It's been open for 5 minutes

He was the 49ers best run defender according to rotoworld, he's coming off his best season last year.

No thanks

Miners set some historically terrible run defense records last year!!!

Put some weight on DJ Alexander and play the guy. He has some skills. Just play him.

No thanks

Miners set some historically terrible run defense records last year!!!

Put some weight on DJ Alexander and play the guy. He has some skills. Just play him.

Actually, Hodges was a decent second-tier player. I would be surprised if he was demanding more than a 3-year/$15 million contract.

Also know that the 49ers' first-half defense wasn't that bad. They were just worn out by the end of the game because of the terrible 49ers' offense.

Dorsey and Reid have done a great job of putting good roster together from top to bottom!! But why don't we ever have any cap money with Dorsey at the helm? Does he not manage it well or does he just overpay to much?

Dorsey and Reid have done a great job of putting good roster together from top to bottom!! But why don't we ever have any cap money with Dorsey at the helm? Does he not manage it well or does he just overpay to much?

Some bad timing with a few of these deals (Houston contract, Berry) and just some really horrendous deals and a lot of dead money.

The Chiefs have a good clip of vet starters. Expect a lot of these contracts to be purged next year.

As for last years FA news, Jeff Allen was ranked 72 out of 77 qualifying Guards by PFF in 2016.

Some bad timing with a few of these deals (Houston contract, Berry) and just some really horrendous deals and a lot of dead money.

The Chiefs have a good clip of vet starters. Expect a lot of these contracts to be purged next year.

As for last years FA news, Jeff Allen was ranked 72 out of 77 qualifying Guards by PFF in 2016.

What was Fulton? 77?

What was Fulton? 77?

Or maybe 76th, but somehow the Chiefs' offensive line wasn't one of the worst in the league.

Seriously, though: At least Fulton was substantially cheaper than Jeff Allen: Allen counted six-and-a-quarter million dollars against the cap, while Fulton counted less than three-quarters-of-a-million.

New England is wheeling and dealing, that's what it takes to go to the SB.

Watching the Patriots handle free agency reminds me of how I manage my Madden Franchise: Coach the team well and win games during the year, then sell off the expensive pieces that would compromise the cap space. The Patriots aren't afraid to let a role player go to another team to break their bank instead of the Patriots' own. Because they are careful about who they sign to a big contract, they can be opportunistic about the guys they pick up.

They are indeed wheeling and dealing. If Bob Sutton was a better defensive coordinator, the Chiefs could have been confident enough to let guys like Justin Houston and Eric Berry walk, and their replacements along with a few key pieces picked up in free agency at a bargain (something John Dorsey has been excellent at) would have been more than enough to fill the vacuum left.

But it could be worse. The Chiefs could do what the Jaguars have been doing every year for the last several years: Blow a bunch of money in free agency for a bunch of role players that will go on to have two terrible years for every one good season.

Watching the Patriots handle free agency reminds me of how I manage my Madden Franchise: Coach the team well and win games during the year, then sell off the expensive pieces that would compromise the cap space. The Patriots aren't afraid to let a role player go to another team to break their bank instead of the Patriots' own. Because they are careful about who they sign to a big contract, they can be opportunistic about the guys they pick up.

They are indeed wheeling and dealing. If Bob Sutton was a better defensive coordinator, the Chiefs could have been confident enough to let guys like Justin Houston and Eric Berry walk, and their replacements along with a few key pieces picked up in free agency at a bargain (something John Dorsey has been excellent at) would have been more than enough to fill the vacuum left.

But it could be worse. The Chiefs could do what the Jaguars have been doing every year for the last several years: Blow a bunch of money in free agency for a bunch of role players that will go on to have two terrible years for every one good season.

Meh when you have a great qb it covers a lot of deficiencies and you can afford to be picky and/or aggressive. KC does not have this luxury.

Meh when you have a great qb it covers a lot of deficiencies and you can afford to be picky and/or aggressive. KC does not have this luxury.

If Tom Brady were the highest-paid quarterback in the league, you'd have me there. It's hard to ask your quarterback to take Tom Brady money when Justin Houston's soaking in a bathtub filled with $20,000,000.

If Tom Brady were the highest-paid quarterback in the league, you'd have me there. It's hard to ask your quarterback to take Tom Brady money when Justin Houston's soaking in a bathtub filled with $20,000,000.

Maybe if his qb would have led by example and taken a below market contract...

Maybe if his qb would have led by example and taken a below market contract...

Except that Smith already had.

Smith is, and has been, a below-market rate quarterback. Very affordable in every respect. And without the benefit of the guarantees built into Tom Brady's contract.

Double-check the list of names above Smith's on the Quarterbacks Being Paid list over on overthecap.com.

Archived