Free agency Signings

oldtimer

Wow. That was crazy. I guess we don't have to worry about Romo in Denver. Thank goodness Cleveland is run by morons.

That was actually a somewhat smart move by the Browns.

I think that Brock has the ability to turn it around and be a decent starter.  If you're a young starter with not a lot of confidence, seems like playing for a coach like BoB would suck; seems like a major douche.

They basically paid $16 million for a second round pick. They are trying to unload O which suggests they see no upside to him.

So, if I read the numbers correctly, they could pay $16 million for a player who's rookie contract will total around 4 million. Probably off in my numbers, but I think get what I am saying. $16 million can get you a lot in FA.

They basically paid $16 million for a second round pick. They are trying to unload O which suggests they see no upside to him.

So, if I read the numbers correctly, they could pay $16 million for a player who's rookie contract will total around 4 million. Probably off in my numbers, but I think get what I am saying. $16 million can get you a lot in FA.

Yeah, but you're missing one key element.

Even though they are overpaying all the FA's, not a lot of FA's want to play for the Cleveland Browns.  Or live in Cleveland.

Overspending for a shitload of FA's without a solid core is also reckless.  They were never going to use up all that cap space (they still have 63 million, even after that move and overpaying for some guys) so might as well use it on something  vs losing it to your opponents so they have free cap space to get better.

That's a good point. Glad I am not the owner when they bring that turd to the door. You have to feel pretty good about the Chiefs. I mean we can't win the big one, but he still have a damn good, well run team. I will take that and roll the dice in the playoffs anytime.

It's hard to say if the Browns are on the right track or not, but it appears they are taking a hard moneyball approach to building the franchise.

I think they've got like 20+ draft choices (another reason they aren't going hard in FA) over the next 2 drafts. If they can properly scout and determine who fits into the Browns system, they're going to start peaking at an ideal time.

Yeah, 14 draft picks last year, 12 draft picks the year before, 8 first round picks in the last 5 years and they still suck as bad as any team in the league.

Man o man.

A lot of poor decision making.

Brandon Weeden in the first round was a disaster, taking the advice of a homeless man to draft Johnny Manziel was a disaster.  Bringing him in without a strong locker room and support system was downright stupid.

Giving up the chance to take Julio Jones, for him and an underwhelming Nose Tackle was another disaster. 

The biggest problem for the Browns is they've only had a few very small windows of QB success.  Passing on Carson Wentz could also turn out to be a disaster for the Browns, and is why I am an advocate of if you see a QB that you like....just fucking take them.

Explain to me how Oakland can talk with Lynch and not be hammered for tampering. Lynch, though retired, technically is still Seattle's and he is not a free agent. At least I don't believe he is.

Because Lynch does not have an active contract, so technically he currently doesn't belong to a team.  When a player retires, they are moved to the Inactive list.

While he isn't a Free Agent, he's not on an Active roster.  It's a gray area.

Because Lynch does not have an active contract, so technically he currently doesn't belong to a team. When a player retires, they are moved to the Inactive list.

While he isn't a Free Agent, he's not on an Active roster. It's a gray area.

"Lynch officially retired last May with two years remaining on his contract with the Seahawks, so if he indeed files for reinstatement, Seattle would own his rights upon his return." "And, since he’s still under contract, any contact by the Raiders would be impermissible unless they were given consent by Seattle themselves."

"Lynch officially retired last May with two years remaining on his contract with the Seahawks, so if he indeed files for reinstatement, Seattle would own his rights upon his return." "And, since he’s still under contract, any contact by the Raiders would be impermissible unless they were given consent by Seattle themselves."

The Raiders haven't been in contact with Lynch, directly.

Archived