far.  Would be exciting, though.

I'm with you on this. The Chiefs need to draft a lot of players to keep their payroll in check. It seems to be one of Dorsey's methods, and it makes sense. He does what is necessary (even to the point of overpaying) to retain key players. Then he works hard to add rookies. He has done an amazing job finding junk off other teams, and undrafted free agents in addition to scouring for players in the draft. Continually churning the depth of the team, and making improvements, no matter how small, is his essential improvement over past regimes.

I'm with you on this. The Chiefs need to draft a lot of players to keep their payroll in check. It seems to be one of Dorsey's methods, and it makes sense. He does what is necessary (even to the point of overpaying) to retain key players. Then he works hard to add rookies. He has done an amazing job finding junk off other teams, and undrafted free agents in addition to scouring for players in the draft. Continually churning the depth of the team, and making improvements, no matter how small, is his essential improvement over past regimes.

It's the model the Seahawks have used, and they're 1-1 in Super Bowls in the last four years for it. Their only one mistake was committing to Russell Wilson, even though he was never the primary reason for their success.

The Seahawks are a dark horse candidate to take a quarterback on day two.

so you are saying it would take 11 picks to move up to get Foster....cannot see any team being dumb enough to do that.

I realized late last night after reading that Foster looked so awesome that he will go at least top 10 and so i have come to semi-accept

that the chiefs will be in the Mahomes, Peterman, Dobbs, Kaya etc tier and hope that lighting can strike as it did for brady and Prescott

Dorsey is not a riverboat gambler and i don't see the chiefs making that climb to get Foster or Kizer. the only way one of those guys will

end up in a KC uni is when they are FA in four years after they fail in Cleveland or chicago etc and the chiefs sign them to try to resurrect

their careers

Reuben Foster? Foster had a spaz attack in front of the medical personnel, and got sent home. He didn't do anything. There are some who have taken him out of the first round, and others who have him completely off their boards. I have said I did not think he was the best ILB in the draft. Would I take him at 27? Yeah, probably. However, that is not up to me. There could be better choices, even at ILB.

Mahomes is a 2nd round pick Peterman, Dobbs, and Kaya are third, fourth round picks. Kizer looked horrible. He has one of the strongest arms in the draft, but some of his tape was really bad in 2016. He forced a lot of throws, and put passes in bad spots. Kizer can get a lot of that fixed with good coaching. He is a healthy specimen. He is smart. However, that does not always equate to right, snap decisions in key situations. If college was a problem, it isn't getting any better in the NFL. Dobbs is a really bright guy, and very athletic, but his accuracy is all over the place. I think he was a better college player than he will be in the pros. The reason I would be in favor of drafting Dobbs is because he is such a good character guy. I think it is possible for him to be a play maker as a receiver or in the wildcat formation. Plus, there is also the remote chance he does develop into a passer, rather than someone who throws hard. Peterman looked good because he played under center. He has a lot of holes in his game. I would give him a fourth round rating, and be delighted even if the Chiefs choose to use their 3rd round compensatory pick to draft him.

It was stupid that Dak Prescott lasted until the fourth round last year. I had him much higher. He was on a bad team with a really bad offensive line, and made great chicken salad out of it. Then, he had the good fortune of being draft for a team with the best OL in the entire NFL, very good wide outs, a very good coordinator, and in front of a brittle starting QB. He did a good job, but the road was paved.

What's irrelevant about an athlete dominating in NCAA, where most players wouldn't make an NFL practice squad? He's not an NFL-caliber quarterback yet. His past is far more relevant than the future some prognosticators are trying to manufacture for him.

Alex Smith has more playoff wins than Prescott, and earned that with substantially less talented offenses. Prescott has to avoid succumbing to the dreaded sophomore slump. He also has to hold up under fire in the inevitable event that things go south for the offensive line that has protected him so well so far.

An over ten year vet has more playoff wins than a 1 year starter? Riveting shit.

Being a big fish in a small pond doesn't describe Prescott at all. You're so far off, along with your current assessment of him.

Reuben Foster? Foster had a spaz attack in front of the medical personnel, and got sent home. He didn't do anything. There are some who have taken him out of the first round, and others who have him completely off their boards. I have said I did not think he was the best ILB in the draft. Would I take him at 27? Yeah, probably. However, that is not up to me. There could be better choices, even at ILB.

