DJ takes a pay cut for 2017

Seems like this is kind of a testament to the kind of environment that has come about here in KC.  Hope he can get back to the field to get this team over the top.  

Source: Chiefs LB Derrick Johnson has taken a pay cut for 2017. He got a $1M signing bonus & $1M base salary, creating ~$4.25M in cap space.

The full story on LB Derrick Johnson & FB Anthony Sherman's reworked contracts: The Chiefs - who were tight to the salary cap - have agreed to a major pay cut with linebacker Derrick Johnson, per league source. Johnson, who tore his Achilles last year, was due a base salary $4.75M for 2017 and up to $1M in per game roster bonuses. Under his new terms, he signed a deal with a $1M signing bonus and a $1M fully guaranteed base salary. It creates about $4.25M in cap space for the Chiefs and keeps a key leader around. The 2018 portion of his contract remains unchanged, other than the $500k proration of the new signing bonus. The Chiefs also negotiated a pay cut with FB Anthony Sherman, whose base salary was dropped from $1.55M to $1.1M (fully guaranteed). He had per-game roster bonuses of $12,500 that were dropped to $6,250, which created a total of $550,000 in cap space for Kansas City. These moves likely helped facilitate the recent signing of DT Bennie Logan.

If the figures being reported are accurate both for Johnson's new and previous contracts, this is a "pay cut" that actually involves taking less pay and not merely kicking the can down the road.

That's very unusual. The cynical part of me is inclined to believe that part or all of Johnson's guaranteed base salary guaranteed for 2017 by the 2016 contract applied only for injury, putting Johnson at risk of release without any more pay. If that was the case, Johnson's new contract makes sense, both for him and for the Chiefs.

Good news.

That's. Leader. I would like to see Houston follow that example. A token million would be something we would not feel and could be the difference between a ring and no ring.

He could say, here's five mill back if you sign Romo.

I'd say keep your 5 mil

Lol! I hear you. I think he would be on IR by week 3. I would just like to see more people be like Brady. Take a Workman's pay when you are an all star. It's all about championships, right? Get get it. Money is respect. I bet Marino would give 5 million for a ring.

It's a show me contract. He will get paid every bit of his contract if he meets incentives.

What this does is postpone salary cap hits. He is being paid 1 m in salary, and 1 m in signing bonus. The rest of the contract is converted to incentives. Incentives affect the 2018 season cap year.

Yep. Of course, Tamba restructured. However, the same can be said about DJ. He took some of the money in a signing bonus, which divides the cap between two seasons. The other part of the money is heavily loaded onto his final year, and in incentives. Those both affect the third year of his contract. So, if this is not guaranteed, then DJ could be released, and the Chiefs would not owe him. I have to look at it. He may have some guarantees in place. Either way, the Chiefs have discussed using DJ as a coach, so he will get compensated. The league may be interested in the arrangement, but as long as DJ is not paid as a player/coach, they really don't have a say in the matter. Elway did the same thing in Denver. So, what is good for the goose should be good for the gander.

Brady is worth $180 mill, his wife $380 mill, I'm sure he could afford a paycut. If my wife's worth was anything over a mill or two I would take a paycut also.

Every single one of those players can afford to pay cut. Every single one. I understand that it's their livelihood. I understand it's a business that is dangerous and that the owners don't care and make big bucks without risking their health. I understand the market and worth relatively speaking. But I think it's stupid shit from people ever talk about affording anything. Rookies and borderline players maybe, but even then, most/some still make six figures however long they play or are on a roster.

Brady is good enough and has a good enough team, good enough coach, and a good enough management to give up some money for his legacy. Giselle (sp.?) helps but geez, afford?

Yeah. It will be a big loss if he doesn't make it back. You just can't replace him or Houston. Critical that that get and stay health for a run. I hope Ford can play out of his mind to get a pay day. He made steps last year, but not enough.

Yeah. It will be a big loss if he doesn't make it back. You just can't replace him or Houston. Critical that that get and stay health for a run. I hope Ford can play out of his mind to get a pay day. He made steps last year, but not enough.

I'm iffy on Ford. He seems to disappear for games at a time. It seems that the Chiefs might have their own reservations: I haven't found anything suggesting that they have affirmed Ford's fifth-year option.

Every single one of those players can afford to pay cut. Every single one. I understand that it's their livelihood. I understand it's a business that is dangerous and that the owners don't care and make big bucks without risking their health. I understand the market and worth relatively speaking. But I think it's stupid shit from people ever talk about affording anything. Rookies and borderline players maybe, but even then, most/some still make six figures however long they play or are on a roster.

Brady is good enough and has a good enough team, good enough coach, and a good enough management to give up some money for his legacy. Giselle (sp.?) helps but geez, afford?

No argument here I was just stating that he didn't sacrifice that much by taking a 5 mill paycut. Personally I believe ALL entertainers are paid too much.

Brady is worth $180 mill, his wife $380 mill, I'm sure he could afford a paycut. If my wife's worth was anything over a mill or two I would take a paycut also.

Piece of unsolicited advice:  Don't ever tell your wife that she's not worth $2 million.   :lol:

Archived