Mahomes is a 2nd round pick Peterman, Dobbs, and Kaya are third, fourth round picks. Kizer looked horrible. He has one of the strongest arms in the draft, but some of his tape was really bad in 2016. He forced a lot of throws, and put passes in bad spots. Kizer can get a lot of that fixed with good coaching. He is a healthy specimen. He is smart. However, that does not always equate to right, snap decisions in key situations. If college was a problem, it isn't getting any better in the NFL. Dobbs is a really bright guy, and very athletic, but his accuracy is all over the place. I think he was a better college player than he will be in the pros. The reason I would be in favor of drafting Dobbs is because he is such a good character guy. I think it is possible for him to be a play maker as a receiver or in the wildcat formation. Plus, there is also the remote chance he does develop into a passer, rather than someone who throws hard. Peterman looked good because he played under center. He has a lot of holes in his game. I would give him a fourth round rating, and be delighted even if the Chiefs choose to use their 3rd round compensatory pick to draft him.

It was stupid that Dak Prescott lasted until the fourth round last year. I had him much higher. He was on a bad team with a really bad offensive line, and made great chicken salad out of it. Then, he had the good fortune of being draft for a team with the best OL in the entire NFL, very good wide outs, a very good coordinator, and in front of a brittle starting QB. He did a good job, but the road was paved.

Prescott was going to be a Friday choice if he didn't get a DUI in the winter. Was extremely stupid.

Being a big fish in a small pond doesn't describe Prescott at all. You're so far off, along with your current assessment of him.

Talk to me this December. Rookies that have an entire team backing them up never really impress me. Meanwhile, a lot of people are easily impressed, and end up having to ask a few years later, "What happened to that guy?" when that guy inevitably gets figured out and goes a couple seasons without getting all of the breaks.

Prescott was going to be a Friday choice if he didn't get a DUI in the winter. Was extremely stupid.

He refused to take the breath test. While he got bad press, and maybe lost a few bucks, he came out ahead. First, the case was overturned, and he was found not guilty. Second, he went to Dallas, which was an ideal location for him. In the long run, he might make a lot more money than he would have.

No one had Prescott as a round 1 pick. Jarod Goff going first was stupid. Wentz was a bit of an unknown because he played for NDSU, but most people I respect had him #1, while a few others (as did myself) thought Paxton Lynch was the best pick. I felt both the Rams picked QB too early. I had Lynch as about pick 15 in round 1, and Denver moved ahead of Kansas City to take him at 26. Soon thereafter, the Chiefs decided there was more value in moving back, and traded their pick to the 49ers. San Fran got a Guard (Joshua Garnett), who most everyone else had as a mid round 2 pick. The Chiefs threw in their 249th pick (Prince Charles Iworah),  and got pick 37 (Chris Jones), 205 (Parker Ehinger), and 178 (DJ White). Iworah had track speed, but is now on their practice team. According to PFF, only Earl Watford had a lower pass blocking efficiency rating (means he sucks). Meanwhile the Chiefs got a starting LG, and nice back up nickle back, and a guy who currently seems to have the talent to be a perennial pro bowl player In other words, San Fran really handled that bad, and Kansas City won big league.

I had Prescott as a mid 2nd round pick. I only had him there because I thought Kaepernick was worth a 3rd round, and the 49ers took him in the early second round. I think I actually got pretty close.

Yeah, I have mahonnes as a 2nd rnd guy.. top five in the 2nd.. as in if the chiefs want him they will have to take him in the first. The big hit on him, is aint nobody come from that system and done a damn thing.. Top of the line so far ... is Kolb.. 

The thing that is making me think that we might actually take him at the bottom of the first if he is there..

Is he ticks all of Andy Reeds Boxes.. In other words, It would be a  good fit, and if he is still there at the bottom of the 1st, I think the overall value, of the player, and position, on our board.. will be to much to pass up. 

Strong Arm, Quick Release, Bold, and a bit brash.. evidently from what I am understanding a fairly smart guy as well. Sure his footwork needs work, Sure he isn't nfl ready.. Sure he needs to sit behind a true NFL quarterback for a couple of years.. If all that works, he will be very effective. 

Peterman may be a good fit. All of these guys will take time to develop. College football programs are going away from the prostyle offenses. It is easier for them to develop  a dual purpose  QB, than to find, and hone the skills of a pocket passer. They aren't there, because high schools don't use that system, and colleges don't want to invest the time, and energy necessary

So, while there are quarterbacks with a lot of potential, not many have had the staying power in recent years. You can count the really good quarterbacks on your hands, and as they are getting older, there are fewer.

Cam is not a pocket thrower. Teams learned how to beat him last year. They caught up to him. Rivers, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Ryan, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger, and maybe Stafford are at the top. Romo was a pocket passer, but his better days are over. Zach made that transition. He took direct snaps under center, and that helped.

Eli Manning is 36

Rodgers is 33

Brees is 38

Brady is 39

Stafford is 29

Roethlisberger is 35

Ryan is 31

Romo is 36

Rivers is 35

Wilson is 28

Carr is 25

Quarterbacks can play longer than most positions in the NFL (other than kicker, punter, and maybe OL)  However, 35 is usually the mark where you start seeing players near the end. Ben Roethlisberger is contemplating retirement. Eli Manning is getting long in the tooth. Rivers keeps coming back, but has had little support. I don't imagine that will go on for much longer. Tom Brady was super in the second half of the SB, but he was off his gamer earlier. Time will eventually catch up with Tom Terrific. Rodgrs had a hard time getting started, but finally got into his swing. Still, Father time is calling all of these guys. It may have already caught up with Tony Romo.

The young guns seem to now be Ryan, Stafford, Wilson, Luck, Carr, and Cam. I am probably one of the only ones out here, but Carr seems flawed to me. The Chiefs are 6 wins, and zero loses against him. They tend to know how to throw him off his game. Luck has been OK, nothing special lately.. Wilson is on the top of his game, but will he be able to stay healthy in the NFL, which is not good to smallish running QBs? 

Here is one thing I know, time waits for no man. It always wins in the end.

Peterman may be a good fit. All of these guys will take time to develop. College football programs are going away from the prostyle offenses. It is easier for them to develop  a dual purpose  QB, than to find, and hone the skills of a pocket passer. They aren't there, because high schools don't use that system, and colleges don't want to invest the time, and energy necessary

So, while there are quarterbacks with a lot of potential, not many have had the staying power in recent years. You can count the really good quarterbacks on your hands, and as they are getting older, there are fewer.

Cam is not a pocket thrower. Teams learned how to beat him last year. They caught up to him. Rivers, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Ryan, Eli Manning, Roethlisberger, and maybe Stafford are at the top. Romo was a pocket passer, but his better days are over. Zach made that transition. He took direct snaps under center, and that helped.

Eli Manning is 36

Rodgers is 33

Brees is 38

Brady is 39

Stafford is 29

Roethlisberger is 35

Ryan is 31

Romo is 36

Rivers is 35

Wilson is 28

Carr is 25

Quarterbacks can play longer than most positions in the NFL (other than kicker, punter, and maybe OL)  However, 35 is usually the mark where you start seeing players near the end. Ben Roethlisberger is contemplating retirement. Eli Manning is getting long in the tooth. Rivers keeps coming back, but has had little support. I don't imagine that will go on for much longer. Tom Brady was super in the second half of the SB, but he was off his gamer earlier. Time will eventually catch up with Tom Terrific. Rodgrs had a hard time getting started, but finally got into his swing. Still, Father time is calling all of these guys. It may have already caught up with Tony Romo.

The young guns seem to now be Ryan, Stafford, Wilson, Luck, Carr, and Cam. I am probably one of the only ones out here, but Carr seems flawed to me. The Chiefs are 6 wins, and zero loses against him. They tend to know how to throw him off his game. Luck has been OK, nothing special lately.. Wilson is on the top of his game, but will he be able to stay healthy in the NFL, which is not good to smallish running QBs? 

Here is one thing I know, time waits for no man. It always wins in the end.

Peterman played under center a lot.  He will have less of a learning curve in that regard.  He still needs a lot of work, though.  I like him with our second rounder.

Deshaun Foster, not Rueben Foster :D

Archived